Duet WiFi on Rostock Max update

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Duet WiFi on Rostock Max update

Post by mhackney »

I was one of the early beta board recipients (white board). I've been running almost non-stop for several months now and everything has been working perfectly. The built-in wifi is great and I have not had any connection issues at all. It also has fast upload speeds. And, with the improvements in the dc42 firmware and Duet Web Control, everything except the PanelDue firmware can be updated and/or edited directly from the web interface. The last dc42 release 1.15c and its accompanying DWC are super. You can edit all of the .g files in the web browser now and dc42 has support for PID auto tuning (experimental). All of this stuff is also available for earlier Duets so go upgrade if you haven't!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: Duet WiFi on Rostock Max update

Post by Tincho85 »

Hi Michael, good to hear the update is working great.
I'm very tempted to buy a Duet board myself, but I couldn't find a step by step guide (foolproof style) for us Rostock Max users.
Martín S.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Funnily enough I finally connected my Duet (0.85) to a printer over the weekend, and I have to say I was very impressed, one of the smoothest setups I've been through.
Outside of the initial firmware flash and copying on config files to the SDCard I did everything from the web interface.
I really like the fact I could specify S2 to my G1 moves and have it move the individual carriages so I verify the motor directions were correct.

I also really liked the panel due, I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it's just an SPI connection, so I could run 4 ft of cable to it, so I could locate it in a good position to see when printing, but have it "removable" for actual use.
Doing it again though I'd probably just use the web interface from a tablet, though a dedicated display is nice to have.

Now if I could bring myself to tear my RM V1 down and rewire it.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I've posted stuff here and on my blog. It isn't difficult. But since there are several versions of Rostocks there is no one document-fits-all! Basically, the process goes like this:
  • unplug printer (it had to be said!)
  • remove all the connectors from RAMBo
  • remove RAMBo
  • figure out how to remount the Duet. It has a similar form factor so it should fit in about the same location. I have a 3D printable Duet mount than can be attached to a surface (door panel, base, etc) and the Duet simply screws to it. It's on t-verse.
  • replace the wiring connectors: most of the connectors - steppers, thermistors and end stops - will have to be replaced with the molex connectors Duet uses (they are different than the RAMBo connectors)
  • mount the Duet
  • reconnect all the connectors
  • if you are going to use a PanelDue too, then mount that or use it weathered with the cable that comes with it. Attach it.
  • finally, provision the software. This is straight forward but is printer dependent and since my V1 is highly modified I can't really provide the necessary files. But the good news is that there are filks here who can AND there is not compiling firmware required to make changes or tweaks. This is one of the great advantages of the RepRapPro firmware.
If you decide to take the plunge there is plenty of help here and on the duet forum: https://www.duet3d.com/forum/index.php

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

@polygonhell - the new Duet WiFi is even easier since the latest firmware that allows firmware updates through the web interface is already installed. And the new web interface allows editing all of the configuration files in place. New new stepper (128 micro step) drivers are soooooo smooth and quiet.

I printed a case for my 7" PanelDue and attach it with Velcro to my V1 Max. I can remove it and use it handheld whenever I want. It is a very convenient and nice setup. And no cables connected except the power cord.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Thanks, it might seem silly but those quick tips gave me the push to start reading Duet's wiki page, which is a bit overwhelming at first.

I've Wantai motors (42BYGHW811P1), with a rated current of 2.5a and it looks like the DuetWifi production board can handle 2.5a.
Can I do the upgrade using this motors or it's too close to its limits?

Also, what does this mean? I never saw this parameter when slicing with S3D, Cura or Slic3r.
For best accuracy we recommend slicing with relative extruder coordinates. This avoids the accumulation of rounding errors that firmwares suffer from when using absolute extruder coordinates.
RepRapFirmware supports multiple tools (i.e. print heads). You must always define which tool you want to use at the start of a print. If you are slicing for a single-tool machine, include T0 followed by M116 in your slicer start gcode.
Martín S.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

No problem with that stepper, you will be fine.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Tincho85 wrote:Thanks, it might seem silly but those quick tips gave me the push to start reading Duet's wiki page, which is a bit overwhelming at first.

I've Wantai motors (42BYGHW811P1), with a rated current of 2.5a and it looks like the DuetWifi production board can handle 2.5a.
Can I do the upgrade using this motors or it's too close to its limits?

