High strength filament recommendations?

Discuss filament successes and failures!
thingismith
Printmaster!

High strength filament recommendations?

Post by thingismith »

Hi friends! I want to print large-ish water fixture (at room temperature, no cooking involved), and trying to decide what kind of filament to get. It needs to be durable with minimal flexibility, not prone to warp (print or post-print) or stringing. I have an e3d v6, so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue, and a filament dehydrator, so hydrophilic is okay, as long as it doesn't warp after printing and soaking it.

For nylons I've only printed with Taulman Bridge, with varying results. It always wants to warp slightly at the base edges, and the stringing drives me nuts because I want smooth surfaces. I was thinking of trying alloy 910, guidel!ne, tglase, maybe blueprint, but I'd like to hear recommendations before buying. I'm not afraid to try something outside taulman, it's just what I'm familiar with.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Re: High strength filament recommendations?

Post by pouncingiguana »

I've had really good luck printing high strength parts out of Atomic's Carbon Fiber PETG (https://www.seemecnc.com/products/1-75m ... -1kg-spool). Lots easier to print than nylon, great layer adhesion, and insane strength. Just make sure you get your temp up to 250 to print it.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Atomics carbon fiber petg is what I would recommend also.
You should use a steel nozzle, it is abrasive and will wear out a brass nozzle quickly.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

It's not that abrasive. We've run over 4Kg through a .4 brass nozzle without any noticeable wear. Atomic uses carbon powder instead of strands, which cuts way down on wear. At beefier nozzle isn't going to hurt anything, but we haven't managed to wear one out yet with that filament.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

There's also the option of annealed PLA.
thingismith
Printmaster!

Post by thingismith »

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I just got the spool and hardened steel nozzles and am ready to print.

What kind of settings do you use, are they the same as regular PETG? All I can find on the web is heat recommendations, nothing about speed or retraction settings. Do you use cooling fans? I use Simply3d.

Should I worry about the humidity? I've never worked with PETG at all before.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

bvandiepenbos wrote:Atomics carbon fiber petg is what I would recommend also.
You should use a steel nozzle, it is abrasive and will wear out a brass nozzle quickly.
Would you advise hardened steel or stainless steel (which is also very wear resistent probably?)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Unless you need food safety, use the hardened steel. It has a better heat transfer coefficient (typically, there are so many kinds of steel that I could find you a hardened one with a worse one than a stainless, but E3D wouldn't have done that), and it is more wear resistant and cheaper.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Xenocrates wrote:Unless you need food safety, use the hardened steel. It has a better heat transfer coefficient (typically, there are so many kinds of steel that I could find you a hardened one with a worse one than a stainless, but E3D wouldn't have done that), and it is more wear resistant and cheaper.
Price when sourced locally (for me) is about equal. Thanks for the advise, I will get a hardened steel one then. I have a spool of Octofiber Carbon waiting for it.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
CreatorGirl13
Noob

Post by CreatorGirl13 »

there's currently high demand for high-temp thermoplastics for businesses and manufactures..maybe this can help you :mrgreen: 8-)

https://visionminer.com/blogs/news/hi-t ... ufacturing

Return to “Filament”