Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
TFMike
Printmaster!

Re: Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Post by TFMike »

626Pilot wrote:You can reuse the steppers, pulleys (if they're the new 20-tooth ones from SeeMeCNC), hobbed drive gear, EZ-Struder, T-slot nuts, power supply, power switch, GT2 belts, binder clips, Onyx + glass, PTFE tubing, endstop switches, controller, and LCD panel. You can also leave out the paracord unless you're doing a flying extruder platform. The John Guest connector is the standard E3D PTC fitting, although they drill it out so you can pass the PTFE all the way through.

You also need a bunch of 3D-printed parts. The git repo is here.
Oh no, when did seemecnc switch pulleys, if they did at all?

EDIT: I built a rostock max v2 about a year ago and I used the 2nd edition of gene's guide to do so. Here is what it says about the pulley at the beginning:

(1) GT2 2mm pitch belt pulley pack. Includes six grub screws
and hex wrench. [39835]
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

The VERY early V1's (like mine) have cast metal 16 tooth pulleys, they weren't particularly well finished and tended to eat belts.
Outside of that all the later machines have 20 tooth pulleys.
So unless you were part of the original V1 Kickstarted campaign or bought shortly afterwards, you have 20 tooth pulleys.
The 16 tooth ones are easy to identify, they are cast metal and do not have a lip on the outside edge.
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

whew, thanks polygonhell. Your tutorials are great by the way
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

They also have big screws sticking out to secure them to the stepper shafts rather than set (grub) screws!

[img]http://mhackney.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v81 ... 6262-3.jpg[/img]
"Cool early RostockMax 16 tooth aluminum pulley"

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Two problems solved in the same day!!! I got stalled last year on my MetalMax with linear rail build. The rails I bought were too long (and wide) to fit the Metal Max frame properly. These are the SpeedDemon SGR-10 rails (and are really nice, I'm looking forward to seeing them work). They have two hardened steel rods encased in the aluminum frame. You can see the problem in my earlier post in Dec last year. The linear rail is just a bit wider than the width of the 80/20 towers so they interfere. I thought I was going to have to cut the length to fit between the upper and lower horizontals on the Metal Max frame and that got in the way of other priorities last year. Then this morning I woke up and had an easier, less risky and better solution! I simply filed the edges at an angle to clear the base cross pieces:
FullSizeRender 21.jpg
FullSizeRender 20.jpg
Took all of 10 minutes and no risk of ruining the hardened rods. I painted the bevel with a black Sharpie.

The other problem I had was figuring out how to mount these. The holes and counterbores are for M3 cap screws and I have to mount in 80/20 extrusions that have a 6mm wide slot. PIA. But, miraculously, google turned up a hit this today! An eBay merchant is offering these t-nuts designed for 80/20 and M3 screws! They look great and will make the job much easier so I ordered 50.

So when they come in later this week, I can finally make some progress on the Metal Max!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

I'm been picking at a few improvements.

I've added a new heated bed insulator bracket (version 3) to the Git Repo. This version allows use of an unmodified snow flake and moves the mounting to the corners of the frame. It will accept a 4-40 nut underneath so the original screws may be used.

I pushed the spacing out to use the original holes and to make support of FSR brackets easier as I think more distance between loads improves the sensitivity of the FSR input.

I think mhackney's FSR mounts will now work with this, but it's untested at this time.

Open to suggestions...
Heated Bed Insulator Bracket
Heated Bed Insulator Bracket
Bottom Side.PNG
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Looks good, you could integrate the FSR mount pocket right into these. I'll probably go that route when I get to that point.

I've now figured out how to route the belt to clear my linear slides. I need to machine 6 "L" shaped replacements for the top bearing mounts. A smaller version of it can be used at the bottom. I'm also integrating a belt tensioner using a hose clamp at the lower edge of the linear guide blocks. I hope to machine these parts tomorrow.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

I've also been working on an Enclosure for the Duet and 7" LCD panel AND, brackets for enclosing the build area without reduction of print area. The heated enclosure is based around the same concept I think most people have gone to on the Rostock Max v2 kit. I'm leaving room for heat set threaded inserts and magnets to suit.

I've yet to run prints of the Duet housing and I've made a couple of test pieces of the heated chamber and I am down to final teaks.

The Duet enclosure also has a design with a blank cover for those who don't want to use the LCD.

If folks are interested, I will post the files now. I've not tested them yet myself, but thought that this would be good to spark ideas and suggestions for improvements.
WIP, Duet with heated chamber
WIP, Duet with heated chamber
Top of heated chamber
Top of heated chamber
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

mhackney wrote:Looks good, you could integrate the FSR mount pocket right into these. I'll probably go that route when I get to that point.

