HEATER 1 Fault

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
felich
Prints-a-lot

HEATER 1 Fault

Post by felich »

Artemis was printing away (using PETG) at 250 degrees when the hotend temperature plot went through very rapid plus and minus 30 degree swings and then threw a "Heater 1 Fault" and shut down the heater.

I cycled the power on Artemis and restarted my print with no faults.

Now I worry that it will fault again on some 20 hour print.

I read somewhere about connector issues on the SE300.
Is that still an issue?
Is there a retrofit needed?

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Bones056
Prints-a-lot

Re: HEATER 1 Fault

Post by Bones056 »

I have a ton of hours on my Artemis.. Out of no where I started to get Heater Faults.. Traced it to the Red & Black wires that go into the White connector on the SE300. Pushed them back in and have had no Hearter Faults since... I try to check the connector every week and I do find that the wires do start to work there way out again. So not sure what the fix for this would be other then keep pushing them back down into the connector again. Hope this helps..
felich
Prints-a-lot

Post by felich »

I am not satisfied with wiggling wires to make it work for a while.
I am making large prints that each use up $20 of filament.
I have to start each print with a full roll so an aborted print is not just a waste of my time.

The heater connector looks under rated for the current it carries.
I am thinking of soldering the heater wires right to the SE300 board.

The problem could also be with the temp sensor, however. :shock:
The heater plot has spikes that are too close together to be the heating element power cutting out and in and out and in and out.

What's the fix for this problem :?: :?:
TIC TOC
sandy
Printmaster!

Post by sandy »

I'm starting to get this problem, too. I just had my second 12+ hour print (overnight) fail because of heater fault

'12:05:19 AMWarning: Tool 0 was not driven because its heater temperatures were not high enough or it has a heater fault'
and then when I reset it I got

'7:19:43 AMError: Heating fault on heater 1, temperature rising much more slowly than the expected 1.3°C/sec'

I pushed the wires down, and am now trying to reprint it.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

felich wrote:I am not satisfied with wiggling wires to make it work for a while.
I am making large prints that each use up $20 of filament.
I have to start each print with a full roll so an aborted print is not just a waste of my time.

The heater connector looks under rated for the current it carries.
I am thinking of soldering the heater wires right to the SE300 board.

The problem could also be with the temp sensor, however. :shock:
The heater plot has spikes that are too close together to be the heating element power cutting out and in and out and in and out.

What's the fix for this problem :?: :?:
TIC TOC
I would not solder the connections. It's been noted in the past that solder will concentrate stress in the wire. Looking at the connectors, it's more likely to be either the screw terminals (Like many mechanical things, it's good to check them once they've been in service for a bit, and torque them back up), or the sensor connector, as it doesn't seem to have positive retention in the board, and I've found that's problematic. You can also set a less conservative timeout period, using G-code (I recall it being possible, but don't have it off the top of my head).

If you were to want to fully remove the connectors, I would suggest that you crimp male connector pins on, and use them like pin headers to solder to the PCB, so that the wire is properly strain relieved at all points, with heatshrink over the crimp body and wire.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Artemis”