Help Please - Z probe readings not consistent

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
myrandr
Plasticator

Help Please - Z probe readings not consistent

Post by myrandr »

I am having an issue with Z Probe Reading Not Consistent. The Auto-Calibration is being done on a clean glass bed shipped with the printer. I usually get 1 error per 6 factors using 10 points probe.

Related or not, I am getting inconsistent printing from one part of the bed to another. One area squishes more than others. I just did a print of 6, identical, items (mask straps for PPE efforts) and the print thickness at the center of the straps was measure with calipers (not cheap hobby style calipers) reads as follow - readings are taken from the strap printed on the front of the bed to the strap printed at the back.

Strap 1: .88mm
Strap 2: .88mm
Strap 3: .85mm
Strap 4: .82mm
Strap 5: .76mm
Strap 6: .72mm

They were printed at a layer height of .25, 1st layer 92%, First layer width 110%. Speed @ 53mm per second and a z code offset of .08mm.

I have NO idea how to fix or even proceed to get a decent print consistency.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Help Please - Z probe readings not consistent

Post by geneb »

Knowing what the error you were getting would help. ;)

What printer are you using? v4, right?

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
myrandr
Plasticator

Post by myrandr »

geneb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:47 am Knowing what the error you were getting would help. ;)

What printer are you using? v4, right?

g.
Yes, V4. Here is the Console log file entry for the error - on a clean glass bed I usually get 1 error per probe, if I run with printers tape, evenly applied, no overlap, I usually get at least 3 z code errors:

M98 P""0:/macros/Bed Mapping"": 69 points probed, mean error -0.009, deviation 0.143Height map saved to file heightmap.csv
Calibrated 6 factors using 10 points, deviation before 0.084 after 0.080
M98 P""0:/macros/_Probe Autolevel"": Warning: Z probe readings not consistent
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Ok, this is directly connected to your other thread. The Duet3D isn't able to generate a good bed map.

In your config.g file, look for the "M558" command - it's going to be around 56 lines into the file. Change the "A2" to "A5" and re-run the calibration process.

You should also make sure that the bed clips aren't loose - if the glass moves that can affect the calibration process.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
myrandr
Plasticator

Post by myrandr »

geneb wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:47 am Ok, this is directly connected to your other thread. The Duet3D isn't able to generate a good bed map.

In your config.g file, look for the "M558" command - it's going to be around 56 lines into the file. Change the "A2" to "A5" and re-run the calibration process.

You should also make sure that the bed clips aren't loose - if the glass moves that can affect the calibration process.

g.
I will give that a try, thank you.

Bed clips are solid, almost too solid. I should mention, I realized yesterday that it must have been "rough handled" during shipment - the top right side of the printer is bent I estimate between 4-6mm and spans between right front rail and back middle rail, more so toward the right front rail. SeeMeCNC told me it should not affect geometry but I am having a hard time believing so given I have been trying to get a clean print for almost two weeks without doing so - plus they told me to "just bend it back", which is physically not possible.

@geneb, I will give that tweak a try but I am strongly leaning to sending back at this point.

Return to “Troubleshooting”