Azteeg X3 Pro Firmware Issue

euanfoster
Plasticator

Azteeg X3 Pro Firmware Issue

Post by euanfoster »

Hey all,

I recently received my azteeg x3 pro board along with a viki2LCD screen and have not been able to get a single piece of firmware on the damn thing and was wondering if anyone could help?

Initially, I installed the FTDI drivers and directed my device manager to the correct folder. I then downloaded the latest version of repetier, selected the correct COM port and board from the IDE software and it failed with the following error message. I have tried different PC's, 3 different OS's, 3 different USB wires and different versions of the arduino IDE software and still nothing. Since I was so unsuccessful, I have now tried to upload the example blink sketch and that wouldn't even go on either. I have a spare arduino mega 2560 (which I think the X3 Pro is based off) lying about and tried my hardware and software with that. It uploads just fine!

Low memory available, stability problems may occur.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

From other posts I have read online this error message comes from the board not talking to the IDE software. This is either due to a fault in the bootloader or incorrect drivers/IDE settings. From all the trouble shooting I have described above I believe that it could be the former and not the latter, but unfortunately I have zero experience writing bootloaders to arduino boards. I have heard of people using uno boards to write bootloaders but don't know if it is possible for the X3 Pro board? I don't have an uno lying spare but could I use the spare mega 2560? I can always buy an uno if not or if there is an alternative version I would be keen to hear it.

Anyways, I would be keen to hear other peoples take on my problem and see what they make of it. I have contacts Panucatt Devices about this last Thursday but they have still to get back to me....

Regards,

Euan Foster
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Re: Azteeg X3 Pro Firmware Issue

Post by ZakRabbit »

euanfoster wrote:Hey all,

I recently received my azteeg x3 pro board along with a viki2LCD screen and have not been able to get a single piece of firmware on the damn thing and was wondering if anyone could help?

Initially, I installed the FTDI drivers and directed my device manager to the correct folder. I then downloaded the latest version of repetier, selected the correct COM port and board from the IDE software and it failed with the following error message. I have tried different PC's, 3 different OS's, 3 different USB wires and different versions of the arduino IDE software and still nothing. Since I was so unsuccessful, I have now tried to upload the example blink sketch and that wouldn't even go on either. I have a spare arduino mega 2560 (which I think the X3 Pro is based off) lying about and tried my hardware and software with that. It uploads just fine!

Low memory available, stability problems may occur.
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

From other posts I have read online this error message comes from the board not talking to the IDE software. This is either due to a fault in the bootloader or incorrect drivers/IDE settings. From all the trouble shooting I have described above I believe that it could be the former and not the latter, but unfortunately I have zero experience writing bootloaders to arduino boards. I have heard of people using uno boards to write bootloaders but don't know if it is possible for the X3 Pro board? I don't have an uno lying spare but could I use the spare mega 2560? I can always buy an uno if not or if there is an alternative version I would be keen to hear it.

Anyways, I would be keen to hear other peoples take on my problem and see what they make of it. I have contacts Panucatt Devices about this last Thursday but they have still to get back to me....

Regards,

Euan Foster
I believe the Azteeg is a smoothie variant which is based on ARM. I know for sure it runs Smoothie firmware.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

ZakRabbit wrote:
I believe the Azteeg is a smoothie variant which is based on ARM. I know for sure it runs Smoothie firmware.
X3 Pro isn't a smoothie variant (only the Azteeg X5 mini is). X3 Pro is like any other Arduino based firmware controller.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

0110-m-p wrote:
ZakRabbit wrote:
X3 Pro isn't a smoothie variant (only the Azteeg X5 mini is). X3 Pro is like any other Arduino based firmware controller.
Ah, sorry to confuse. Thanks for setting me straight.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Is the board properly powered while uploading? There is a jumper that you can use to power over USB, or with the on board regulator. If it's just via USB make sure you have the proper logic supply selected.
euanfoster
Plasticator

Post by euanfoster »

So an update on where I am on this. I have tried burning a bootloader to the board and found a post in which you can do it with a mega for anyone who is interested - http://www.instructables.com/id/Burn-Ar ... uino-MEGA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Unfortunately after doing this and using a conventional programmer that I bought, this didn't resolve the issue so a new board is currently en route to me from panucatt devices. It took a while for them to communicate with me and it is something they need to improve on, but eventually the matter is resolved!
euanfoster
Plasticator

Post by euanfoster »

I can confirm that the new board is working and going by other posts on other forums I don't think I have been the first person this has happened to. For all looking at this post, I think Panucatt Devices make great hardware that noone else is making right now, but their quality control is pretty poor and they are very slow in responding. I managed to find a number online to call them directly and did so over skype since I am based in the UK.

Euan
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

euanfoster wrote:I can confirm that the new board is working and going by other posts on other forums I don't think I have been the first person this has happened to. For all looking at this post, I think Panucatt Devices make great hardware that noone else is making right now, but their quality control is pretty poor and they are very slow in responding. I managed to find a number online to call them directly and did so over skype since I am based in the UK.

Euan
Thanks for the information. I am also planning on using an Azteeg X5 mini and and X3 Pro on two printers that I am building soon, so hopefully I have decent luck with the quality of them.

Can you post the phone number you found?
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
euanfoster
Plasticator

Post by euanfoster »

The number I got for Panucatt was +1 (714) 767-0778. Roy Cotes seems to be the man running the full operation.

Euan
euanfoster
Plasticator

Post by euanfoster »

Another side note! I have just recently found out that the Viki2 LCD cables are pretty poorly specified for the electrically noisy job at hand. I found that jobs would randomly crash with the message 'SD read error'. I called E3D up since they are also based in the UK and they agreed that it was interference with LCD cables (E3D also sell great products). I then shielded and insulated the cables with aluminium and electrical tape and the problem disappear all together. I can now run very long prints( > 12 hrs) with no risk of the print crashing :D
Cobaltrod
Prints-a-lot

Post by Cobaltrod »

So I have the Rostock MAx with Azteeg X3Pro and VIKI2 display, and I have a working version of Repetier .92 with the Viki2 display working. My issue is that I need to generate a new firmware configuration using the Repetier firmware configuration tool, and when I do, and select the Viki2 display, after firmware upload the display doesn't work. I'm trying to figure out what sections or files for the display I need to copy from my working config, to get the display working on my new config.

I've tried copying files ui*.* and pin definitions but that didn't fix it. Does anyone know what sections of code or files I could copy from config1 to give config2 the same display panel code. Thanks.

Return to “Azteeg X3 and X3 Pro”