ERIS Early adopter feedback

The ERIS Delta, a truly affordable entry into Delta 3D Printing
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Re: ERIS Early adopter feedback

Post by themitch22 »

Also for the newbies, You have to download and use the RAMBo drivers (I had to google them), let windows fail to install driver then manually select the downloaded drivers. That might trip up some new people.
garfi3ld
Plasticator

Post by garfi3ld »

You use the RAMBo driver that Matter Control installs.

Picked up the Eris on the 7th and have over 119 printing hours on it already. The stock settings seem to do a good job with the PLA available from SeeMeCNC. There are some issues with stringing or spider webbing. Running at 220 seemed to help clean up the prints even more but I did have bumps on my prints as well. I've been toying with lower heat levels as well as taking the extruder multiplier down to .98 and it has cleaned that up a lot. Still working on the stringing though.

Like a few other people I have had a couple issues with the hot end getting jammed up. It has only happened on two prints and I can for sure replicate the jam using at least one of the prints. I haven't pin pointed exactly what in the print that causes it though. Pulling the filament out and refeeding it manually to clear out the jam worked well to fix it though. I haven't had to pull the hot end apart due to a jam yet. I should also point out that the hot end fan got noticeably louder a few days in, I'm sure it's not an issue across the board but I may pull everything apart just to replace it, the louder whine drives me crazy in my office.
garfi3ld
Plasticator

Post by garfi3ld »

I have been streaming a lot of my prints over the past few days here
http://www.youtube.com/user/LanocReviews/live

You can find some of the past stremas in the videos as well
https://www.youtube.com/user/LanocReviews/videos
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

:)
Attachments
Thumbs up.jpg
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

garfi3ld wrote:I have been streaming a lot of my prints over the past few days here
http://www.youtube.com/user/LanocReviews/live

You can find some of the past stremas in the videos as well
https://www.youtube.com/user/LanocReviews/videos
It's a shame that the light washes out the most interesting part of the camera view so completely. Can it be turned off or dimmed?
garfi3ld
Plasticator

Post by garfi3ld »

Its not as bad when printing anything darker but right now its printing pink. I think I have the settings still tuned to the purple though let me see if I can tweak it a little. That said being able to dim or turn off the light would help bunch as well
garfi3ld
Plasticator

Post by garfi3ld »

It also might be better if I had the build plate flipped over with the black surface but I damaged it trying to get a large print off
metchells
Noob

Post by metchells »

Machine #6. Frustrating compared to building & calibrating the Max V2. Still unable to get a print started. Seated tube in hot end, it was not in position. Drive gear on cold end was out of place and spitting the filament out the side, re-positioned. Auto Feed script just spins and shreds the filament, manual feeding to the hot end helps. Cold end just seems unable to reliable feed the filament. I can get a print started by manually pushing the filament to assist but within 60-sec the gear stops feeding. Seems like resistance in feeding filament is too high. Do not believe there is a blockage at the hot end.
Also- unable to connect to a Win7Pro machine, never saw the printer. Also unable to connect to the Win10 machine that is running the Max V2. Finally recognized by a Win10 desktop.
metchells
Noob

Post by metchells »

More on Machine #6. Auto Calibrate leaves a very tight fit, perhaps contact at front side and a normal gap at the back side. Manual height setting possible? Or possibly use six points to auto set height, vs. three points.

Observation: Is the too-tight gap preventing extruder from discharging molten filament and causing high feeding resistance that then causes feed gear to strip the filament???

Looks like I got a print started now, took two days on on/off effort.
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

Here's My first impression review video:
https://youtu.be/5jzwOJ4cVqI

I bought Simplify3D and hope to test it soon. I can say it's been reliable so far in the 5 or so hours it's been printing and two different colors of PLA.

Print quality is pretty good, less stringing with whatever the latest config file I downloaded as of 5/17. First layer is a little squished or over-extruded for my liking. I haven't increased the current to the extruder yet (John mentioned on facebook) I will wait for the github update.
[img]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 0982_o.jpg[/img]
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

I think I've got the temp and speed where I want it. Still dealing with some strings but they're improving. Detail on the prints is outstanding.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's not how fast you print, it's how well you print fast!
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

cool modified Mauser 1896 broomhandle pistol model , as you say great detail I hope you will paint it to look like the Star wars prop as well.. Winston Churchill's favorite side arm in the Boer war... though without the lewis gun flash hider... Mind you mine is a WW2 bringback of my dads in 7.63×25mm Mauser and with Russian surplus (7.62×25mm Tokarev).30 ammo the only stuff you can find to feed it these days... the muzzle flash is enough too blind you at night!
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

#45 checking in. (Damn made a lot of these already!)

