Ultem 1000 Polyetherimide

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
gwhunter280
Plasticator

Ultem 1000 Polyetherimide

Post by gwhunter280 »

I just replaced my Borosilicate Glass and have no idea why this machine doesn't use a polyetherimide sheet in the kit. No more glue sticks, no more abs glue, no more masking tape! This plate adheres parts better than anything I have used! Instantaneous adhesion. I bought a 12" x 12" x .125" sheet and traced the glass diameter onto it and proceeded to cut the arc with a jigsaw. There are a couple of flat spots on the sheet because the glass was slightly larger than 12", but it has no affect on the print area or using the clips to secure it to the hotbed. This is a revolutionary step in adhering prints. Do yourself a favor and just buy it. I got it from amazon for $60.32.

Edit: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001 ... UTF8&psc=1
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Ultem 1000 Polyetherimide

Post by KAS »

I think most people here just use the .030 or .020 over the glass, that way they can flip it over and still use the plain glass for other materials that don't stick well to PEI, like nylon and flex type filament.
gwhunter280
Plasticator

Post by gwhunter280 »

I still have the supplied hot end so nylon isn't a possibility and I have no use for ninjaflex, so a thin sheet isn't a big deal to me. I can easily switch back and forth if needed in the future if I get an E3dv6, the calibration took very small adjustments between the two. I'd rather have two different bed materials than to attach the PEI to the glass with silicone or epoxy.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

No worries, if it's working that's all that matters. Actually I misspoke before regarding Flex, it actually sticks to well.

If you ever do decide to attach the PEI to the glass, try the 3M transfer tape (468MP). Seems to give better results than spay adhesive.

This thread should cover everything PEI related. http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I just bought one of the 1/8 inch thickness sheets as you mentioned. It doesn't warp even at high temperature? I'm hoping to get away with it like this, without adhering to anything. Worst case scenario, I'm going to bond it to some polycarbonate.
*not actually a robot
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I just got my sheet in. It's completely bowed, but flexible enough to (probably/hopefully) be held flat simply with binder clips. I want to keep the sheet as-is if possible, to allow for easy part removal by gently flexing the sheet (if it ever becomes a problem).
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2895.JPG
*not actually a robot
gwhunter280
Plasticator

Post by gwhunter280 »

Mine had a very slight curve to it, but it straightened out with the binder clips. I calibrated the machine after and it was almost spot on with the glass, only about .5mm in the horiz. radius adjustment and very minute changes in the axis stop screws. It prints accurately towards the end of the travel also.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I'm going to be clipping mine to a mirror, so hopefully that holds it flat enough. I find the mirror's silver/metal coating helps even out the heat a tiny bit, as well as providing a truly flat plane to clamp onto. Thanks for the advice in getting the thicker sheet.
*not actually a robot
miglo
Printmaster!

Post by miglo »

I had to stick mine on using a sheet of 12x12 heat transfer tape from 3m. The micro surface warping becomes VERY pronouce at 100c. It was even obvious with the tape on, but it helped tremendously.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

What thickness sheet did you get? I was hoping this would be thick enough to have a more stable plane... I'll be trying as soon as I finish sawing the sheet by hand into an octagon. :)
*not actually a robot
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

So far it seems like it will work just clamped down. There is a tiny bit of waviness to the surface, but nothing that is worse than the variation of the nozzle to begin with.

My surface came smooth on both sides. I've done a couple prints on the shiny surface, but I'm going to sand it with some 1500 grit soon.
*not actually a robot
gwhunter280
Plasticator

Post by gwhunter280 »

I purchased the 1/8" x 12" x 12" sheet. Mine is also shiny on both sides and I have been printing on it for 2 weeks now and everything has stuck right to it.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Yeah, I got the same thickness. I was asking miglo because he said he had to stick it down.

I just finished my first print job with the new PEI bed (which more than paid for itself already). The customer insisted on ABS, and it was like an 8 inch long rectangular manifold.

PEI is the champ. The all-time, world-champ. I would post a picture if I could, but just picture a large, flat piece of ABS, and no glue, hair-spray or slurry anywhere to be found. :)
*not actually a robot
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bot wrote:Yeah, I got the same thickness. I was asking miglo because he said he had to stick it down.

I just finished my first print job with the new PEI bed (which more than paid for itself already). The customer insisted on ABS, and it was like an 8 inch long rectangular manifold.

PEI is the champ. The all-time, world-champ. I would post a picture if I could, but just picture a large, flat piece of ABS, and no glue, hair-spray or slurry anywhere to be found. :)
Do you remember the heatbed temperature and the hotend temperature that you used? Thanks in advance.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Yes, I do! :)

It was a 100 degree bed temperature held consistent through the print, and a 235 degree nozzle temperature for the first 20 layers (.25 layers) and 250 degrees for subsequent layers. The reason for the temperature increase was some thinner walled structures near the top of the model. Keep in mind for the bed temperature, I'm running a 1/8th inch mirror under the 1/8th inch PEI. The actual surface temperature is likely lower than 100.
*not actually a robot
didymus
Prints-a-lot

Post by didymus »

Ok. I've spent the evening googling with little joy. .... anyone know if there is anywhere to buy this stuff in europe?

Sounds like it is the absolute badgers nadgers
didymus
Prints-a-lot

Post by didymus »

OK, replying to myself, but I managed to find a very helpful guy here in Germany that produces custom PEI covered aluminium build plates.

Will report back when I have a chance to use it (still need to build my max v2....)

PM me and I can put you in touch if anyone is keen to buy from this guy
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Do you have any sample images??

Some of us in EU may be interested and you could even get a group discount.

If tje price is not absurd, i eould be interested in one.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
didymus
Prints-a-lot

Post by didymus »

teoman wrote:Do you have any sample images??

Some of us in EU may be interested and you could even get a group discount.

If tje price is not absurd, i eould be interested in one.
Ok - here is the pic from ebay. The guy is basically a one-man show (he is doing it for me over the weekend) so I'm not sure there'd be an option for group discounts... we could of course ask though. I paid 65 EUR for a 300mm plate - bit of a risk / unknown I know.... will take pictures of it and post as soon as I get it, which should be early next week.

Here is the link to the ebay listing that I found - I then contacted him to organise a custom size.... http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dauerdruckplatte ... 463be2ea88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
$_57.JPG
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

is that 65euros including the PEI?

My pei just cracked, and i need a replacement some time soon.
didymus
Prints-a-lot

Post by didymus »

teoman wrote:is that 65euros including the PEI?

Yes, including a coating of PEI. Exactly how thick I wait to see. He says it is "exoliert" with PEI, not sure exactly how that translates from German.

Edit: Exoliert is German for anodized....
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

Post by PeteD »

teoman wrote:is that 65euros including the PEI?

What was the thickness of your cracking PEI?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Anodized? Then it is a few microns thick.

My pei is 2mm or so. I got it from amazon. From the link posted in the PEI thread.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I documented i in the other thread. I did something stupid to it...

The part got stuck on, so i was lazy to put the whole thing in to the fridge si i poured ice cold water in to the print. It had already cooled. So no thermal shock.

Heard a cracking sound, part released but the pei was cracked
didymus
Prints-a-lot

Post by didymus »

teoman wrote:Anodized? Then it is a few microns thick.

My pei is 2mm or so. I got it from amazon. From the link posted in the PEI thread.
This is true. Do you think that will be an issue? My hope was that the aluminium plate would offer good strength and heat distribution.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”