MatterControl requiring reconnection

JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

MatterControl requiring reconnection

Post by JohnnyDude »

I've got a Rostock MAX v2, working great so far. MatterControl's been working fine for the most part too.

Within MatterControl, at various times, I am required to disconnect and reconnect to my printer. To clarify, I have to click the "Disconnect" and "Connect" button at the upper left of the screen. I don't have a firm understanding or when or why it occurs. Some clues are:
  • I see this issue most often during my preparation towards starting a print. Specifically, I manually preheat my printer (nozzle and bed), wait a while for the hot end to heat up, and then I intend to extrude about 30mm of filament manually. However, when I click the E+ or E- buttons for manual extrusion, nothing happens. After this, I disconnect and reconnect, and then I'm mysteriously able to extrude.
  • I definitely remember a case in which I set the nozzle and heatbed temperatures, and MatterControl claimed to have the target set appropriately. However, the LCD on the printer told me otherwise (target temperatures were both at 0). I tried other temperatures from MatterControl, but no changes occurred on the printer. After disconnecting and reconnecting, the problem went away.
  • I do not have any disconnection problems during prints (and I'm not touching any controls at this point either).
  • I vaguely remember having similar troubles with manual movement operations too. I could not move the print head unless I disconnected and reconnected.
Has anyone else seen problems like these?
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: MatterControl requiring reconnection

Post by BenTheRighteous »

That usually happens when I either:
  • Power cycle the printer using the power switch
  • Click the manual control buttons too fast (for example, clicking the extrude button twice in a row, so it tries to start a second extrude before the first one has finished)
I definitely get the feeling that this is all built on a house of cards - unless you touch things exactly the right way, it will all fall apart. I don't mind; considering that this is all open-source stuff and most of this is people working on it in their spare time, I'm quite happy that it works this well to begin with!
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

I get the same. For me the easiest way to reproduce it is to hit the extrude button (10mm) a few times - and then she just locks up. Rebooting the printer when connected often leaves the temperature control in some limbo, usually cleaned up by rebooting the printer again but sometimes a disconnect/reconnect works.

Hint: it happens with Repetier Host and Cura, too.

I suspect the Repetier firmware is getting its knickers in a twist in some circumstances and ignoring input on the USB connection.
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

I've had temperature control issues with my Afinia when using the PRINT AGAIN function. Occasionally the reported nozzle temperature just goes crazy (I do not believe 380C a minute or so after reporting 200C). I found using the INITIALIZE function before starting every print seems to prevent the crazy temperatures. So...are all these guys using the same PID code which obviously has a bug in it?
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

Post by JohnnyDude »

Okay, sounds like the oddities are normal. This gives me peace of mind! Overall I really like MatterControl. I'm going to be sad to lose some of the features when I start relying on OctoPi again.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “MatterControl”