PSU Upgrade?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

PSU Upgrade?

Post by PeteD »

My new Rostock is printing reliably now, and I'm ready to start installing the upgrades. I had purchased a Polystrooder Tri Hotend and an Azteeg X3 pro, but I had forgotten to purchase a PSU that can handle the additional power requirements of 3 extruders and hot ends.

I'm looking at two different options, one is a Sentey 750W 12V power supply, which I would use to replace the stock PSU. The second option would be to purchase a 24V 600W brick and an SSR for the bed and keep the stock PSU to power everything else.

Any opinions on which option would work best? Is there a third option that would work better?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: PSU Upgrade?

Post by teoman »

Are you not happy with the heatup time of the bed? For that people are recommending a towel over the bed while it heats up. Some people are also having success increasing the wire thickness from the rambo to the bed to lower the resistance and increase the current therefore causing move power delivery and faster heatup time.

If you get a 100000W power supply that is 12V you may not see much improvement whereas a 24V power supply will have more voltage which means it has more ability to "push" current through the heated bed. That will really push more power to the bed and you will get a faster heatup time, just do not go with a cheapo SSR, those things are VERY dangerous.

On the 3 nozzles only one will be on at a given moment so you do not really have extra power draw.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

If you think you might like to go for polycarbonate or other more-exotic filaments at some point, a good SSR would be the way to go.
didymus
Prints-a-lot

Post by didymus »

IMBoring25 wrote:If you think you might like to go for polycarbonate or other more-exotic filaments at some point, a good SSR would be the way to go.
OK... So how does one tell a good SSR from a bad one?

I desperately need to get a 24v power supply - swapped out my glass bed for an aluminium one and can get nowhere near warm enough to print abs....

Are there any brand recommendations for 24v PSU or SSR?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Tjere is a detailed thread about it.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Most people here use a Meanwell PSU and Crydom SSR.
I couldn't find either of them here, so did the upgrade with a generic 30a PSU and a 100amp Fotek SSR and it's working very well.

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=7766
Martín S.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Fotek is one of those brands that have cheapo imitations.
didymus
Prints-a-lot

Post by didymus »

Right. Wow. PSU are expensive! Around 200 euros in Europe.

What are the thoughts about running 2x 15a in parallel?
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

Post by PeteD »

didymus wrote:Right. Wow. PSU are expensive! Around 200 euros in Europe.

What are the thoughts about running 2x 15a in parallel?
I've been researching that question since I started this thread. Unsurprisingly, using multiple power supplies isn't as simple as hooking a couple of batteries together.

In general, a PC power supply or cheap Chinese switching supply isn't expected to operate in a redundant mode (i.e. with outputs tied together).

In industry parlance, this function is called OR-ing (not O-ring). If a power supply is designed with OR-ing in mind, there will be several additions to the circuitry:

Some means of isolation (diodes or MOSFETs)
Some means of maintaining regulation at absolute zero load (anti-rollback)
Some means of load balancing (forced or droop)
These factors allow you to connect identical voltage rails together to provide load current beyond what a single supply can do, and allow for the rail to stay up (if the load can be delivered by N-1 units) if a single unit goes down. It also gives you some measure of protection if you accidentally connect a higher voltage to a lower voltage.

I'm in the middle of figuring out an Or-ing circuit that I can wire a couple of supplies into. I'll post it when I have it working.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I run two "meanwell" style psu's. One 24 volt for bed and one 12v for everything else.
Works great.
Not using a ssr. ( The psu has a trim pot to adjust voltage, I turned it all the way down so output is 19 volts.)
This machine is running a smoothie board.

yes, definitely run heavier wire to bed than stock. I use 14 gauge or double up the stock wire.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”