Printer stop by half

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
fwkseemecnc
Plasticator

Printer stop by half

Post by fwkseemecnc »

Recently I've been printing this model.
DSC_0421.JPG
It seems that sometimes the printer will stop running by itself halfway and I realized it always stops at the same point.
DSC_0422.JPG
DSC_0423.JPG
By using the same sketch, the printing is able to complete for the first time, but failed on the second time.
When the printer stops by itself, the filament is still coming out of the printer head. Refer image above.
Feedback from SEEMECNC much appreciated. :)
Last edited by fwkseemecnc on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Printer stop by halh

Post by IMBoring25 »

What slicer? With the various scales you're obviously not using the same gcode consistently. Is it always the same STL, scaled in the slicer? I would expect your model is not manifold and your slicer is not handling it gracefully.
fwkseemecnc
Plasticator

Re: Printer stop by half

Post by fwkseemecnc »

Hello, I'm using MatterSlice.
I did not scale in the slicer, I scaled the model with CAD software. It seems that the model can be printed out completely for the first time, and when I tried to print this model the second time with the same Gcode as the first one, the printing failed, printer stopped by half, occurred as the photo attached above :oops:
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

It looks like a 'clean' stop - as if the printer just switched off, or the print was cancelled.

Can you post your STL and the GCODE ?

What slicer are you using ?
Are you printing over USB or from SD card?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
bLiTzJoN
Plasticator

Post by bLiTzJoN »

Perhaps the max print height isn't set properly...? Those unfinished prints, I've tossed the model into Tinkercad and removed the printed portion to print only the remaining top. If it's ABS, you can acetone weld the pieces together. I haven't found a good means to weld PLA together chemically, I just use a heat gun on both surfaces (which is tricky due to deformation) or glue.
RMv2: HE280 board, EZRStruder, E3Dv6, 713Maker effector, Microswiss nozzles, GeckoTek3D base, Capricorn tubes, steel belts, titanium bearings, curtain enclosure
Tevo LM: TMC2208 drivers, E3D volcano w/pancake stepper, steel belts, aluminum idlers
bLiTzJoN
Plasticator

Post by bLiTzJoN »

I just noticed your pic had different heights.. do'h! Could try uploading the model to https://makeprintable.com/ to see if the model is decent to start with.
RMv2: HE280 board, EZRStruder, E3Dv6, 713Maker effector, Microswiss nozzles, GeckoTek3D base, Capricorn tubes, steel belts, titanium bearings, curtain enclosure
Tevo LM: TMC2208 drivers, E3D volcano w/pancake stepper, steel belts, aluminum idlers
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bLiTzJoN wrote:I just noticed your pic had different heights.. do'h! Could try uploading the model to https://makeprintable.com/ to see if the model is decent to start with.
Thanks for the link, I did not know about that site.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”