Duetwifi + Rostock Max V1 + New PSU?

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Duetwifi + Rostock Max V1 + New PSU?

Post by longshot »

Just received my Duetwifi running through the documentation, Geneb and Mhackney's tutorials and setup guides. The power supply is what has me baffled.

The V2 has been upgraded to an industrial power supply something like a mean well PSU. The V1, my V1 is still using a modified Computer ATX PSU. The previous rambo board has me tying in 4-6 leads into a plastic connector into the rambo board.

Every picture i see with the Duetwifi has a single power connection to the hot end and heated bed i.e. they are using something like a mean well.

So 2 questions:
Can I still use an Computer ATX power supply?
Should I upgrade to a mean well style power supply? Will seemecnc's 12V 29a industrial PSU work for this Duet?

** I'm not too worried about the heated bed start up. The wait isn't the issue as long as it can hold the temps.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Re: Duetwifi + Rostock Max V1 + New PSU?

Post by ccavanaugh »

Based on prior experience with the old ATX power supply, a meanwell would be much better.

Can you hear the layer or hotend fans change speed with heated bed or hotend loads changing? If so, it means it's coming up short on ability to deliver enough power.

SeeMeCNC's should be good, and if you look around, Meanwell is making a slimmer model with the same capacity with a better rated MTB that is nice and quiet for a bit extra money.
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Post by longshot »

Its a computer ATX style power suppler, but its not the "old" one. Back a few years when I knew the original power supply wouldn't hold up, i decided to upgrade. Its still a computer style PSU, its just not a meanwell style. Call me stupid . . . i just didn't know any better back then. Its held up for a few years now with no signs of wear. I don't get the weird fan phenomenon you are talking about.

Its a decent power supply 850W EVGA Supernova Gold power supply (70amp capacity on the 12v rails). I realize that doesn't mean every 12v wire can carry up to 70Amp its a lot less per wire because of the small gauge of wire. I believe that was the reason why in with the original V1 seemecnc instructed us to "double up" on the heated bed lines. Anyway, it just be a shame I'd have to pull it. Let me know if that changes the original answer.

My thought was to use the power supply and just grab some bigger bootlace ferrules and see where that takes me. Thoughts?
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

I would stick with what you have if you upgraded and are not having any issues. No use wasting a good power supply.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

longshot wrote:Its a computer ATX style power suppler, but its not the "old" one. Back a few years when I knew the original power supply wouldn't hold up, i decided to upgrade. Its still a computer style PSU, its just not a meanwell style. Call me stupid . . . i just didn't know any better back then. Its held up for a few years now with no signs of wear. I don't get the weird fan phenomenon you are talking about.

Its a decent power supply 850W EVGA Supernova Gold power supply (70amp capacity on the 12v rails). I realize that doesn't mean every 12v wire can carry up to 70Amp its a lot less per wire because of the small gauge of wire. I believe that was the reason why in with the original V1 seemecnc instructed us to "double up" on the heated bed lines. Anyway, it just be a shame I'd have to pull it. Let me know if that changes the original answer.

My thought was to use the power supply and just grab some bigger bootlace ferrules and see where that takes me. Thoughts?
The bootlace ferrules are a good idea. I personally haven't had issues with my ATX style supply and Duet .8.5 board. I just ran four wires into each terminal.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”