Chromebook?

ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Chromebook?

Post by ZakRabbit »

At work, I have a Windows machine, but at home all I have is a chromebook. I've got debian on it but I'm a complete newb with any Linux distro and how to install stuff on it. I've downloaded Matter Control and was able to extract the files, but I can't seem to get it actually installed. Has anyone else tried this? I do have an older laptop here running Windows XP, but I'd like to broaden my horizons a little.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Chromebook?

Post by geneb »

If memory serves, Chromebooks run Chrome OS. I have no idea if the Linux version of MatterControl will work. You might want to contact the guys at MatterHackers and see what they say.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

I've installed a distro of Linux on it.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

It looks like it's an archive within an archive, extract them both and run the shell script or just install the deb file. I think the syntax is dpkg -i whatever.deb
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

Thanks for the help guys. I found a step-by-step on installing Ubuntu onto the HP Chromebook 14, then used the readme.txt to install the Mono and Matter Control. It appears I need to have a printer connected to do any actual slicing and such.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

You don't need to have a printer connected, you just have to have one configured. It asks for connection details and such, but if you have no interest in ever actually connecting, the settings won't matter.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

I do hope to have one connected soon... my Trick Laser parts are due to ship early next week. I am just hoping to "play" and get used to slicing and such while I'm building the printer itself.
dajay23D
Printmaster!

Post by dajay23D »

funny, i'm in the smae boat! So how's the chromebook working out for ya? I was thinking of just getting a $500 range laptop to use on my 3d printer. I have 2 old xp computers, but they're 8 years old, so not sure if it's worth it for me to mess around w/ those.
ZakRabbit
Printmaster!

Post by ZakRabbit »

dajay23D wrote:funny, i'm in the smae boat! So how's the chromebook working out for ya? I was thinking of just getting a $500 range laptop to use on my 3d printer. I have 2 old xp computers, but they're 8 years old, so not sure if it's worth it for me to mess around w/ those.
I wound up installing an Ubuntu chroot on it and actually got Mattercontrol installed. I've even tested my smoothie with it and got it to connect. I'm waiting on funding so I can make my bed mount (12" X 12.125" X 1.00" mat'l). I'm pretty excited to get going on it.

Return to “MatterControl”