Microcenter Inland Filament is the same as Toy builder labs.

Discuss filament successes and failures!
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Microcenter Inland Filament is the same as Toy builder labs.

Post by travelphotog »

So Microcenter just opened a new HUGE store here In Houston. They moved from the older small store into a nice huge new store. I happened to go check it out today and ran into one of the corporate big wig guys who buys their 3d printing stuff. Most of their 3d printers were not printing well as demos in the store and no one onsite had much of a clue why. I offered to help and ended up getting all seven of their printers up and running much better. Two things came out of this..

First he confirmed with me (called his supply guy to confirm) that their Inland brand filaments are from the very same supplier in China who supplies Toy Builders Lab filament. I had suspected this due to the spool and labeling bing pretty much 100% the same and very different from other filaments I have used. I also had noted that they both printed 100% the same for a given type and color of filament. Now I love Toy Builders Labs filaments. But at $35 from Toy Builders Lab Vs $19.00 +tax at Microcenter, well for me I have to watch the bottom dollar.

So if you have a Microcenter in your area, go in and check out their INLAND house brand filament. It comes in a white box with the filament vacuum sealed in a tough inner plastic bag, just like Toy Builders Labs does. Best part is they also sell it online http://www.microcenter.com/product/4343 ... ment_175mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (on sale for $14.99 right now) They have ABS and PLA in about four or five basic colors.

Just wanted to share with everyone as I know that good filaments are hard to find and affordable ones are even harder to find.

Second is more for the SeeMeCNC crew.. While I was fixing their demo printers, the big wig purchasing guy starting asking where I learned to fix printers and which one I owned. I of course had to brag about the Max V2 and how great a printer it is. One thing lead to another and he asked to see the SeeMeCNC.com website.. He LOVED the look of the printers and a few guys standing around made comments about how great Delta printers are over a Makerbot style printer. So he ups and calls a guy back at the office and tells him to look into the Orion printers and asks why was HE just now hearing about this style printer from a customer and not for his staff... So not sure but they might be in touch!! I have no idea how you guys work that stuff but I would sure be super proud to walk into a Microcenter and see an Orion Delta printer printing away as a demo next to a nice "Sold here" sign!

Anyhow. Just wanted to pass along the filament news and hope the SeMeCNC crew gets a call from Microcenter one day soon!

Cheers!
http://713maker.com/ Custom aluminum and carbon fiber hot end mounts for the Rostock Max and Orion.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Microcenter Inland Filament is the same as Toy builder l

Post by geneb »

That's AWESOME news! :)

I just wish they had a store in Tacoma. Unfortunately, I suspect if they ever open a store in Washington State, it'll be in Seattle or farther north. 120+ mile round trips just ain't worth it. :(

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the Tip! I have a Microcenter 20 minutes away. :-)

I happen to love the ToybuilderLabs/PrototypeSupply/(Inland?) filaments.

I haven't had a bad spool yet, and prints with this filament tend to have more of a matte finish then the Octave and Ultimachine stuff, which is also very good. Between the three suppliers, they all seem to be high quality filaments.

Very consistent results, and for anyone who wants to give it a try, I've been pleased with all the colors I've tried so far, but their white filament is gorgeous. It's a very bright, slightly bluish white.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It's my understanding from Guanu that if you bump the temp a bit you end up with shinier prints - at least in PLA.

g.
Delta Power!
BONE
Printmaster!

Post by BONE »

Inland filament is pretty nice to print with. Three other guys I know are printing with it, all on different machines and they love it also. The price is right also.

I pickup a roll of Makerbot PLA blue, really like the color, for $25. It is 1.75-1.80mm, which is just oversize. I'll try to print with it, if it's trouble, it will get returned.

I asked one of the younger guys working at Microcenter if he could check the back for what I wanted. He told me that he did not know filaments and had to go get someone else. Also make sure you get what you want if they run to the back. They don't know the difference between PLA or ABS. OR.. don't know how to read.
The BONE ZONE build thread.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

the filament says 14.99 but no where does it mention weight....
tbone_atl
Plasticator

Post by tbone_atl »

I bought 1KG (2.2lbs) at MicroCenter in Marietta, GA for $14.99.
[2014 - Rostock Max v2] [2013 - Prusa i3] [2012 - Prusa Mendel] [2010 - Sells Mendel]
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

bubbasnow wrote:the filament says 14.99 but no where does it mention weight....
It is 1 KG spool for that price of the inland filaments for PLA AND ABS. The also do some GITD stuff and some PVA as I recall, but those are a bit more in the range of $25-$35 as I recall.
http://713maker.com/ Custom aluminum and carbon fiber hot end mounts for the Rostock Max and Orion.
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

The big wig I spoke with said they planned to keep the filament as their "house" brand and they were going to be making a "bigger push" with 3d printers and such. I hope they do. I plan to visit the store again shortly and talk with their "3d" guy.. Their settings and such were WAY off and their demo prints looked pretty sad. It was pretty clear they were printing WAY too hot on most of their printers and far too few top layers and such. I see it this way. They better the demo prints look for ANY printer, the more folks get into the hobby and the better is it for EVERYONE.

