1.8mm filament

Discuss filament successes and failures!
ramai
Printmaster!

1.8mm filament

Post by ramai »

I picked up some cool silver filament, and it works in my printrbot, but gets jammed up in my RMX. It's 1.8mm which must be causing too much friction in the bowden tube. Any thoughts on this, or is it a lost cause?
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: 1.8mm filament

Post by JFettig »

Its possible - I do have a spool of PETG that is 1.8mm and its running fine however.

Maybe you have a slight kink in your bowden or had a zip tie too tight on it at one point? Mine has a tight spot because I zip tied my bowden tube down to the umbilical at one point.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

If you think it's bowden friction that's the problem, you can oil the filament with canola oil. Works wonders.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Before you get oil in the works, just remove the bowden tube and see how the filament slides through the tube by hand. It could also be the drive wheel on the stepper motor, the diameter of the brass fittings, or the temperature that you're extruding at. I'd check all of those first. PTFE is pretty slick stuff.

Return to “Filament”