strange build artifacts, how do I avoid them?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
mark.gesing
Plasticator

strange build artifacts, how do I avoid them?

Post by mark.gesing »

Hi everyone,

I've been having an issue with my prints where I'll get weird features added that make these "strings" which get built up at about 45 degrees to the build direction (build direction indicated with an arrow in the image):
IMG_20170730_103938_LI.jpg
There's nothing strange in the "layers" preview in MatterSlice, but I'm seeing these on most of my prints.
Which settings should I tweak to get rid of this? I've tried increasing retraction, which helped with traditional "stringing" but didn't help with this issue.

Thanks.

Mark.
Attachments
palm_rest.stl
STL model for this print
(243.83 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
palm_rest.gcode
the G-code which made this print
(289.24 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: strange build artifacts, how do I avoid them?

Post by Xenocrates »

Those are usually a sign of imperfect retractions, as there is a little debris on the nozzle, and as it wipes off onto the part, it gradually moves against the build direction as it builds up on the side it approaches from.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
mark.gesing
Plasticator

Post by mark.gesing »

Xenocrates wrote:Those are usually a sign of imperfect retractions, as there is a little debris on the nozzle, and as it wipes off onto the part, it gradually moves against the build direction as it builds up on the side it approaches from.
What's the best way to clean a nozzle?
Do I need a tiny reamer?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

no. In this case, a paper towel or bit of leather, while it's at temperature. But to get them to go away, tune your retraction settings, possibly increase the length a little, or increase the non-printing speed.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

Xenocrates wrote:Those are usually a sign of imperfect retractions, as there is a little debris on the nozzle, and as it wipes off onto the part, it gradually moves against the build direction as it builds up on the side it approaches from.
I have to disagree. I believe it is temperature issue.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

joe wrote:
I have to disagree. I believe it is temperature issue.
It really is both. I say retraction because it's filament that has oozed out of the nozzle while it's not supposed to be printing. If you get retraction right, all but the very smallest amount of filament should be withdrawn from where it can drip out, but that requires tuning retractions to temperature. I prefer to advise people to tune retraction, especially for clearer filaments, as the temperature changes can make a big change in the look or strength of the part (And for all I know, they have it tuned right where they want it), but it's not like you're incorrect. Adjusting the temp would also help solve it.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
mark.gesing
Plasticator

Post by mark.gesing »

Ok, next time I print, I'll lower the temperature, increase the retraction, and increase the non-build movement speed, thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting”