Smoothieboard group purchase

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Smoothieboard group purchase

Post by mhackney »

A number of people have. Check out 626Pilot. I believe Nylocke has. I have a mini kossel on smoothie and when the new boards I just ordered come in, my Max is being converted asap. I anticipate excellent results like I have on my kossel.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I still have the X3 Pro on my MAX currently (waiting for either a 3-4 extruder solution thats either a cheaper BBB based solution or a beefier Smoothie based board). There is an X5 Mini (smoothie based) on the printer I built for my school, but lately it powers off any time I try to print because the 5 amp PSU isn't enough for it. I have gotten good prints with it though.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

That's encouraging. I would like to upgrade but I don't know enough about the Smoothieboard to do it without any help. So if there are folks that have done so successfully, then at least there are resources with experience.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Will any knockoff GLCD work with the Smoothiboard or is it just best to go with the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller?

For example will this one work? http://www.mini-kossel.com/RepRapDiscou ... Controller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I screwed up and selected the GLCD Shield with no LCD and didn't notice.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I bought one from Amazon that is a K/O but even has the RRD url on it - it looked exactly like the one in your link. It would not work with smoothie or RAMBo. I sent it back.

But seriously, you can get the real thing at 25% off with the smoothie purchase so why mess around. Contact Uber and tell them you want the GLCD, they are great to work with and I am sure they will set you up.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Roger that, It already shipped before I noticed and I didn't see just the GLCD on the site to purchase solo. I'll send an email and see what happens.
imyz
Plasticator

Post by imyz »

The Smoothie documentation says it's supported so should work, but not owning any of the above, I cannot test and say for sure.
http://smoothieware.org/panel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I guess it depends on how well the clones are made to the original. I might end up grabbing a knockoff anyways because I want a red background. We'll see, I sent an email to Uberclock.

Edit: actually I'm glad you posted that link. That Viki 2.0 is a nice looking display, I might go with that.
http://www.panucatt.com/product_p/vikilcd2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Like I said, I purchased a clone from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L72 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(look familiar?)

Tried it on 3 different known working with GLCD configurations (Smoothie, RAMBo, Azteeg X3 Pro) and it did not work on ANY of these as-configured. So either the board was defective or not the same. I sent it back.

Contrast that with 3 RRD official displays, all worked and are interchangeable.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I'm definitely not doubting your word. Mark is checking to see if my package has left, if not I'll order the "real" GLCD and ship it in the same box. Otherwise I think I'm going purchase the Viki 2.0
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

It was perplexing that the Amazon board looked identical. Except, the cable connectors on the backside were upside down from the genuine RRD displays I have. But I checked the schematics linked at their site and the pin assignments were identical.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I planned on using one of the $20 boards. I also emailed uberclock to see if mine shipped yet to add it.
add1ct3dd
Printmaster!

Post by add1ct3dd »

So have many people used them on the Rostock yet?

I'm very very tempted, been interested since the start of the group buy. I've seen there's 2 or 3 posts on it, which relate to the config, but worried I'll end up spending weeks configuring it and getting it tuned right?
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

Does the smoothie board bring any improvement compared to the Rambo Board ?

I mean, It looks fancy and all, but what benefit could one expect from the controller switch alone ?
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

In my case, no major improvement over stock. I'm sure it's a more capable board though. My v2 is a hobby only based machine and it's working great as it stands right now. I purchased the Smoothieboard ( arms/trucks from tricklaser) to build a new all metal 3d printer.
add1ct3dd
Printmaster!

Post by add1ct3dd »

enggmaug wrote:Does the smoothie board bring any improvement compared to the Rambo Board ?

I mean, It looks fancy and all, but what benefit could one expect from the controller switch alone ?
Many improvements, have a search on the old google :)

So technically it should improve, but in reality - not sure, which is why I asked :).
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Ordered a board (4xC) from uberclock for new Max based project. Discount worked.

