HE280 Hot End and Probe board on RMAX v2

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

HE280 Hot End and Probe board on RMAX v2

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Finally got my hands on the new hot end and probe board to test out on the MAX v2 :D
Made aluminum effector platform to mount it with ball cup arms.
Just downloaded newest Repetier fw and getting ready to flash it to machine.
Still figuring out the wiring...
IMG_20160625_150517.jpg
IMG_20160625_131939.jpg
IMG_20160625_124642.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
davec3275
Printmaster!

Re: HE280 Hot End and Probe board on RMAX v2

Post by davec3275 »

Is this the new one from the Eris?
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Forget the wiring.... I want to know when you're going to sell that effector platform and those sexy ball cup carbon fiber end tips!!!
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

davec3275 wrote:Is this the new one from the Eris?
yes, it is from the Eris.
I hear it will be standard on the RMAX v3 kits to be available in a few months.
And the hot end + probe board as a retrofit kit for older machines.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

Sweet!! Maybe now I can finally use my RMax v2 properly.
bvandiepenbos wrote:
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:Forget the wiring.... I want to know when you're going to sell that effector platform and those sexy ball cup carbon fiber end tips!!!
I have a few of the aluminum platforms available now that I milled on my CNC. I expect to have a batch of (50) from my local water-jet guy in a few weeks.
http://www.tricklaser.com/Aluminum-plat ... ALU-BJ.htm

Beta testing of the rod ends is complete, they work great! I am very close to pulling the trigger on the injection mold for those ends, just need to check over the design details before committing to the hard tooling investment. They will be injection molded Delrin.
I designed our new ball-cup rod end to be a drop-in replacement for the Traxxas ends used now on our CF arms. They will be available separately for people that already have our CF arms to convert to ball-cup by simply unscrewing the Traxxas and gluing the ball-cup rod ends in place.
They will become standard on our new CF arm sets, as will the springs... no more rubber lash straps.
The balls are 3/8", the same size as the SeeMeCNC ball joints, so you can use them with the stock RMAX white plastic bar-bells.
You can literally pop the stock arms off and pop our Carbon Fiber Ball-joint Arms in place.
I am working on metal ball alternatives also, but I have not figured out a satisfactory solution that is accurate and reasonably priced. So, to begin with we will be using the white plastic bar-bells. ...they are pretty good, but I think they flex a bit, I really would like a stiffer metal alternative.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bvandiepenbos wrote:
An RMAX V3 kit in a few months? OUT :D STANDIING! :D :D :D :D
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bvandiepenbos wrote: I designed our new ball-cup rod end to be a drop-in replacement for the Traxxas ends used now on our CF arms. They will be available separately for people that already have our CF arms to convert to ball-cup by simply unscrewing the Traxxas and gluing the ball-cup rod ends in place.
They will become standard on our new CF arm sets, as will the springs... no more rubber lash straps.
The balls are 3/8", the same size as the SeeMeCNC ball joints, so you can use them with the stock RMAX white plastic bar-bells.
You can literally pop the stock arms off and pop our Carbon Fiber Ball-joint Arms in place.
I am working on metal ball alternatives also, but I have not figured out a satisfactory solution that is accurate and reasonably priced. So, to begin with we will be using the white plastic bar-bells. ...they are pretty good, but I think they flex a bit, I really would like a stiffer metal alternative.
What about the different arm lengths of the different SeeMeCNC arms?

Also, the white dumbells actually were a big improvement in print quality over the old U-joints. When I installed them, I got a dramatic improvement in fine details in my prints. I'm not sure how much those flex, but I'm pretty sure the SeeMeCNC arms are not as rigid as carbon fiber, so that might be really good for most users.

I'm looking forward to your new products!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

They're injection molded glass-filled nylon. There's no realistic reason to replace them other than for asthetics(sp).

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Nice effector Brian!
One question, can this new probe board be used with the E3D V6 or others hotends?
Martín S.
dmgdispenser
Prints-a-lot

Post by dmgdispenser »

Tincho85 wrote:Nice effector Brian!
One question, can this new probe board be used with the E3D V6 or others hotends?
nice, i'm also interested in finding out if that probeboard is usable with other hot ends, e3d v6 and others. thanks =)
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I think you could use it with other hot ends if probe pcb board was mounted at top of hot end, possibly under the bowden fitting?
The hole in pcb is only 7mm diameter, so the bowden collet should just fit through.
May be better to use another set of short standoffs on top of 3 holding groove mount, mount board to those.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

There has been testing done with the E3d V6 and the probe board (a bird tells me) and it works just fine. With the board mounted above the hot end it looks close to the Yellow Jacket and there is talk about doing connections from it also. But as of now the narrow hole in the board it a limiting factor for wiring and such. But it does function from what I have been told. Time will tell when the units are out for testing I guess.
http://713maker.com/ Custom aluminum and carbon fiber hot end mounts for the Rostock Max and Orion.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