Hope I can get some time on this before I leave in the morning for Maker Faire lol!
Jack of All Trades Master of None
cjyohe
Noob

Post by cjyohe »

Well, after a bang up start things have gotten mired down a little the past few days.

Have any other early adopters hit serious snags in the autoleveling?
For some reason now the autoleveling calibration will not work. What was working so well before cant even home a single axis anymore.

Starting a day or so ago I noticed an intermittent issue on the axis nearest the spool/extruder where it seemingly would catch/false read.
It also sounded like a slightly louder grind during movement.

Now it can't even home the first axis. It almost seems now like it's slamming into the rails and catching a bit. Possibly too wide on the calibration, although I don't really see how any of that could have changed!
Is anyone else having these issues?

I plan on cracking her open later on and checking to make sure nothing is snagging any of the belts, etc.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

The one time I had a problem with the auto level, was when I preheated the hotend first, and then ran the script. The PLA oozed from the tip, and it could not generate a good signal. It kept repeating itself until the tip could give the build surface a good, solid hit.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Not seen that issue (only have like 25min on mine though)
But I did notice first hit appears to be off because my leveling is too low on that side..
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

cjyohe,

Yes I have experienced some challenges with the calibration script, and have been in contact with John Oly about it.
It was working fine originally, but now I can't get it to work properly.

So, I have gone back to doing a 7 point calibration in Matter Control, or a 3 point calibration.

I've been having a variety of challenges over the past couple of days, mostly concerning the initial layer and some extruder problems.

I really like this printer (I am showing it off at a local MakerSpace tonight), and I hope these issues get resolved quickly.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

One think John mentioned is that the calibration script must be run with the hot end COLD. The accellerometer is sensitive to temperature, so the nozzle must be unheated when performing the auto calibration. That said, it did not solve my bed leveling issue, so that's still open.
garfi3ld
Plasticator

Post by garfi3ld »

cjyohe wrote:Well, after a bang up start things have gotten mired down a little the past few days.

Have any other early adopters hit serious snags in the autoleveling?
For some reason now the autoleveling calibration will not work. What was working so well before cant even home a single axis anymore.

Starting a day or so ago I noticed an intermittent issue on the axis nearest the spool/extruder where it seemingly would catch/false read.
It also sounded like a slightly louder grind during movement.

Now it can't even home the first axis. It almost seems now like it's slamming into the rails and catching a bit. Possibly too wide on the calibration, although I don't really see how any of that could have changed!
Is anyone else having these issues?

I plan on cracking her open later on and checking to make sure nothing is snagging any of the belts, etc.
I ran into this issue once when I accidentally changed the build space size by 10mm in Matter Control

I've also run it into that space when trying to print something that was nearly too large, spinning it around slightly fixed it. But there does seem to be an area prone to binding up out in the far back left corner
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

So I got mine leveling correctly and printing smoothly..
But even at 35mm/s its rounding out corners on calibration cubes (actually only on solid layers its doing this o.O)

But also my axis appear to be out of alignment there is almost a .5mm difference in size from one side to the other..
(left to right) 19.84mm
(front to back) 20.21mm
Height is coming in correctly.. 10.01mm

My first delta, any guidance?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Everyone has done such a good job with unboxing videos, I decided to do something...unconventional. :D

http://youtu.be/wUU_YPCtTt8

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

The calibration problems may have been exacerbated by the hot end being hot. According to John O, the calibration should be done when the nozzle is cold.
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Yea leveling is indeed a pain on this thing I noticed.. it keeps floating off the bed.

It is also easy to induce step skips.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Installed the smart controller tonight. I have to make some minor adjustments to the stl files, but other than a little tight Interference with one of the connectors, it appears to be a painless Install, just Plug n Play.
Attachments
IMG_20160519_001941.jpg
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2

Return to “ERIS Delta”