Ver 1.2.2

KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Ver 1.2.2

Post by KAS »

I'm slightly annoyed with the UI changes. I wish the controls were persistent throughout the tabs.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Ver 1.2.2

Post by Captain Starfish »

Haven't jumped yet, will soon on the dev release train.

I was sad when they removed the "see everything at once" view on a maximised window.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I just upgraded and yeah, that's damn annoying.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Every time they came out with a new update, I would check it out and get annoyed by some change they made. And my biggest peeve is its need to be connected to a printer. Kinda sucks to be printing from the sd card, shut down MC and have it spazz your computer. Perhaps that is fixed now, but I'll stick with Repetier for now. Mattercontrol still seems to be maturing.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

I noticed the same issue requiring a connection, you can not even edit the Macro's offline.

More annoying is even when you are connected the Macro list does not adjust to your screen width. I use it on a laptop with 14" touch screen and have 6 Macros, the last two I can not see at all.
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
teri1337
Prints-a-lot

Post by teri1337 »

I'm still using MatterControl version 1.2 on Windows 7, and it does not require me to be connected to a printer in order to load the queue or save/edit to an SDcard. Am I to understand that this changed in version 1.2.2, and that the newer version now requires it? And in addition the multi-view full-screen mode is now missing? If so, I don't think I'll be upgrading, period!

My only issue with version 1.2 is the missing filter checkbox in the terminal window, which makes PID calculation difficult.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Atleast I know I'm not the only one now. I would open MatterControl to start the nozzle/bed preheat and extrude a bit of filament. Export to the gcode to the SD card on the computer then physically transfer the SD card to the printer to start the print.

Since MatterControl is still connected, even if you start the print from the on-board SD card, it will halt the current print when you close the program. This has bitten me a few times, I now pre-heat everything from the LCD and just use the SD card. I like to be able to watch the temps and terminal for geewiz things but once you close the program, all hell happens.

I'm new to this 3D printing world, guess I should be more prepared for these types of changes. I'm thinking of giving Simplify3D a try but that's a heck of a commitment without a trial. I've tried Cura, Kiss, Repetier, and Matter and they all seem to have little quarks that really test my understanding for setting them up properly.
Tonkabot
Printmaster!

Post by Tonkabot »

briankb wrote:I noticed the same issue requiring a connection, you can not even edit the Macro's offline.

More annoying is even when you are connected the Macro list does not adjust to your screen width. I use it on a laptop with 14" touch screen and have 6 Macros, the last two I can not see at all.
With the macros I just changed the names of them to things like X Y Z X' Y' Z' Center and then there is a lot more room for the buttons.
Tonkabot
Printmaster!

Post by Tonkabot »

teri1337 wrote:I'm still using MatterControl version 1.2 on Windows 7, and it does not require me to be connected to a printer in order to load the queue or save/edit to an SDcard. Am I to understand that this changed in version 1.2.2, and that the newer version now requires it? And in addition the multi-view full-screen mode is now missing? If so, I don't think I'll be upgrading, period!

My only issue with version 1.2 is the missing filter checkbox in the terminal window, which makes PID calculation difficult.

The filterbox was supposedly fixed in 1.2.1 [ I didn't notice], but in 1.2.2 it is fixed for sure.

They did fix the UI so if I go to some directory to get my .stl, the next time I try to load a file it stays in my new directory by default [BIG WIN]. Although it would be nice if that directory persisted when I close the program.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

teri1337 wrote:I'm still using MatterControl version 1.2 on Windows 7, and it does not require me to be connected to a printer in order to load the queue or save/edit to an SDcard. Am I to understand that this changed in version 1.2.2, and that the newer version now requires it? And in addition the multi-view full-screen mode is now missing? If so, I don't think I'll be upgrading, period!

If this helps you at all with the UI changes. The majority of the screen is now the 3D model. The link "Advanced controls" is where you will find the settings, controls, and configuration. all those sections stay on that side of the screen with the 3d model persistent on the right side.
Mattercontrol_122.png
Mattercontrol_122a.png
Tonkabot
Printmaster!

Post by Tonkabot »

KAS wrote:

If this helps you at all with the UI changes. The majority of the screen is now the 3D model. The link "Advanced controls" is where you will find the settings, controls, and configuration. all those sections stay on that side of the screen with the 3d model persistent on the right side.
The changes didn't bother me much. Having a print queue taking up 1/3 of the screen seemed silly. However, sometimes change for no particular reason is very bad, Take the windows control panel for example. Stuff is called something else, and looks completely different from one version to the next. Those changes are evil, every new version of windows is completely different, making it hard to find sh!t.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Tonkabot wrote: The changes didn't bother me much. Having a print queue taking up 1/3 of the screen seemed silly. However, sometimes change for no particular reason is very bad, Take the windows control panel for example. Stuff is called something else, and looks completely different from one version to the next. Those changes are evil, every new version of windows is completely different, making it hard to find sh!t.

You're absolutely right regarding the changes. I believe they are going for that minimalist approach and it's working for the most part. It's just frustrating for newbie's like myself that needs a little hand holding through the learning curve. I get a little frustrated when they don't take the time to update change logs or update screenshots to match the new interface. For example the front page of mattercontrol.com still shows 1.1, it's a tad bit different now.

I wont gripe to much, they're offering a great program for free. So far, I've had the best luck with using it over a few others. But, I'll give that credit to SeeMeCNC because they included MatterControl in the instructions.
noishi
Prints-a-lot

Post by noishi »

I'm having issues getting multiple parts combined into a single print. The "Add" button has become "Insert" in the update but the "insert" button doesn't do anything when I click it. Is anyone else having this issue?
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I'm noticing that its taking a while for MC to pickup the temperatures from the printer. Watching the terminal MC send M105 instantly before making the connection then about 45 seconds later when you set the connection to manual.

When it's set to auto, MC sends the M105 about 3 seconds after the connection is made.

Return to “MatterControl”