Stop during Calibration

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
dquattrin
Plasticator

Stop during Calibration

Post by dquattrin »

I started the onboard calibration process on my upgraded Rostock V2. The extruder head lowered to the center, moved to the X strut and stopped. Could not get anything to happen after that. I am open for suggestions as to what happened and what do i need to do.
Thanks
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Stop during Calibration

Post by Mac The Knife »

Check that the wiring harness is still securely seated in the connector on the hotend,,,,, assuming you "upgraded" to the 280 hotend.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

Can you manually move to that position? And take a peek at the output from the console, did it report anything going on?
dquattrin
Plasticator

Post by dquattrin »

The screen locks up with
SeeMeCNC
Rostock MAXV.2
FW Date 20170822
Repetier v 0.92.2
text. I could unplug the printer for about 10 seconds a couple times and the screen showing bed and extruder temperatures would appear. I could then home the printer head fine. I would put in an SD card and try to run the full calibration and it would move to the base and then to the X strut and lock up with the SeeMeCNC screen. Now, I can not even get the temperature screen to appear even after unplugging the printer.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

It sounds like an intermittent connection in the hotend whip or connector is causing the printer to reset. Are the wires tight, and when you did the upgrade, did you replace the wires going to hotend? Alternatively, if it's just that it locks up when probing, and not manually, perhaps the code to actually probe isn't active in the V2 configuration, and you didn't get it manually activated cleanly (Repetier is annoying to configure, and it's pretty understandable if it got messed up, as you have a pile of config switches all over the place in it)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dquattrin
Plasticator

Post by dquattrin »

OK. I made sure that the whip is completely seated and that seems to fix part of the issue. However, I now can not get the Z axis setting to reset. If I move the extruder to the top near the stops and hit Home Extruder it moves down about 55 mm and stops and has a reading of -55. I can adjust the head using the control panel knob but it stops at -100 mm. If I try to get the head to go up using the knob it stops at -52 mm.

If I move the extruder to the glass plate and try to reset the Z axis setting nothing happens to the setting value.

Is this a configuration code problem?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

That sounds like a bad z-height setting. You should try to use something like Mattercontrol to edit the EEPROM parameter for Z-height.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dquattrin
Plasticator

Post by dquattrin »

I tried using Mattercontrol However, while it says that the printer is connected and I have the correct initial screen, I can not get anything to work through Mattercontrol (e.g., homing, x,y,z motors, etc.). I believe I double checked all the connections settings.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

EEPROM isn't largely about connections. It's storing configuration information (In your case, Z height, is what we care about), which while it includes the connection settings, is mostly printer calibration data. Try options, EEPROM settings. You may want to use Show Terminal first, so that you can get a copy/pastable dump for us here on the forums.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
dquattrin
Plasticator

Post by dquattrin »

This is what I have when I go into MatterControl Options, Eprom Configure. See attached image
Attachments
Mattercontrol image.png
dquattrin
Plasticator

Post by dquattrin »

Now trying to run eeprom_write in Arduino to see if we could write to the eeprom, but the connection failed.
It seems we might have to completely rewrite the Firmware into the Rambo but every time we try to send anything through Arduino to the Rambo we receive as follows.

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Sketch uses 1,000 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 14 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8,178 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.

avrdude: stk500v2_setparm(): failed to set parameter 0x9e
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc8
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0x01
avrdude: stk500v2_disable(): failed to leave programming mode
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

What version of the Arduino IDE are you using? I think that 1.6 is recommended.

Return to “Troubleshooting”