Who wants to build me a new hotend and get paid for it?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Lasivian
Printmaster!

Who wants to build me a new hotend and get paid for it?

Post by Lasivian »

In short my rebuilding of my existing hotend has resulted in fuse F3 blowing, three times now.

What do I need? I need someone to build me a Seemecnc Hot End and make sure it works. I'll pay for the hotend and the building.

I would just get one prebuilt from Seemecnc and pay them the extra but they do not seem to want to sell me one.

And if you're just going to post here with more suggestions how I might do it better or what I might be doing wrong I really don't want to hear it, ok? I've wasted more than a week on this already and I don;t intend to keep wasting time. I want to start with known good hardware and go from there.

Thanks!
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Re: Who wants to build me a new hotend and get paid for it?

Post by Dale Eason »

Sorry I know you did not ask for advice but you are going to get it anyway because this is a simple thing. If you spent a week and could not fix it then it means your trouble shooting skills are not what it takes to use this printer. So either you learn how to fix it or you will have other problems like this that will make you unhappy and want to quit.

If you have enough spare fuses then First unhook the hot end and fan wires from the rambo board and power up and see if the fuse blows. IF it does then it is not the hot end problem.

Next measure the resistance of your hot end wires with them unplugged at the rambo end. It should be about 1.9 ohms I think. It should not be 0 or less than 1 ohm. If it is then disconnect the wires from the hot end and measure the resistors there. If it is still low then the resistors are bad or their bare leads are touching the hot end metal. If it is not low then you have a short in the wires from the rambo to the hot end. That means they are touching un-insulated somewhere.

If the above is ok then it is not your hot end problem.

Next check the resistance on the fan wires unhooked from the rambo board. If either pair read close to 0 ohms then there is the problem so check that wiring and fans resistance.

If the above reads ok then there is a problem on the rambo board itself and you need to send it in if you don't find anything wrong with it visually.

Dale Eason
Lasivian
Printmaster!

Post by Lasivian »

Dale Eason wrote:If you spent a week and could not fix it then it means your trouble shooting skills are not what it takes to use this printer.
Wow, that's, helpful.

FYI, there is a critical thing in troubleshooting, it's called "stop banging your head on the wall". Your assumption here implies that anyone, can fix, anything.

How about this. The resistors show continuity from the terminal wires to the tinfoil on the side. Gee, that's a short isn't it. Gee, that means I assembled it wrong doesn't it? Or the resistors are bad, however unlikely.

So, the best idea? Have someone Else assemble it and make sure it works correctly rather than just repeating the process myself and hoping for different results.

Nobody would hire a troubleshooter that would just repeat the same failed process again and again wasting time and money. Sometimes you buy new hardware that you know is good and install it. (IE. I don't see many computer techs openings HDs and replacing platters to make an HD work. Or buying HD parts and assembling a drive themselves. No they buy one prebuilt and install it)

That is, if someone is willing to sell it to you.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

hmm, That's not the typical response people on the forum give to those who need help or are having issues with the build. I see you posted in a different topic and might be getting better results than this one. I'd just let this post die or have an admin delete or lock it.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

I was harsh but I also gave advice on what to look for. I'm only being harsh to warn you that there will probably be things you must master besides only that.

Resistors that I had in my kit did not have tin foil on the side. So what are you describing. If instead you mean the hot end itself then somehow you have the resistor wire touching the metal hot end. Is that true?

If so it is not to hard to take the resistor out and try it again. If that is what you have done then yes you probably should not try that again. There is also the advice of try, try, again. Practice makes perfect.

Dale
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

We need to quit busting this guy's balls over his choice to try and hire help. Yes a lot of us are the DIY type but other people prefer to hire a professional. I change my own oil, lots of people don't.

If this guy wants to put money instead of sweat and tears into his printer, awesome. Sure this won't be the last printing problem he faces and if he wants to solve them ALL with money, maybe it won't be economical but so what, it's his choice right?
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Lasivian
Printmaster!

Post by Lasivian »

Dale Eason wrote: Practice makes perfect.
In this case practice blows fuses.
BenTheRighteous wrote:Sure this won't be the last printing problem he faces and if he wants to solve them ALL with money, maybe it won't be economical but so what, it's his choice right?
Normally I don't throw money at problems at all. But there comes a point where the application of money removes variables from the mix.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

PM me your address I'll send you my old stock hot end it has about a month worth of printing on it.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

BenTheRighteous wrote:We need to quit busting this guy's balls over his choice to try and hire help. Yes a lot of us are the DIY type but other people prefer to hire a professional. I change my own oil, lots of people don't.

If this guy wants to put money instead of sweat and tears into his printer, awesome. Sure this won't be the last printing problem he faces and if he wants to solve them ALL with money, maybe it won't be economical but so what, it's his choice right?
Agree..... at some point we all face the challenge of time spent vs. cost of solving the problem. I grew up on a farm and worked for my Dad who was a Master Electrician. We wired everything and anything (i.e. 110, 220, 440, household, basement, crawl spaces, industrial). It now kills me to pay an electrician to spend 30 hours in my house to wire a new 200 amp service and basement lights where labor is the primary cost. Life is a balance and I simply don't have 30 hours this week to do the job (i.e. my family would kill me!!!).

I would much rather spend 10 hours printing and 20 hours with the family, vs. setting up a breaker box and wiring a bunch of simple lights in the basement (and not printing anything). Truth is I would really spend 40+ hours!! Anyway enough of my blah, blah, blah.......

Simply put, I'm glad a HotEnd is on its way!! Have fun once it is up and running!!! It is a blast!!!

Dan
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes

Return to “Troubleshooting”