TV's as a source for ABS filament **Works**

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Flateric
Printmaster!

TV's as a source for ABS filament **Works**

Post by Flateric »

Well Here is my update on a little (bigish) project I have been silently tolling away at for some time now. With great success at this point so I figured it was time to share and spill the beans and supply a thread for questions and such.

** Summed up description **

Big screen TV's that are commonly discarded, usually for free are very commonly made of high quality ABS grey and black plastic. This is especially true of big name TV's such as Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc. This plastic is recovered by disassembling the TV and slicing it into managable portions with a bandsaw. These bits are fed into a plastic shredder (filamaker in my particular example) and the plastic is cycled through the shredder a number of times until sub 6mm bits are resulting. These bits are then fed into a filament extruder (Filastruder in my particular case) and the result is very nice high quality black or grey ABS filament (1.75mm for me) that prints just as nicely as the majority of quality filament that can be purchased online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzA4tgpsEHY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will edit and update with more photos and video throughout the day.
photo 4.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Final_Shred
Final_Shred
topview
topview
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
DavidF
Printmaster!

Re: TV's as a source for ABS filament **Works**

Post by DavidF »

Ok I gotta have one of those shreaders!! Where do they come from, or do I have to make it? Just the shreader part, not tthe gear reducer and motors, I have them all ready...

Edit: found them, pricey!
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

DavidF wrote:Ok I gotta have one of those shreaders!! Where do they come from, or do I have to make it? Just the shreader part, not tthe gear reducer and motors, I have them all ready...

Marcus Thymark makes them, and yeah they're not cheap. Machining tool steel in low volume isn't gonna be free.

flateric, great work. Do you have any data on the diameter tolerance?
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

Can I just use my wood chipper instead of the expensive shredder?
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

elmoret wrote:
DavidF wrote:Ok I gotta have one of those shreaders!! Where do they come from, or do I have to make it? Just the shreader part, not tthe gear reducer and motors, I have them all ready...

Marcus Thymark makes them, and yeah they're not cheap. Machining tool steel in low volume isn't gonna be free.

flateric, great work. Do you have any data on the diameter tolerance?
My diameter tolerances have hovered right in the sweet spot range of 173mm-176mm. The diameter is greatly affected by the tempurature of the extrusion of filament and the speed of that extrusion. But it was not terribly fiddly to get setup correctly.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

Brian wrote:Can I just use my wood chipper instead of the expensive shredder?
I have tried this and it is not going to work for you I am afraid. You'll see in some upcoming video's I will post that the feed rate has to be kept slow, steady and very strong in order to prevent the heating of the plastic during the shredding.

I tried a wood chipper initially with terrible results and a chipper full of melted plastic. The bits coming out of the chipper were hot and not at all of a useable size either. Also the chipper added obviously another heat cycle to the process. So even if you could use the resulting chips from it (which I assure you is not possible) they will have been heated and cooled that one more additional time which contributes to poor quality filament and prints when it is heated yet again during the print. The fewer times you heat the ABS the better your resulting product in the end.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

My motor in the pictures is rated at 2 hp, 3450 RPM 100% duty cycle. It is off of a campbell hausfeld air compress I was not using.

The speed reducer is a 30 to 1 ratio although I have tried a 40 to 1 ratio and it also worked well. The pulleys allow for enough speed adjustment and work well in the range needed. For small pre-chipped bits a 1 to 1 pulley ratio is very quick and works well. I will have to measure the pulley sizes pictured. They are setup in the pictures for power and torque and doing the initial breakdown of the bandsaw cut pieces. With this setup, there really is not much that will be able to bind the shredder up and bog it. If you put something in, it's going to come out shredded pretty much.

I strongly recommend doing the speed reducer setup pictured. I tried doing a chain and sprocket drive with a quadruple reducer also through chain and sproket. This worked well but allowed the shredder to kick back and buck which did break a shaft on me. The side loading of the sproket and chain for drive also put terrible strain on the whole mechanial setup.

The speed reducer only does twisting of course and does not sideload any shafts. Also much quieter and smoother.

The Filamaker is a pricey unit, but it is very well made, I also believe that they are being shipped in a stainless steel version by default now for all it's main components. It's a tough and reliable unit, I have run mine for literally 30 hours in the configuration pictured with zero failures and no real sign of wear. It seems expensive, but you will be very hard pressed to make a similar unit that is this robust from scratch. The time it would take makes this a very good choice. You can also by a screen that fits to the bottom of it that prevents any bit larger than the screen size from going through. They are recycled and re-shredded until they fit through the screen. Very handy, I current re-feed my whole batch through a few times, works, but the screen would be much nicer.
Generic Default
Printmaster!

Post by Generic Default »

This is the first example I've seen of recycling plastic by shredding and then re-extruding into filament. Looks really cool! TV's are a good example of this, but when you think about it, so many appliances have large injection molded parts on them. And since every other 1st world citizen buys large plastic framed appliances every few years, there is plenty of stuff to be recycled!

Since you have a filastruder, try extruding glass filled nylon or polyphthalamide. Nobody has done it yet (or tried). You can buy it on ebay or just grind up a broken leaf-blower blow tube.
Check out the Tri hotend!
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

Would this be the same plastic that the trays you get your plants come on from garden centers?

This is my next test here coming up as my mother has stacks and stacks of them and they seem to be nice fresh plastic.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Usually plaatics have a stamp on them indicating what they are.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
fas83
Plasticator

Post by fas83 »

hi all
printer 's as a source for ABS shredded TOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d24OmPvHhkw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if you need some info contact me at [email protected] ;)

fas83

Return to “Filament”