ERIS Early adopter feedback

The ERIS Delta, a truly affordable entry into Delta 3D Printing
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: ERIS Early adopter feedback

Post by geneb »

If memory serves, you send three different G codes to calibrate the printer and the results are stored in the firmware.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

gene is correct... endstop offsets, horizontal radius, and z height are the 3 caliibration commands.. we are having it in a macro because we also tweak the acceleration before and put it back to normal after so we can get a nice fast hit to trigger the accelerometer.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Have all of the first order shipped?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

guanu wrote:gene is correct... endstop offsets, horizontal radius, and z height are the 3 caliibration commands.. we are having it in a macro because we also tweak the acceleration before and put it back to normal after so we can get a nice fast hit to trigger the accelerometer.
Cool! Thanks.

Does the accelerometer connect to the Rambo, or do you have a uC reading the accelerometer and then sending a signal to the RAMBo via an endstop? If there's a separate uC involved, can the firmware be modded easily?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Mac The Knife wrote:Have all of the first order shipped?
Just received my notification,,,, Signature required, so I had it redirected to my workplace.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

It communicates to the rambo via I2C, not endstop like most use. The firmware has been heavily modified (I wrote the calibration gcode commands, they were not in there) and the accelerometer init stuff was added by ultimachine. We have been working on a one for all firmware, so our eris firmare has all the settings for rostocks and orions in it, and its just a few variables in the config that need to be changed to say what board and what printer you are using so it knows the dimensions and stuff.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

guanu wrote:It communicates to the rambo via I2C, not endstop like most use. The firmware has been heavily modified (I wrote the calibration gcode commands, they were not in there) and the accelerometer init stuff was added by ultimachine. We have been working on a one for all firmware, so our eris firmare has all the settings for rostocks and orions in it, and its just a few variables in the config that need to be changed to say what board and what printer you are using so it knows the dimensions and stuff.
Just wanted to thank you for an excellent job and also thank the rest of the crew who had a hand in getting this up and running.
I know that you will come out with an accessory for the Rostock Max and I will be patient. Again , THANKS!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

Thanks Eagle, to get all the machines done on time me and JJ pulled an all nighter thrusday night to build machines. I was clocked in from 7am Thursday morning till about 7:30am Friday morning lol. Now I'm running a test print on every machine before they get boxed up.
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

guanu wrote:It communicates to the rambo via I2C, not endstop like most use. The firmware has been heavily modified (I wrote the calibration gcode commands, they were not in there) and the accelerometer init stuff was added by ultimachine. We have been working on a one for all firmware, so our eris firmare has all the settings for rostocks and orions in it, and its just a few variables in the config that need to be changed to say what board and what printer you are using so it knows the dimensions and stuff.
I was afraid you were going to day that. When I built my Rostock Max V2, I added a pair of extra wires from the base to the top for future expansion, I used them for LED lighting. It looks like I will have to add additional wires or give up some of the LED options I added.

Actually, this gives me an idea. If the accelerometer is on a specific I2C address then I can repurpose my LED light wires as I2C wires and talk to the accelerometer over those wires and then add an I2C expander at another I2C address and use that to control lights.

By any chance, does ERIS have endstop switches at all, or do you use the accelerometer to sense end stop contact as well? That would free up some wires too.

Come to think of it, you folks could simplify the builds if you made a custom PCB for the hot end that controlled the fans and lights and accelerometer and perhaps had a PT100 and maybe a separate temperature sensor on it. You could get away with running just 4 wires up to the hot end (Power+, Power-, SDA and SCL). That would make the builds simpler, and save a bunch of money on connectors. It would be more reliable, and easier to build, and you could have bonus features like the temperature sensor could detect overheating / fan failure. With a microcontroller on the hot end, you could do PWMs for the LEDs and have LED visual effects or RGB LEDs.
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

Any chance this special calibration with the accelerometer could be implemented in Smoothieware? I know delta's push these ATMega2560's to their limits and it would be a nice future option.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

With patience, I believe that they will come out with this accelerometer calibrator for Repetier first, then the smoothie firmware.
The Reprap software probably doesn't need it but I think it could benefit it also, no more FSRs and that code.
How it will be implemented will be a wait and see game and they have a lot of other responsibilities but slowly and surely we will have
auto calibrating Rostocks...Hallelujah!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The end stop switches are in the base of the machine and aren't adjustable (or practically, even accessible).

g.
Delta Power!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I did not buy an ERIS because I am in full retirement now which means Social Security only so I have to watch my budget closely but I surely
will jump on the Auto Calibrator for the Rostocks when it comes out. Maybe they will have special pricing tiers so that those retired folks
can get one for less money! (just kidding, that would not be fair to everyone else). I have a lot of spare parts and can build several Kossells
using the 15mmX15mm extrusions when Mitsumi had the $250 sale a few years ago. With all my parts I know I can make 3 Mini Kossels with
only a small outlay for parts I don't have like the Glass and the heatbeds. Looking forward to building these also but I want to wait until I
can save up some extra money. We all have been in the save for funds mode once in a while. Chatter time is over. I know GeneB is
celebrating the fact that I shut up.
themitch22
Prints-a-lot

Post by themitch22 »

geneb wrote:The end stop switches are in the base of the machine and aren't adjustable (or practically, even accessible).

g.
How does that work? From the videos I saw it homes at the top like it has endstops, unless there's some sort of hall-effect sensor and magnets on the belts, which is an interesting concept.
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

Got my shipping notice this morning. Due here on the 12th. :D
It's not how fast you print, it's how well you print fast!
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

themitch22 wrote:
geneb wrote:The end stop switches are in the base of the machine and aren't adjustable (or practically, even accessible).

g.
How does that work? From the videos I saw it homes at the top like it has endstops, unless there's some sort of hall-effect sensor and magnets on the belts, which is an interesting concept.
What about sensing the load change on the steppers when the arm hits a stop and can no longer move?
Milamber
Printmaster!

Post by Milamber »

I downloaded Matter Control to get a preview of the software as well as the Eris specific settings listed on the product page. Where do the files in the settings download go?
It's not how fast you print, it's how well you print fast!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
themitch22 wrote:

g.
What about sensing the load change on the steppers when the arm hits a stop and can no longer move?
The end stops are in the bottom. If I remember right, there's a clip on the belt that hits the switch.

g.
Delta Power!
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

It Lives!!! I just had to get into the settings and select COM 3, to connect to the printer.
Attachments
IMG_20160511_135220.jpg
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Congrats Mac! The first truly wild one is out! How'd the calibration probe work for you? PS, we almost drove it up to you when we went to print the label
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Calibration was painless., I don't know if it was necessary, but I changed the file designation from .txt, to .GCODE so that MatterControl would find it.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

and the packaging looks pretty durable.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

First print was the cube,,,, Second print job is this one from Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:617395
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
JATMN
Printmaster!

Post by JATMN »

Mac, Got any pictures of completed prints?
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

JATMN wrote:Mac, Got any pictures of completed prints?
Nah, it's still printing the vase, and I need to tweak the default settings in Matterslice. I think .25 mm layer thickness is a little much to print in vase mode. It isn't a good representation of what the Eris can do.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2

Return to “ERIS Delta”