Hotend cannot get to 240

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
obbears
Plasticator

Hotend cannot get to 240

Post by obbears »

I have a V2, just upgraded to the standard 12V power supply from the old ATX psu but I'm still having issues with heating. I ran the PID tuning and when I tried to preheat to 240, the temperature stopped climbing around 228 and I got the decoupled error message.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hotend cannot get to 240

Post by Xenocrates »

At what temperature was the tuning started, and where was it run to? Different set points want different PID's (And the Rambo's autotune model, while nice enough, has some rough spots with that).
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Assuming you are still using the original hotend, I would check the condition of the resistors in the hotend.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
obbears
Plasticator

Post by obbears »

Xenocrates wrote:At what temperature was the tuning started, and where was it run to? Different set points want different PID's (And the Rambo's autotune model, while nice enough, has some rough spots with that).

PID was run at 200
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

That's a bit low from my perspective. PID on a rambo works best around the operating temperature it's tuned to. If you picked 220-230, that may work a lot better than tuning at 200. Tuning at 240 would be best, but with the original PEEK based hotends, the potential for overshot damaging the hotend is a bit high for my taste. You could try increasing the drive max or the P term, if you don't want to re-do the auto-tuning. And as Mac mentioned, the resistors in the hotend, especially if they are the carbon-composition resistors with a silicone potting, may have degraded or failed, possibly due to age, overheating, mechanical strain, or a contaminant in the potting compound, such as air, water, ETC. So you'll want to check them with a meter, and if they have gone bad, my suggestion is to buy an M3 tap, some grub screws, and a heater cartridge. Geneb has a nice tutorial on installing them.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Troubleshooting”