What nozzle to use?

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Twac1
Printmaster!

What nozzle to use?

Post by Twac1 »

So in matter control I'm trying to figure out how it knows the size of your nozzle? I have a .25,.5,.75and a stainless .25. What applications are best for those sizes?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: What nozzle to use?

Post by IMBoring25 »

MC doesn't know. You have to tell it in the settings.

Nozzles in the .4-.5mm range are generally considered good general-purpose nozzles. Smaller nozzles are used for parts with critical intricate details such as sharp corners or extremely thin walls. Larger ones are used to enable wider extrusion and taller layers for faster (but lower-quality) prints. Stainless is used to reduce contamination of the printed object or reduce nozzle wear when using abrasive filaments.
Twac1
Printmaster!

Post by Twac1 »

Do you know where in the settings? Thanks for all the other info?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Settings, printer, extruder, nozzle diameter. you may also have to go to filament, extrusion, extrusion width to adjust the support and first layer widths for good results.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

is there a downside to using hardened/stainless nozzles on regular pla/abs?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Qdeathstar wrote:is there a downside to using hardened/stainless nozzles on regular pla/abs?
Just cost.
Technically they don't conduct heat as well as the Brass Nozzles, but I very much doubt that makes any measurable difference.
Be warned though, small nozzles can be very frustrating to print with especially if you don't have printing experience.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Polygonhell wrote:
Qdeathstar wrote:is there a downside to using hardened/stainless nozzles on regular pla/abs?
Just cost.
Technically they don't conduct heat as well as the Brass Nozzles, but I very much doubt that makes any measurable difference.
Be warned though, small nozzles can be very frustrating to print with especially if you don't have printing experience.
I've noticed it makes my prints want ~3C more heat for the same print speed, but beyond that, no real issues. I use a hardened steel .4 all the time, rather than deal with brass.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

If I must be honest, .4mm for everything. I've a .25 and a .35 practically new. The need much slower speeds and very few times found need to use them.
HS nozzles... never tried them, I might buy a .4 one of these days. I think that over time, the tip of the brass one widens a bit. It happened with my first E3D hotend after using it constantly for more than 2 years. Never printed carbon filled filament or any abrasive filament though.
So, thanks for the tips, I was reluctant to buy a HS nozzle.
Martín S.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

One day i'll try a .25 nozzle, but right now im switching from the stock hot end to the v6 w/ a hardened nozzle... Knowing what i know now, i probably would have gotten a prometheus, but i already got the V6... I do plan to some some iron fill/copper fill print :D

But, honestly, i find the activity of changing nozzles to be rather tedious. I think that the accerlation probe, if it works as advertized might make that easier.

Return to “Filament”