In theory, it should be able to be used like the HE280 is, as the heatbreak of the E3D will fit through the board. However, at that point you would need to wire it to the board, as there is otherwise not enough space for it. Of course, I'm just going by CAD models, not by experimentation. I think the Volcano would fit better, as there is a little more room for the wiring to droop that way.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

That's awesome that it will (probably) work well with the E3d V6, but what about the Prometheus V2!? I'd be interested in the board if it were compatible. :)
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all... we're only mortal."-JLP
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Post by CodonExe »

bvandiepenbos wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets wrote:Forget the wiring.... I want to know when you're going to sell that effector platform and those sexy ball cup carbon fiber end tips!!!
I have a few of the aluminum platforms available now that I milled on my CNC. I expect to have a batch of (50) from my local water-jet guy in a few weeks.

Beta testing of the rod ends is complete, they work great! I am very close to pulling the trigger on the injection mold for those ends, just need to check over the design details before committing to the hard tooling investment. They will be injection molded Delrin.
I designed our new ball-cup rod end to be a drop-in replacement for the Traxxas ends used now on our CF arms. They will be available separately for people that already have our CF arms to convert to ball-cup by simply unscrewing the Traxxas and gluing the ball-cup rod ends in place.
Very nice! I have been watching your site for the ball-cup ends. ;)
Rostock Max V2, Duet Wifi, IR Probe, PanelDue 7" LCD, Heated Enclosure, Firestop cans, Thermally Fused 12v E3D V6, Berd Air, Floating Thermally fused 24v Bed, Aluminum heat spreader, PEI, Dual 12v PSUs in series.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

CodonExe wrote:
bvandiepenbos wrote:

Very nice! I have been watching your site for the ball-cup ends. ;)
Thanks.
The ball cup ends are getting closer to release. Still working out details with the injection molding company.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Jetguy
Printmaster!

Post by Jetguy »

Still extremely interested the in instant you think you have the injection molded ball arms ready. I need a custom set of 340mm long arms ASAP.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Injection mold is being built now.
I expect to have first batch of molded rod ends in 3 weeks.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Brian - if you need a hand with the wiring, or firmware, I can help you out. Send me a message and I'd be happy to.

As for using it with a v6, yes you can. I have it mounted above mine, using one of the top screws on my 713maker hotend mount to hold it in place, the bowden is routed through the middle.

Challenges with mount it like that is that, especially if you have a flying extruder, it's easy to cause effector tilt. Even a little tilt is a BIG deal with the accelerometer, and will throw off your calibration big time. Cable drag, or the bowden dragging on the center, can be enough to throw it off.

Once you sort all of that, as long as it's oriented right and cabled right, and solidly mounted, it works great. Calibration to an accuracy of +/- 0.01mm per probe point.

The firmware from seemecnc replaces G30 so you can't probe arbitrary points, it just does a 4 point calibration routine (equivilent to the "standard" calibration). If you want to be able to probe arbitrary points, I can post the bits I added to g30 in order to do so. I use it with the Delta Least Squares calibration website, and can print a 210mm circle completely flat, it calibrates down to a 0.02 deviation in 3 runs.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Here's a pic of it above my E3D v6, when I had my extruder in a "flying" config - I've since switched away from that, but haven't changed how I mount the probe. Just a cheap nylon spacer to provide some clearance for my hotend wires.

http://imgur.com/x0B7wfy
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Oh, I also find I get better accuracy calibrating with both the hotend and bed at printing temps. However, you have to be sure the hotend is completely clear of all filament, and the bed is spotless, too. Any melted filament will cause your doduble-tap probe to fail with too great of a variation between checks.
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

Sorry to piggy back onto this. When you added the probe board and uploaded the new firmware, were there any changes needed in the setting?

When I was looking at the firmware here: https://github.com/seemecnc/Firmware/tr ... 20Firmware
I noticed it mentioned inverted motors.

So I was wondering what setting changes are needed to use the probe board on the V2.

Thanks.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Hopefully Brian doesn't mind me tagging in here. Since I've been updating regularly for a while now, to keep up with the changes as they release them, here's what I change for my particular setup (rostock max v2, e3d v6, e3d titan) - your changes may vary.