I have been printing about five rolls of their "inland" PLA so far. I have used the White x2, Natural x2 and one roll of their blue (which is SUPER RICH blue color and SLIGHTLY transparent in thin walled pieces). I have yet to have any issues it is prints 100% as well and the Toy Boulders Labs stuff I bought when I got my printer.

Also to the folks who do not live near a Microcenter, they do online sales for the same prices and the shipping can not be the over $14 price difference that Toy Builders Lab charges just for the Spool and BEFORE shipping on their end.

Cheers!
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

gestalt73 wrote: I haven't had a bad spool yet
I think this is where people have to be careful where they are thinking they are getting $35 filament for $20 bucks now. The Toybuilders guy does quite a bit of quality control, many of the rolls he gets never makes it to customers. I doubt these guys are doing the same and the "haven't had a bad spool yet" may no longer hold even if it all comes from the same source. Now at the price difference it might be worth the risk for many but don't think you are getting the exact same product (or customer service).
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

Hey Geneb,

I've taken this filament up to 280c, and it maintains its matte finish, at least for ABS. Haven't tried PLA yet.

Not that I'm complaining, I like the look enough that I've been moving over to it exclusively as I expend my previous rolls.

I think about 50% of my rolls are toybuilderlabs now, 50% are still Octave, with a single roll of Ultimachine Orange to see what all the fuss was about
geneb wrote:It's my understanding from Guanu that if you bump the temp a bit you end up with shinier prints - at least in PLA.

g.
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

gestalt73 wrote:Hey Geneb,

I've taken this filament up to 280c, and it maintains its matte finish, at least for ABS. Haven't tried PLA yet.

Not that I'm complaining, I like the look enough that I've been moving over to it exclusively as I expend my previous rolls.

I think about 50% of my rolls are toybuilderlabs now, 50% are still Octave, with a single roll of Ultimachine Orange to see what all the fuss was about
geneb wrote:It's my understanding from Guanu that if you bump the temp a bit you end up with shinier prints - at least in PLA.

g.

I have used some Toner Plastic PLA rolls and above 215 they tend to print very glossy for me and under that range they tend to go matte finish. So far I have been printing are the 215 mark of late and the finish is over all matte. bit I have a number of items printed at 220 and they have a very high gloss to them in PLA.
Proto
Printmaster!

Post by Proto »

well this is fortuitous

I went to Microcenter to buy some ABS. chose the inland purely on price, I didn't want sink a lot of money into filament if I can avoid it.

I was actually going to start a thread about the Inland filament if I hadn't of seen this one.
This Space for RENT --- PM me for info --- :roll: :lol:

My build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OG build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Proto wrote:well this is fortuitous

I went to Microcenter to buy some ABS. chose the inland purely on price, I didn't want sink a lot of money into filament if I can avoid it.

I was actually going to start a thread about the Inland filament if I hadn't of seen this one.
Do they have a good selection of colors? Living in Lansing, I'm not to wild about making a trip to the "D" on a whim. But if the price is right, and the filament performs, I'd make the trip.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

I know the store here stocks: Black, Green, Red, Blue, White and Orange in PLA and ABS. But I found out today that the store in Houston is their flagship store now in the country. But their website lists all of the above also.
Proto
Printmaster!

Post by Proto »

off hand, I remember Black, White, Red, Grey, Blue, and maybe green in ABS. In PLA, I remeber all the colors that were in ABS plus Natural (kind of off White/Cream)

Microcenter also had other colors in Makerbot & XYZ

XYZ was about $30 for 60grams
Makerbot seemed to start at $40 for a Kilogram

My build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OG build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

There is a Micro Center in Cambridge Mass, perhaps the original one ?
I go in there a couple of times a month when I happen to be in the area, always on weekdays.
Their 3D printer displays are merely "there" with please do not touch signs on.
They are never printing anything and it is my impression that the store staff has been told to leave them alone.
I might ask for a demo the next time I'm there and according to the response I might volunteer to get one running.
Not that I know anything about the wretched Cartesian machines, but how hard could it BE ?
Proto
Printmaster!

Post by Proto »

RegB wrote:Their 3D printer displays are merely "there" with please do not touch signs on.
They are never printing anything and it is my impression that the store staff has been told to leave them alone.
Strange, the store by me always seems to have new printing samples laying around the printers, even though I also never see the run.

The XYZ printers always have samples around them. Especially off of the DaVinci 2.0. Showing off the dual extruder.

