Rostock Max v3 enclosure

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
morgandc
Printmaster!

Rostock Max v3 enclosure

Post by morgandc »

As we all build enclosures you get more and more options. This is a traditional follow the contours of the base design, the brackets work both top and bottom with a stock v3. The existing screws are used to attach the main brackets, but must add in 1 screw on each side between each axis (top/bottom) during assembly. This is designed to allow for the full range of motion of the v3. I am planning on using the McMaster-Carr Heat set part #93365A156 but have not yet tested insertion in the design.

I have printed and done lots of pretesting on the parts for this enclosure, but have not ordered the Plexiglas yet. Final print/bracket assembly will be this done this weekend, printed very slowly. You can click on any part in the PDF to view in 3d if you have the latest PDF viewer.

Original Version- not quite full clearance - Removed

Update: Updated files for additional clearance, less parts and a little more "flexibility" if the printer or laser holes aren't perfect...
v3 Base assembly v3.jpg
v3 Base assembly v3 Top and Bottom.pdf
(99.41 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
v3 Lower Bracket v3.stl
(120.49 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
v3 Lower Bracket Fill Piece v3.stl
(97.64 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
v3 upper Bracket Fill Piece v3 extruder.stl
(102.23 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Feedback welcome, cad files available upon request.

-Dwight
Last edited by morgandc on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Morriz
Plasticator

Re: Rostock Max v3 enclosure

Post by Morriz »

Did you order the plexiglas? Do you complete the mout?
Can you post some photos and comment.

Thank you.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

The base is assembled on the machine, everything fit including the fasteners. I haven't installed the top portion yet, I will likely get to that this weekend.

I decided to be cheap and go the easy way for a bit. I am printing another part to hold reflective bubble insulation on the printer as an initial enclosure. In theory the insulation should work better than Plexiglas even if it doesn't look as nice. I am planning on a Plexiglas door, but haven't ordered it yet..
Morriz
Plasticator

Post by Morriz »

Thank you for your refresh.
I wait for final photos and tips to plane the same addon to mine.
At the moment, my only improve to stock build are Nema 17 Soft mounts and Raspberry PI 3 B + AstroPrint.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Sorry about the delay, I was working on the printer/enclosure this morning and discovered a tweak was needed in the lower fill piece to allow max clearance. Also, I had to adjust the Lower Bracket to be slightly thinner to allow the homing process. There was enough clearance for operation, but not to endstops....I had a cranky printer.

Updated the files above, still in the test fit process. I am expecting to need a custom fill piece around the extruder as well.
Morriz
Plasticator

Post by Morriz »

Any news Morgandc?
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

I have been waiting for PLA for two weeks, finally cancelled the order and am ordering from somewhere else... I also got distracted with some other pre-production items...which is why I ran out of filament. I should have more filament this week, look for more info soon.

The real truth is that I figured out a plastic bag would let me print ABS and moved the priority down while resolving what it would take to produce with a 3d printer :) and then ran out of Black PLA.

-Dwight
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Bag 'em & tag 'em. :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

The updated v3 files have been posted, I was having extruder issues so mine are UGLY. I will need to reprint :) I am finding that enclosing the PLA is a good idea as well, so I will probably order plexiglass when I decide to give my printer a break and reprint the frame so it looks decent.

Significant redesign to allow for the laser cut holes to not be perfectly aligned (or my assembly methods). I found the old one went on, but was too tight which cause it not to look as nice as it caused gaps between parts.
v3 Base assembly v3.jpg
v3 Base assembly v3 Top and Bottom.pdf
(99.41 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
v3 Base assembly v3 exploded.jpg
v3 Full enclosure v3 exploded view.pdf
(96.82 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

Any photos of an assembled enclosure?
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

I'm printing these off now and ordered heat set inserts. The enclosure pieces for the top portion of the enclosure still causes issues with the skates. I might adjust my end stop screws and re calibrate my printer since I see no way around that issue.
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

Printed everything off and the heat set inserts work perfectly. I'll get some photos of the brackets installed. I haven't gotten acrylic yet and figured out how to make the door yet.
timskloss
Printmaster!

Post by timskloss »

You could hold the door on with magnets like this. A hinge may have been better. I think you can purchase acrylic piano hinge online that can be welded to your sheets. The acrylic solvent #3 works great on this type of material.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1992801

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... gJr4vD_BwE

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... gKCHPD_BwE
We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers...
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

So I printed it and mounted the brackets that go around the vertical extrusions. The center brackets between the two does not fit. It's too short by maybe 1/8" or a hair more.
Last edited by TheDon on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

IMG_1304.JPG
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Did you use ABS, or PLA?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

PLA. I did calibrate my printer with the 20mm cube and it came out "good enough government work".

I scaled the part up by 5.83mm /2.3% I think and it fits a lot better now. I might bump it up to 2.6% and see if it tightens up the gap a bit more. I now have a 1/32" gap on either side of the flat portion and the bolt holes line up.
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

The brackets that get screwed in need to have the top brackets modified so the skates will Home. Dremel to the rescue.
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

Just need to seal the gaps and get acrylic to make a door.
IMG_1450.JPG
kfonda
Plasticator

Post by kfonda »

How is this coming along for you guys? I'm just getting ready to start printing the parts for my Max v3.
@TheDon - What printer did you use to print the parts? Which parts did you end up having to scale up to to make it fit right, and what was the final scaling value.

Anything thing else I should be looking out for while printing this? I'm still fairly new to 3d printing (this is my first printer) and this is, by far, the biggest project I have attempted. :)
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

I have been out of pocket guys, sorry about that. Major life changes and I don't have a printer with me right now. If you have a specific change, I do have the cad software with me and can make changes, just not test.

I will watch for PM's again.

Return to “What are YOU making?”