Hatchbox gold ABS issues

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Hatchbox gold ABS issues

Post by Shizuma »

Has anyone tried the hatchbox gold abs filament and had any luck? I got a spool last week but I can't seem to get a good print out of it, they all look more or less like this and it also jammed my hotend once, other filament from hatchbox print great, it's just this color, I figured I'd post a picture of a calibration cube printed with it to draw if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing it, maybe slicer settings?

It was printed on a Rostock max with an e3d v6 with a .6mm nozzle, .2mm layer height, 235C nozzle, 90C bed
Attachments
20150520_082957~01.jpg
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: Hatchbox gold ABS issues

Post by JFettig »

I have printed thru almost a full spool. It works very well for me. I run 245c nozzle and 45mm/s - 60mm/s

There is a huge elephants foot on that part, not sure what to think of it but it doesn't look too good. How fast are you printing?
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

Not that fast, I think 45mm/s for that print. I did also try a higher extrude temp as I normally print abs at 245C, just this spool is giving me nothing but problems. The huge elephants foot is also only on that spool of filament, other spools it's basically fine, a tiny bit wider on the bottom, around .010-.020", but that's it, this stuff is wide on the bottom, about 1/4" up it gets much narrower than it should be and then widens up to close to the size it should be. It measures out at 1.012" at the bottom, .955" 1/2" up, and about .985" at the top, other filament it measures out at 1.005" at the bottom for maybe the first few layers then consistently .985" the rest of the way.
Attachments
For reference this is the same cube on my printer with different filament
For reference this is the same cube on my printer with different filament
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

Did you profile the filament for diameter, looks to me like there is just too much plastic coming out of the hotend.

I have almost every Hatchbox color EXCEPT Gold and they all vary in diameter, within .05mm of 1.75mm but their average diameter is everything from 1.75mm to 1.70mm this makes a huge difference!
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

Yup, I do that every time I get a new spool of filament and have profiles for each individual color/manufacturer combo which I update whenever I replace that color spool.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Check over all of your settings carefully, I suspect that something is off - or you have a mechanical problem. Looks like the other calibration cube used a smaller nozzle to print? Maybe your lower temps are causing you to loose steps? I doubt it but possible situations that would cause that. Looks like its under extruding and having position issues.
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

Yeah, they were printed at different times, they grey was from a few weeks ago with a .4mm nozzle, the gold with the .6mm nozzle (or so I though), otherwise the settings were the same, but anyways I was looking at it and noticing the extruded filament seemed really wide, so I measured it and it was .85mm diameter, took the nozzle off and sure enough the .6mm nozzle was in fact a .8mm nozzle instead of the .6mm nozzle I ordered, so hopefully that was entirely the problem, though before I noticed that I did print the white filament with the same nozzle (and thus incorrect nozzle settings) and while it didn't print correctly it was no where near as bad as the gold was.
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

So after swapping back to a .4mm nozzle I went and ran another set of cubes, same settings aside from the filament and filament diameter, much better, but the gold still seems to be difficult, here's all 4 cubes, the two printed with the .8mm nozzle I thought was .6mm and the two with the .4mm nozzle, in both cases the gold did produce noticeably worse results :/
Attachments
20150520_225251~01.jpg
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Interesting, maybe its a wet spool(high moisture content) and needs to be dried? If its a fresh spool, might not hurt to reach out to the mfg - or amazon or whoever sells it to ask for a different spool. I have had good luck drying spools in the oven that didn't print very well.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Here is a part I printed with the same gold ABS with E3D hot end(chimera, single .4mm nozzle)

The part looks perfect, I have a feeling its either a bad spool or still some settings that need changing but if those parts are printed back to back... I'm leaning toward bad spool.
Attachments
mt.jpg
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

I'll try that tonight after work and see if it helps, I've never had filament with too much moisture in it before so I'm not familiar exactly with what the problems related to that look like.

Yup, they were printed back to back, the white first and then switched to the gold. That print looks great, hopefully drying will help, if not then yeah, maybe a bad spool, first spool I've had issues with like this in over a year of having my printer.
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

So I tried drying out the filament but no luck, still having the same issues, what's really weird is it's consistently the same issues, the two gold ones look almost exactly the same where they had the issues, where as the white one doesn't have those issues.
Attachments
20150522_230859~01.jpg
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Have you tried measuring the actual extrusion achieved when a specific amount of extrusion is commanded? It would be weird for the difference to be so pronounced, but if the gold filament is harder for some reason it would overextrude without a change to steps per mm or extrusion multiplier.
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

The extrusion length? If so no, I haven't checked that, just the diameter, which seems fine.

Return to “Filament”