Mattercontrol doesn't slice my bracelet correctly

windex42
Plasticator

Mattercontrol doesn't slice my bracelet correctly

Post by windex42 »

My first project for my rostock max v2 was going to be making this bracelet: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I open it up in MatterControll, the 3d view looks perfect
when I choose layer view, and generate, it appears to just show the skirt, but not the bracelet itself
If I change the slicer to slic3r, it moves the bracelet off the printbed.

I suspect that my slices look bad because the walls of the bracelet are so thin, it's meant to print just a single line thckness all the way around.
Does anyone have any ideas why I cannot slice this bracelet?
I've uploaded an image of my Mattercontrol results: [img]http://i.imgur.com/YTC2oeP.jpg[/img]
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: Mattercontrol doesn't slice my bracelet correctly

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Your 3d view doesn't look good. The way to print bracelets (vases too) is to model them in this fashion: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:293413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then when you go to slice the object, you print 0 bottom and top layers, and 0 infill. Then you can specify as many walls as you want (i.e., just 1).
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
windex42
Plasticator

Post by windex42 »

Hi Ben, thanks for the quick reply.
You're totally right, I see that even the bracelet I picked has the alternate design, and it looks like it will print fine with your recommendations

I've got two followup questions, maybe you can help.

1. I have the outer surface perimeter count set to 1 as recommended. The layers it renders look kind of thick/wide, like it's extruding a thick noodle. Is the thickness exaggerated, or is that how it will print? Is that determined by my .5mm nozzle?

2. Why won't my original bracelet work? I'd like to know what's wrong with it so I can design accordingly.

THANKS AGAIN for the tips, things are looking up.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

1. I'm not sure... it's probably exaggerated? I can't say I ever noticed that before. Path thickness is determined by a few factors - nozzle size is one, you also have filament flow multiplier, first layer thickness multiplier, and possibly filament width? My advice would be to just see how it prints and if you think it's too thick, tweak something.

2. I think your original design's walls were too thin. In general, if a slicer determines that your nozzle is too big to print a particular feature accurately, it will just remove the feature. In your case, that was your whole model. If you modeled it with 1mm thick walls, you might've gotten at least something, but that something still wouldn't have gotten the same result as using the actual bracelet/vase technique above.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
MrJoe
Printmaster!

Post by MrJoe »

To determine if it is a wall thickness problem maybe you can scale the part up to 2X and slice it to see if it slices properly. It won't produce a wearable bracelet but might satisfy your curiosity.
windex42
Plasticator

Post by windex42 »

Thanks,
So far, the advice is rock solid. I'm having some trouble with my Rambo firmware, but once that's settled, I hope to try what you suggested
windex42
Plasticator

Post by windex42 »

Ben, your advice worked out great. I printed out the bracelet with no trouble. Thanks!

Return to “MatterControl”