Who's coming to the Midwest RepRap Fest '14?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Who's coming to the Midwest RepRap Fest '14?

Post by jmpreuss »

At this point I am planning on being there Friday evening and Saturday. I believe I will be with the Kalamazoo Maker Guild.

I am going to bring my Orion and if I can get it through security my heavily modded "other" printer (but officer, it can't be a rep2, it has a heated build plate...)

My Max is coming too and I am at a crossroads with it. It prints but because of a tower alignment issue that is beyond my skills to correct by myself I have a printing diameter of about 6 inches instead of the full 11 and since I have an Orion (that came to me unexpectedly) I currently have no use for it.
My Options:
Sell it as is (I think I could get $650 for it, it has trick laser arms and add an inch cheapskates) and be done with it.
Sell it and use the funds towards a v2, figuring that they made installing the towers much easier.
Buy the future upgrade kit and rebuild.
Find someone at the Fest to help me calibrate my current machine to alignment happiness.

Been mulling this for a couple weeks and can't seems to firm up a decision.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Who's coming to the Midwest RepRap Fest '14?

Post by Eaglezsoar »

jmpreuss wrote:At this point I am planning on being there Friday evening and Saturday. I believe I will be with the Kalamazoo Maker Guild.

I am going to bring my Orion and if I can get it through security my heavily modded "other" printer (but officer, it can't be a rep2, it has a heated build plate...)

My Max is coming too and I am at a crossroads with it. It prints but because of a tower alignment issue that is beyond my skills to correct by myself I have a printing diameter of about 6 inches instead of the full 11 and since I have an Orion (that came to me unexpectedly) I currently have no use for it.
My Options:
Sell it as is (I think I could get $650 for it, it has trick laser arms and add an inch cheapskates) and be done with it.
Sell it and use the funds towards a v2, figuring that they made installing the towers much easier.
Buy the future upgrade kit and rebuild.
Find someone at the Fest to help me calibrate my current machine to alignment happiness.

Been mulling this for a couple weeks and can't seems to firm up a decision.
Finding someone who can help you get it calibrated would be your best decision, barring that I would wait for the V2 upgrade kit and create a version 2 from your Version 1.
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

I'll be there. If I have time, I would be happy to take a look. In the mean time, can you provide more details about what's going on with your towers that can't be corrected??

Cheers!
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'll be there as well. Considering MRRF is hosted by SeeMeCNC, if we can't get that printer of yours calibrated, it'll be because you've bent the towers into "L" shapes. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

JohnStack wrote:I'll be there. If I have time, I would be happy to take a look. In the mean time, can you provide more details about what's going on with your towers that can't be corrected??

Cheers!
I may take you up on your offer.

I don't think it is anything weird, I just can't seem to get them calibrated by myself (not enough arms). Right now they are a little tilted away from the build plate which I am guessing why I can calibrate at the towers but not between them (the print head is too high on the midpoint between all the towers so it isn't a firmware issue I don't think).
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

I will be there.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

The local "MakerHive" will be there too. themakerhive.com

See you there!
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

Might be easier to ask who "won't" be there ;)
The MakerHive
Yellow Jacket Quick Clip Plug in board
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Some things are meant to be closed, your mind isn't one of them.
There is a difference between what you know and what you have been told
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

It was nice meeting some of you at the MRRF. Gene spent some time helping get the guy next to me machine up and running.

The outcome of my printer was not what I had expected. Seemecnc's Andy (I think that was his name), the person who builds and calibrates all the Orions, spent about an hour total on my machine and in the end could not get it dialed in. The issue of the print head raising between all 3 towers while being correct at the towers and the center was completely new to him. He speculates that it has to be something with my arms (which are tricklasers so I can't imagine that being the issue). It was still interesting seeing how he goes through a calibration, he does it almost completely by eye. He also during the trouble shooting fixed some other problems on my max.

Sitting on the other side of me was one of the Smoothieboard developers. I guess they just finished fulfilling the Kickstarter orders and will have them available for sale this week (I would have purchased one had I had more time to play with it).
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I had this exact same issue and showed it to John Oly...

If you figure anything out, please make sure that we know what the fix was. Gene is curious too.
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

I have a little bit of this, but I assumed it was a tower rotation issue. Something I have not dialed in yet.
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.

Return to “The Lounge”