Uberclock is sold out of the GLCD display/adapter, so I went ahead and ordered this from Robotseed. For whatever reason, Robotseed is no longer honoring the discount, saying that it has expired. Might be a different timezone on the other side of the globe, but we're all in the same month at the moment...
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
staticbunny
Printmaster!

Post by staticbunny »

So freaking bummed out that i missed this by one day.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Finally got my Smoothieboard in today and it's missing the GLCD :(

Originally I ordered without the LCD, canceled that order in time before it shipped, and received a refund. Re-ordered before MRRF and just received the box today missing the LCD.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

KAS wrote:Finally got my Smoothieboard in today and it's missing the GLCD :(

Originally I ordered without the LCD, canceled that order in time before it shipped, and received a refund. Re-ordered before MRRF and just received the box today missing the LCD.
Maybe they shipped your cancelled order and your real order!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

KAS wrote:Finally got my Smoothieboard in today and it's missing the GLCD :(

Exactly the same thing happened to me as well. I sent them an e-mail but haven't heard back yet.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

An Uberclock guy made an apology for the time it is taking to process orders on the delta google group today. You have to remember that they got hacked with a lot of orders and I am sure add-ons, cancelled and changed orders, all at once. I was lucky and got my 2 boards, displays and adapters within 3 days but I know they are working their way through. I'm not sure what the logistics were but Arthur (aka Mr. Smoothie) issued the group by incentive but to the best of my knowledge, he does not have a commercial interest in Uberclock or the European reseller who had to fulfill the orders at discount! I assume he gave them their normal share.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

Tylor,

Hello, sorry for the delay and the slow reply. I am out of town right now. Last weekend was the Midwest RepRap Festival in Indiana.

There are a couple issues in play at the moment. To start with we received a LOT of orders with the delta group buy and fell a couple days behind in processing orders. Then, presumably because we were dropping off so many packages at once, USPS was not scanning all of the packages that had been dropped off. The gentleman who does my shipping is also here at MRRF ... so I really have no way of verifying the true status of an order right now because there is no one at the warehouse. We also managed to oversell the GLCD shields by about 5-10 before I turned the product off and ran out of flat rate bubble mailers. It has been long enough now that I think we can safely assume that your package has not been shipped yet. This is probably either because we did not have enough GLCD shields or bubble mailers.

So ... there isn't anything I can do to continue processing your order until we get back home which should be by the 30th. If you would like to cancel your order and get a refund I can set that up for you. Otherwise we will get your order out to you as soon as we can.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. Please, let me know how you would like to proceed.

Cheers,
Mark
last email i got they oversold the GLCD
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

bubbasnow wrote:
Tylor,

Hello, sorry for the delay and the slow reply. I am out of town right now. Last weekend was the Midwest RepRap Festival in Indiana.

There are a couple issues in play at the moment. To start with we received a LOT of orders with the delta group buy and fell a couple days behind in processing orders. Then, presumably because we were dropping off so many packages at once, USPS was not scanning all of the packages that had been dropped off. The gentleman who does my shipping is also here at MRRF ... so I really have no way of verifying the true status of an order right now because there is no one at the warehouse. We also managed to oversell the GLCD shields by about 5-10 before I turned the product off and ran out of flat rate bubble mailers. It has been long enough now that I think we can safely assume that your package has not been shipped yet. This is probably either because we did not have enough GLCD shields or bubble mailers.

So ... there isn't anything I can do to continue processing your order until we get back home which should be by the 30th. If you would like to cancel your order and get a refund I can set that up for you. Otherwise we will get your order out to you as soon as we can.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. Please, let me know how you would like to proceed.

Cheers,
Mark
last email i got they oversold the GLCD

Looks like that email is regarding the GLCD Shield. I got that, just not the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

it was actually about the whole order in general, i also received my shield and controller but not the LCD...

Return to “Smoothieboard and variants”