ABS-M30 stratasys through E3dv6?

Discuss filament successes and failures!
thegeewz
Plasticator

ABS-M30 stratasys through E3dv6?

Post by thegeewz »

Have any of you guys experimented with statasys ABS-m30 or m30i?

Ah, the benefits of running the engineering R&D dept! I have been given some of this stuff to play with, and am looking for a starting point to start experimenting, or somebody to waive me off it. Any advise?

Rostock Max v.2 e3dv6- stock buildplate.

I am planning on treating it as a stubborn ABS and go from there. I cant get the company to spring for their own printer, but I may be able to secure some VERY lucrative orders if I can squirt this stuff.

I have access to a whole multicolored galaxy of metals, plastics, and composites to experiment with. Can anybody with a fancy stratasys printer say what base material it sticks to and what temps they shoot it at?

Datasheet says glass transition at 226. Guessing from the way we roll, I'm going to try and push some through at 250 and jog it down from there. What say you? Has anybody burned their house down or something with this stuff, or found some juicy wisdom to share?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: ABS-M30 stratasys through E3dv6?

Post by Xenocrates »

I can't tell you what the operating temps for the nozzle are right now. I do know they use textured plastic plates, an unheated bed, and a chamber at ~90 degrees C. I'll see if the other folks in the lab here on campus know anything better. Is there any specific properties you want out of the Stratsys stuff though, over regular ABS, or engineering materials such as N-vent, Nylon 910, XT-20, or PETG?
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
thegeewz
Plasticator

Post by thegeewz »

I have a few aerospace clients that specifically call out ultem-9085, nylon something or other, and ABS-m30 on their drawings. It seems to be mostly the parts we used to machine from delrin- pads and covers and such. I'm just guessing here, but I expect the desirable properties have something to do with a combination of heat dissipation, thermal expansion and weight.

I am interested in the Statasys stuff because I was just given a crapload of it in various spool lengths and sizes. The print house we use just throws the stuff away if the spool (cartridge?) is half gone and they are starting a new order. I've brought them so much business they just hooked me up.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Nylon-12?

Please keep us up to date, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the differences of the materials.
*not actually a robot

Return to “Filament”