Gizmo Dorks ABS review

Discuss filament successes and failures!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Gizmo Dorks ABS review

Post by JFettig »

I picked up a few spools of gizmo dorks filament, 1 HIPS, 2 ABS. I haven't started into the black ABS yet but ran through the full spool of blue.

Overall I haven't been very excited about it. it did print ok but for some reason the surface quality is very poor. It has ridges every 10 layers or so where I swapped out to some Matter Hackers ABS on the same program and it turned out beautifully. The GD filament strings quite a bit. I ran it as low as 225 and as high as 235 where I run my other ABS filament and strings and slings goobers.

Its cheap filament but I'm hoping to find another relatively cheap filament that is high quality. I'll happily pay an extra $5 per spool for better quality!

The part in blue is Gizmo dorks and in red is MatterHackers regular ABS. see the pic full size - smooth finish in red, bumpy in blue.
gizmo dorks.jpg
Will be trying Hatchbox next - I have some translucent filament from them and it has printed the best out of everything I've tried so far.
teri1337
Prints-a-lot

Re: Gizmo Dorks ABS review

Post by teri1337 »

I have a lot of HATCHBOX and have been happy with it thus far. I've been printing mostly PLA, but the ABS seems to print well, too. I'd be interested to see how you rate it against other brands. :)
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

You LIKE MatterHackers ABS?! :shock:

I admit I only tried their black, but it was bad enough that I'm never going to try any of their other colors.

I have some Gizmo Dorks white on the way, so maybe I'll be able to add to your review sooner or later. :)
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

BenTheRighteous wrote:You LIKE MatterHackers ABS?! :shock:

I admit I only tried their black, but it was bad enough that I'm never going to try any of their other colors.

I have some Gizmo Dorks white on the way, so maybe I'll be able to add to your review sooner or later. :)

I didn't say I liked it ;) actually red and white regular abs print very nice, black 'pro' ABS printed poorly, I had 2 spools and one visibly steams, they are sending me a new non-pro spool.
Last edited by JFettig on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Oops, indeed you did not. I stand corrected. :lol:
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I have 3 spools coming from Gizmo Dorks today, 2 pla, and one abs. If its that bad, I'll just throw in the .7 tip and make some lawn ornaments with the abs.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I should note that gizmodorks was strangely helpful when asking questions about their HIPS, they weren't able to answer any of them but I got it printing anyway but insisted on sending me another spool. I told them it was fine and I figured it out multiple times, each time asked to send me a spool, they wouldn't take no for an answer :P
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I wouldn't fully discount Gizmodorks filament, its decent for the price. I had 3 spools of the stuff so I threw in the yellow and printed 1.25lbs(large print), now I have black in to print the same thing(another design iteration), the yellow one came out pretty good, less stringing than the blue one, however the nozzle is only hitting 230C for some reason. Color looks pretty awesome - its Lemon Yellow.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/alUc8O8.jpg[/img]
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Quick update - I cracked open the spool of black GD filament - its pretty gross, printed the same part as I've been printing(got 6 13" tall parts, 17-32 hours a piece depending on settings), blobs and holes moisture holes all over.

I've been printing more of the yellow - I really like the color and it does print nicely.

Return to “Filament”