Configuration.h:

Code: Select all

42: #define MOTHERBOARD 301 //RAMBO AJA
50: #define PRINTER 2 //Rostock Max v2 AJA
118: #define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 8 //changed to 8 for e3d v6 from default 97 AJA
123: #define EXT0_INVERSE 0 //changed to 0 from default 1 for titan AJA
258: #define MAXTEMP 290             //  this is the max allowable temp the hotend can be set at, any higher will trigger safety's // Changed to 290 from default 245 for e3d v6 AJA

To add probing any arbitrary point, I use the following for "case 30" (the bulk of the changes other than a closing brace are at the top) in commands.cpp:

case 30: // G30 single probe set Z0
    {
#if DISTORTION_CORRECTION
        float oldFeedrate = Printer::feedrate;
        Printer::measureDistortion();
        Printer::feedrate = oldFeedrate;
#else
        float sum = 0, sum1 = 0,last,oldFeedrate = Printer::feedrate, offsetmm = 0; //add ofsetmm = 0 AJA
        bool oldAutolevel = Printer::isAutolevelActive();
  if((com->hasS() && com->S == -1) && (com->hasX() && com->hasY())){
	Printer::homeAxis(true,true,true);
	GCode::executeFString(Com::tZProbeStartScript);
	Printer::setAutolevelActive(false);
	Printer::moveTo(com->X,com->Y,IGNORE_COORDINATE,IGNORE_COORDINATE,EEPROM::zProbeXYSpeed());
	sum1 = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); //First tap Y tower
        sum = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); //Second tap Y tower
        if ((sum1 - sum) > .1 || (sum1 - sum) < - 0.1){
          Com::printErrorFLN(Com::tZProbeFailed); //output to terminal Z probe failure
          sum = -1; // fail flag to stop probe
        }else{
            offsetmm = sum - Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE;
	    Com::printFLN(PSTR("Probed offset in mm "),offsetmm);
	}
  }else{
    //Back to normal seemecnc g30 AJA
    do{
        if(com->hasS() && com->S == 2){ // only reset eeprom if saving new value
        Printer::zLength = Z_MAX_LENGTH; // set Z height to firmware default
        EEPROM::storeDataIntoEEPROM(); // store default before calibration
        EEPROM::readDataFromEEPROM(); // would not take effect unless read!
        }
        GCode::executeFString(Com::tZProbeStartScript);
        Printer::setAutolevelActive(false);
        Printer::moveTo(0,0,IGNORE_COORDINATE,IGNORE_COORDINATE,EEPROM::zProbeXYSpeed());

sum1 = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); // First tap
          sum = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); // Second tap
          if ((sum1 - sum) > .1 || (sum1 - sum) < - 0.1){ //tap reports distance, if more or less than .1mm, it will re-run
              Com::printErrorFLN(Com::tZProbeFailed);
              sum = -1;
          }
    }while(sum < 1);
        if(com->hasS() && com->S)
        {
#if MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z
#if DRIVE_SYSTEM==DELTA
            //Printer::updateCurrentPosition();
            Printer::zLength += sum - Printer::currentPosition[Z_AXIS];
            Printer::updateDerivedParameter();
            //Printer::homeAxis(true,true,true);
#else
            Printer::currentPositionSteps[Z_AXIS] = sum * Printer::axisStepsPerMM[Z_AXIS];
            Printer::zLength = Printer::runZMaxProbe() + sum-ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_ON_HOME;
#endif
            Com::printInfoFLN(Com::tZProbeZReset);
            Com::printFLN(Com::tZProbePrinterHeight,Printer::zLength);
#else
            Printer::currentPositionSteps[Z_AXIS] = sum * Printer::axisStepsPerMM[Z_AXIS];
            Com::printFLN(PSTR("Adjusted z origin"));
#endif
        }
        Printer::setAutolevelActive(oldAutolevel);
        if(com->hasS() && com->S == 2)
            EEPROM::storeDataIntoEEPROM();
        Printer::updateCurrentPosition(true);
        printCurrentPosition(PSTR("G30 "));
        GCode::executeFString(Com::tZProbeEndScript);
#endif
    }
    } //close my if AJA
    break;
Those are the only changes I need to make before I upload my firmware and start calibrating / printing.

Edit: to probe an arbitrary point, then, you have to send a G30 S-1 X0 Y0.... the S-1 is what triggers my bits to run, otherwise it's just the standard seemecnc implemented bits. I did that so I didn't break any instructions they provide. Here's my 10 probe points to use with the Delta Least Squares page here: http://escher3d.com/pages/wizards/wizarddelta.php (use a printable radius of 142.68, you want the tower probe hitting nearly straight down, or it's going to be way off).

G30 S-1 X0.0 Y142.68
G30 S-1 X123.56 Y71.34
G30 S-1 X123.56 Y-71.34
G30 S-1 X0.0 Y-142.68
G30 S-1 X-123.56 Y-71.34
G30 S-1 X-123.56 Y71.34
G30 S-1 X0.0 Y71.34
G30 S-1 X61.78 Y-35.67
G30 S-1 X-61.78 Y-35.67
G30 S-1 X0.0 Y0.0
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

And one more, sorry Brian!

Here's a video of the hotend probe hitting X0 Y0, and a custom point (G30 S-1 X123.56 Y71.34)

https://youtu.be/tRhgYBRGdhQ

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”