Print scale issue

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
baba
Plasticator

Print scale issue

Post by baba »

I've got my Rostock set up (well, my brother's), and printing away. I notice something though. Whatever I print is about 5% smaller than it should be in the X and Y directions. The Z height, thickness of the part off the bed, is always right. But the part will be around 5% shorter and narrower in the other two directions then it is supposed to be.

I don't see anything in the manual about calibrating in this way. What could be causing this? In the Matter Control software, the dimensions of the part show correctly, but what prints out is the wrong size except for the thickness off the bed.

Thoughts appreciated.

Brian
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Print scale issue

Post by Xenocrates »

That would be diagonal rod length.

(Observed size / Specified size) * Current arm length setting = New arm length should get you a working arm length. It's likely a small hiccup in the assembly making it act slightly different. Not anything I know how to fix the source of, but we can nail the symptom (It may also be your arms were off the expected shrinkage curve somewhat)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
baba
Plasticator

Post by baba »

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you! This worked beautifully. In the end, I figured out that what happened was I downloaded the new firmware, but we have the old arms. So the arm length was for the new spring loaded carriages. Feel like I should have seen that coming.

-Brian
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I try to be helpful when I can. Glad it worked for you.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Troubleshooting”