Also, what does this mean? I never saw this parameter when slicing with S3D, Cura or Slic3r.
For best accuracy we recommend slicing with relative extruder coordinates. This avoids the accumulation of rounding errors that firmwares suffer from when using absolute extruder coordinates.
RepRapFirmware supports multiple tools (i.e. print heads). You must always define which tool you want to use at the start of a print. If you are slicing for a single-tool machine, include T0 followed by M116 in your slicer start gcode.
What drivers are you currently using to drive those stepper motors? The 2.5A rating is rather high for any of the existing electronics boards - except for the Duet WiFi. Do you know what current you are running them at?

Relative extrusion is supported by S3D and slic3r but not Cura. However, using relative extrusion is not compulsory.

HTH David (co-designer of the Duet WiFi)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Relative extrusion is somewhat overrated, I agree it's the better solution overall, but it's not a significant improvement because almost every slicer resets the extrusion to 0 at every layer change, so errors only accumulate in a layer.
IEEE floats have 26 bits of precision in the mantissa so even if you have 100's of mm of extrusion per layer you still looking at errors in the 10^-6 mm range even with a geared extruder that's still better than 1 microstep, so I'd be surprised if it made a measurable difference.
[email protected]
Printmaster!

Post by [email protected] »

I have a 0.85 & 7" PanelDue running on a cartesian printer and I liked it so much I went with the Duet Wifi for an upgrade on my Max V2. I will start next week.

Has anyone tried to use the HE280 with the DC42 or rerap firmwares? I thought I read that it is I2C for the probing.
Max 2
xyz DaVinci 1.0 with custom FW for Repetier-Host
Future plans
NextEngine scanner
Droplite or other SLA
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The HE280 hot end is controller-agnostic. It's the accellerometer based probing board that support would have to be added for.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

[email protected] wrote:I have a 0.85 & 7" PanelDue running on a cartesian printer and I liked it so much I went with the Duet Wifi for an upgrade on my Max V2. I will start next week.

Has anyone tried to use the HE280 with the DC42 or rerap firmwares? I thought I read that it is I2C for the probing.
I have not tried the HE280, but FSR's work really well and reliably with the Duet. I like FSR's a bit better because speeds are much lower than the HE280. I have no doubt whatsoever that SeeMeCNC did their homework on the more aggressive probing with the hotend, but slow is better for me. I managed to peen close a stainless hotend my first attempt at setting up the FSR's due to a stupid mistake of having speeds too high.
[email protected]
Printmaster!

Post by [email protected] »

The HE280 hot end is controller-agnostic. It's the accellerometer based probing board that support would have to be added for.

g.
Ok..... Thank you.
Max 2
xyz DaVinci 1.0 with custom FW for Repetier-Host
Future plans
NextEngine scanner
Droplite or other SLA
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Can any of you tell me what probing speed the accelerometer-based probe needs?
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

can you post some pictures?

thanks
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

McHackney, do you have a link to your duet mount? And, im not sure if you have the maker713 effector mount, but if you do, did you design a mount for the IR reader?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

LOL, I have basically everything! I do have the 713Maker mount compliments of Matt. But I don't have the IR probe mounted to it. Although the mount I designed would work perfectly on it as well as the TrickLaser effector and probably the stock molded effector. I don't know if I posted my mount anywhere and I'm on the road right now so I'll have to check tomorrow. Same with the Duet mount.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

sounds good, happy anniversary!
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Not to be the hags rag but... any updates :D
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I'm traveling in NY for business this week and my remote access to my workstation at home is being flaky. So it might have to wait until I get home on Thursday. I'll try again tonight.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

np. :)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

IR Probe.stl.zip
(9.43 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
DuetMount.zip
(23.71 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Ok, here are the STLs for the IR Probe and Duet Mount. The Mount will work with any model of Duet from 0.6 to Wifi.

Here's some more on the IR Probe mount. The posts are 3/16" x .75" aluminum standoffs with 4-40 threads on each end. I used a layer of Kapton tape on the backside of the probe to prevent shorts if you inadvertantly touch the hotend. The screw you see at the left of the bottom photo mounts to one of the 3 ears on the effector and should work on SeeMeCNC stock, 713Maker or TrickLaser effectors. The printed part has a slot so you can adjust the probe in and out and slots for the pillars so you can adjust up and down.
FullSizeRender 16.jpg
FullSizeRender 17.jpg

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Thanks!
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!