makergeeks.com PLA and ABS

Discuss filament successes and failures!
FrznTek
Prints-a-lot

makergeeks.com PLA and ABS

Post by FrznTek »

Anyone use this stuff? I ordered a spool of the Royal Purple PLA.

Good price on 1Kg spools and it's made here in the USA.

Woth watching the video on there site to see how filament is made either way :) .
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Re: makergeeks.com PLA and ABS

Post by mvansomeren »

FrznTek wrote:Anyone use this stuff? I ordered a spool of the Royal Purple PLA.

Good price on 1Kg spools and it's made here in the USA.

Woth watching the video on there site to see how filament is made either way :) .
I was just going to order a couple of spools of ABS from them today. Some of the temps they list for their ABS seems a little on the higher side. The video explaining how they make their filament is what convinced me to try them but it would be nice to see if anyone has actually used their stuff.
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

I have used some. I also got a spool of the royal Purple PLA, but haven't used that yet. I got one of there "Fun" packs of ABS that I have been using. As compared to the SeeMeCNC ABS that I got the makergeeks stuff is almost the same as far as Temp that I've found. I have tried the bright blue, bright green, and grey with the following temps respectively 228,228,225. 225 is what I run the Platnum/Silver that I got from SeeMeCNC. So not much difference.

One nice thing I can say is that the diameter is very consistent. When I measure with my digital calipers the diameter only varies by 10 microns up or down. And you can use BitCoin at makergeeks also, and Josh is a nice and helpful guy(no affiliation).
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

Neptune wrote:I have used some. I also got a spool of the royal Purple PLA, but haven't used that yet. I got one of there "Fun" packs of ABS that I have been using. As compared to the SeeMeCNC ABS that I got the makergeeks stuff is almost the same as far as Temp that I've found. I have tried the bright blue, bright green, and grey with the following temps respectively 228,228,225. 225 is what I run the Platnum/Silver that I got from SeeMeCNC. So not much difference.

One nice thing I can say is that the diameter is very consistent. When I measure with my digital calipers the diameter only varies by 10 microns up or down. And you can use BitCoin at makergeeks also, and Josh is a nice and helpful guy(no affiliation).
Good info, thanks. I ordered White and "natural" ABS from makergeeks a few hours ago. I've been using black ABS from eSun and it works well... but the diameter of the 1.75 ABS varried from 1.70 to 1.68.
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I tried some of maker geeks white ABS and I really wanted to like it because of the "made in the USA" and "bitcoin" angles but in the end, I couldn't get it to print as nicely as some of the other ABS I've tried. It definitely needs to print hotter than usual, and I had a problem with stringing which I couldn't eliminate and was very unusual for ABS.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

BenTheRighteous wrote:I tried some of maker geeks white ABS and I really wanted to like it because of the "made in the USA" and "bitcoin" angles but in the end, I couldn't get it to print as nicely as some of the other ABS I've tried. It definitely needs to print hotter than usual, and I had a problem with stringing which I couldn't eliminate and was very unusual for ABS.
Did you send it back? They have a money back guarantee if you don't like their filament. Just return the unused portion and they will refund the full purchase price. At least that is what their site says...
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

No, I was printing something pretty big and was able to modify my slicer settings so that the stringing was mostly (not completely, but like 95%) mitigated. I hoped to finish the project before the spool ran out, but unfortunately it didn't last that long.

Now I'm sitting here with a few more pieces left to print, wondering if I want to order another makergeeks spool for the exact color match... I haven't decided yet.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
FrznTek
Prints-a-lot

Post by FrznTek »

I say give it another shot. You will have matching pieces, and it is a good price (IMO)

who knows, maybe that first spool was a fluke, and second time is a charm?

Return to “Filament”