MG Chemicals

Discuss filament successes and failures!
jdurand
Printmaster!

MG Chemicals

Post by jdurand »

I was just looking up an MSDS for our company and noticed that MG Chemicals has a new 3D printer section with filaments, chemicals, and tapes. Never thought of these guys getting into this but I guess if you have a chemical factory and 3D printing people have credit cards...you start selling material.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/3d-printing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
bot
Printmaster!

Re: MG Chemicals

Post by bot »

Yeah, I noticed that a few months back when picking up some conductive shielding spray for some experiments that I have yet to do. Damnit time flies.

They are a local company to me, and stores here stock their 1.75mm filament. It's only listed as 1.75mm +/- 0.1mm. Not great tolerances really. Also one store has it listed as 1.7mm only. odd.
Good in an emergency maybe.
*not actually a robot
Howler
Plasticator

Post by Howler »

I actually picked up a .5kg spool of MG Chemicals Gold (Gold color was on sale for like $12). Loaded it up the other day and did a few prints. Nothing massive, but prints fine so far. I have to check my notes, but I think the size averaged 1.7mm.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

POL100 / POL200 would be like kapton tape? or it's something new?
Martín S.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

bot wrote:Yeah, I noticed that a few months back when picking up some conductive shielding spray for some experiments that I have yet to do. Damnit time flies.

They are a local company to me, and stores here stock their 1.75mm filament. It's only listed as 1.75mm +/- 0.1mm. Not great tolerances really. Also one store has it listed as 1.7mm only. odd.
Good in an emergency maybe.
Most filament brands have that tolerance (even IC3D and Ultimachine). Its not that a single spool of filament may vary that much, its more the average diameter for the whole spool will be between 1.7 and 1.8 with generally a +/-.025mm tolerance. Generally the extrusion machine gets to a diameter within the tolerance, and then aims to be consistent around that diameter. Its a bit of the precision vs accuracy problem. They aren't the "most accurate" so to speak, but they are good at being precise.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I'm noticing that some of my cheaper filament isn't exactly round either. One section it will be 1.75 flip is 90 and it will read 1.72 on the same spot. Like it's still warm when its being wound on the spools.

Return to “Filament”