I've now figured out how to route the belt to clear my linear slides. I need to machine 6 "L" shaped replacements for the top bearing mounts. A smaller version of it can be used at the bottom. I'm also integrating a belt tensioner using a hose clamp at the lower edge of the linear guide blocks. I hope to machine these parts tomorrow.
My only concern so far with integrating the FSR mount directly was the overhang of the pocket for the piston you've designed. It could be done with support, but was uncertain how cleanliness of the surface would impact sensing of the pressure.

Can't wait to see how the linear slides shake out!
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

ccavanaugh wrote:I've also been working on an Enclosure for the Duet and 7" LCD panel

Ohhhhh Yes Please!!!
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Went ahead and designed a FSR specific version of the heated bed bracket.

This uses 4-40 nuts and the stock 3/4" 4-40 screws. It's based on mhackney's design with a revised plunger design for the nut and stock screw.

As designed, it keeps the insulator very close to the frame rail when installed with an appropriate elastomer or cork pad. Without the pad, the insulator will set on the fail and fail to function. There is currently a 0.6mm gap without the required pad.

Look for FSR Piston and FRS Bracket in the Git Repo.

FSR Assmembly
FSR Assmembly
FSR Bracket
FSR Bracket
X-Section
X-Section
rschoenstein
Noob

Post by rschoenstein »

Did anyone ever post the CAD assembly of the Max Metal frame? I slapped something together quickly to get started on a top enclosure/spool holder, but my tower angles seem to be slightly off.

I need everything line up correctly before finishing the supports and creating the rest of the parts. Currently, the supports are not properly lining up at the apex. With a better frame model, I can get everything aligned properly and finish it up in a few days.

Preliminary support design:
Max_Metal_Top.png
Max_Metal_Top_Beam.png
Max_Metal_Top_Beam-2.png
Max Metal Parts
  • Rostock Max v2
  • Max Metal
Do not skimp on measurement tools! I did and learned the hard way.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I believe someone did, and it would be in this thread somewhere.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
rschoenstein
Noob

Post by rschoenstein »

I only asked because I read the entire thread and saw someone had asked for it ~ page 6, but I never found a link for it. Also, it's not located in the Max Metal GitHub repo.

I'll just have to assemble my Max Metal frame and compare the measurements.
Max Metal Parts
  • Rostock Max v2
  • Max Metal
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Quick question - are there supposed to be spacers for the top idler bearings? I don't seem to have these and the bearings need to be centered as there is way too much space.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

mhackney wrote:Quick question - are there supposed to be spacers for the top idler bearings? I don't seem to have these and the bearings need to be centered as there is way too much space.
I believe you just use washers to space and center. Brian posted an update somewhere within this topic.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Great, thanks. I finished milling the new idler mounts to use with my linear rails. I ended up using two sets of the 15x4 bearings to route the belt. It is perfectly aligned with my belt mount on the linear guide carriage.
FullSizeRender 26.jpg
FullSizeRender 27.jpg
Next I have to make an idler mount for the bottom to bring the belt out away from the pulley on the stepper so it is properly aligned with the carriage.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Very nice!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Thanks. This is the last tricky thing on this build, everything else is "normal delta".

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Four 5mm washers on each side are perfect.
FullSizeRender 28.jpg

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Updated FSR specific mounts have been uploaded to the git repo. There were some height related issues that slipped in.

Everything appears to line up well. I will wire and test in a few days.
IMG_20160312_164521104.jpg
IMG_20160312_164444981.jpg
rschoenstein
Noob

Post by rschoenstein »

I created a set of spool holders if anyone is interested.
Max_Metal_Spools.png
Max_Metal_Spools_Top.png
Max_Metal_Spools_Close_Up.png

Files removed due to issues caused by the purchase of cheap measuring tools.

Link to updated parts in my signature.
Last edited by rschoenstein on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Metal Parts
  • Rostock Max v2
  • Max Metal
rschoenstein
Noob

Post by rschoenstein »

Bondtech QR extruder mount. Upper and lower halves connect using M3 machine screws (inserted through the lower half) and a space for nylock nuts in the upper half.

I have not attempted to print this yet.
Top view (with spool holders)
Top view (with spool holders)
Side view (with spool holders)
Side view (with spool holders)

Files removed due to issues caused by the purchase of cheap measuring tools.

Link to updated parts in my signature.
Last edited by rschoenstein on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Metal Parts
  • Rostock Max v2
  • Max Metal
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Mhackney, it is good to see your Max Metal being built, great job!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Slow and steady. I had to order some hardware that came in today. I need to finish off the belt idlers (bottom) and then I should make rapid progress.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Other Machines”