The Printrbot Simple Metal, the salesman admitted that no one there knows how to configure & run it

The Makerbot, the salesman says they are always making samples off of it, when it doesn't breakdown (interesting comment about their most expensive 3D Printer)

travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

My store here in Houston has 6 or 7 printers and most of them are running when I have seen them. But running and working right, well those are two very different things indeed. I think one of the worst parts is the stupid things they choose to print. Who in the heck is going to buy a 3D printer when the only things they see printed or printing out are small worthless trinket objects off Thingiverse. They do not even run them through a slicer, just right off the card and onto the printers. They seems very confused when I spoke to them about a slicer.. One guy told me Makerbots did not need software, they "just print".. Umm yeah.. OK Tell that to the lump of the failed print over there on the Makerbot buddy....

But I do admit that they have the printers going everyday it seems. There is always a crowd watching them and they often have samples laying around. Most of the samples are not very good, often they have holes or globs from being printed too hot and or fast. But I guess it beats a "Do Not Touch" sign. I just wish they understood that maybe printing out something like an Arduino case (the printers are in the walkway right off the Arduino area) or something that is useful and will click with their target customers for 3D printers. I think until retailers better understand 3D printing and "real world" uses for it, that it will remain a curiosity in their stores and not a big seller to the average person. We all know that right now ( and for some time to come) that 3D printing is as much or more an "art" than a science. But I think their sad choice of print samples, colors used and lack of knowledge among their staff is doing a disservice to many folks who want to explore this field more. Who would buy the latest TV or laptop is it never worked in the store or seemed to struggle to play back even the most basic of video file in the store.

It reminds me of Reef keeping. Some stores will sell anyone any fish or coral they want, just to make the sale. But they do not take the time and effort to make sure it is going to a tank that can support it and that the buyer understands how to keep the animal alive long term. Over time folks spend a ton of money to replace everything in their tank as it dies off from lack of good care. The store makes money for a bit, then the guy folds his tank, sells it cheap on Craigslist and tells all his buddies that the Reef hobby sucks, costs a ton of money and everything still dies. So none of his buddies get into the hobby and the fish store losses out on new customers. I am from the school that says to teach someone the right way, even if it takes more time and effort. They succeed at their given hobby and return to your store for years to come and bring a friend or two along once in a while who also join the hobby and buy more stuff. I guess that some stores just do not get it.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

The solution to the stores knowing nothing about the products they sell, stay with SeeMeCNC and buy the best with great support with it.
Proto
Printmaster!

Post by Proto »

Travelphotog got me to thinking again. :shock:

Something that will show the basic build volume of a specific machine. Here is a Thingy I threw together for the Orion
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~proto//Images/ ... mplate.JPG[/img]

The Idea is to print this up once, and the place this on the machine when ever it is idle.

the actual size of this doo-dad is 5.25" dia x 8. which is under the Orion's maximums. The idea is that a physical representation of the build volume is a better scale than printed numbers on a page.

BTW - Solid Models and/or STL files available :D

geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Now that's pretty damn cool.

g.
Delta Power!
Print_This
Printmaster!

Post by Print_This »

i too picked up a couple 1kg spools of the inland PLA, i bought red and white, i have only tested with red yesterday. i started off with 190 then up to 210 as the print progressed. 300mm speed. printed looked decent .25 layers i had no problems sticking to the bed and each layer stuck well, i do have a bit of stringing issues so next is to either up the temp or speed and vice versa. if you guys have some recommended settings that work well on our rostock please post them up for us to see.
--------------
If you survive chicago winters you can survive 3d printing!
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

I have been printing a ton of the white and black PLA at the following settings and been very happy with it. .15-.2 layers, 60-75 speed, 215 head, 60 bed, full fan, 4.5mm retracts .4 nozzle on a E3d V6 head 3 perimeters 4 layers top and bottom. I have done a number of 56+ hour prints ( Really BIG prints ) and had no issues so far. I use purple glue stick on the bottom and it works great.
Print_This
Printmaster!

Post by Print_This »

travelphotog wrote:I have been printing a ton of the white and black PLA at the following settings and been very happy with it. .15-.2 layers, 60-75 speed, 215 head, 60 bed, full fan, 4.5mm retracts .4 nozzle on a E3d V6 head 3 perimeters 4 layers top and bottom. I have done a number of 56+ hour prints ( Really BIG prints ) and had no issues so far. I use purple glue stick on the bottom and it works great.
ye i found a little faster print speed works better for me, i was getting allot of stringing till i raised my z lift to 3 and faster non extruding movement.
i mostly print at .25 and i was running about 195-200 with my 40w heater cartridge hot end.

id like to run a 20+ print next as well to see how it holds up, so far i have had the great results in the ultimachine pla so i hope this can work for me since its local to buy.

thanks for sharing
--------------
If you survive chicago winters you can survive 3d printing!

Return to “Filament”