Why isn't horizontal radius calibrated this way?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
bob64
Printmaster!

Why isn't horizontal radius calibrated this way?

Post by bob64 »

Step 1) Make all corner axis's the same height by calibrating with the end stops.
Step 2) Calibrate z-height at center. so z=0 is calibrated at center with the paper between the glass and nozzle.
Step 3) Check height at one of the axis. If it's too high and you need to lower the nozzle, decrease horizontal radius. If it's pinching the paper and you need to raise the nozzle, increase the horizontal radius.
Step 4) Recheck that same axis until it's the same height as the center. Increasing/decreasing horizontal radius as needed. Re-run the same axis script after each radius change. Repeat this step until the pressure is exactly the same as the center.
Step 5) Make the other axis's match.
Step 6) recheck center. Repeat from step 2 if needed.

Reasoning: Horizontal radius only changes the height as it moves away from the center.... so there's no point in making the center hit 0 by adjusting all 3 endstops. Am I thinking this through or is there something i'm overlooking?
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Why isn't horizontal radius calibrated this way?

Post by Xenocrates »

I'm fairly certain that the reason the endstops are tweaked at all is to compensate for the arms, and for the geometry, and that horizontal radius is tuned somewhat the way you describe. (Although you tune for the smallest offset, and then make the other endstop asjustments, rather than picking a random axis) It wouldn't change your effective H-radius to make the printer think an arm is slightly higher/lower, that would only affect the centering of the printer, and not the concavity of the geometry (It does allow you to even things out before you adjust H-radius, as if you just tweak one end stop to match, it should throw the others off)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

Bob64, I do things exactly the way you describe, it's the fastest way to get the delta radius that I've found. I can normally get it within 0.1mm in 5 minutes or so.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

That's how I do it too. Make it level first, set your center height perfectly, and then make everything else match last.
bob64
Printmaster!

Post by bob64 »

Uh, why doesn't the assembly guide do it this way?
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

History, which repeats itself.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

bob64 wrote:Uh, why doesn't the assembly guide do it this way?
The manual probably has you set the center point first so that you don't crash the machine too badly if you don't know what you're doing yet.
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

The most common way of doing this that I've found is:
  1. * Calibrate endstops so that nozzle is at 0 when brushing a piece of paper near all three towers
    * See how far off the nozzle is when at the centre
    * Adjust delta radius
    * Go to step 1.
The problem with this is that you have to calibrate the end stops every time you adjust delta radius, which is inefficient.

The much quicker way is to get your end stops calibrated enough so that they are horizontal, then give them an offset so that the nozzle is at 0 when in the centre, and then iterate over the delta radius while testing the nozzle near the edge. It's basic troubleshooting -- isolate your variables.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

nebbian wrote:The problem with this is that you have to calibrate the end stops every time you adjust delta radius, which is inefficient.
That probably indicates some other problem then. Changing the radius will move the perimeter points equally. Level the machine first, and you shouldn't have to touch the adjustment screws again.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'm really hoping the new hot end with the accelerometer board will make the whole manual calibration thing a moot point.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

geneb wrote:I'm really hoping the new hot end with the accelerometer board will make the whole manual calibration thing a moot point.

g.
in my case I would use the word praying than hoping :D

as an insider Gene do you get the new hardware for things like this several weeks before release so you can write the manual revisions before it ships to the great unwashed multitude?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Duet with FSRs make the whole manual calibration thing a moot point! It takes more than just the probing system, the calibration code also needs to perform fast and well. To date, RRF is the only firmware I've found that calibrates accurately in less than 30 seconds - including probe time. An accelerometer probe is icing on the cake.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I think Gene gets it a week or so before they start going in kits, dependent on stock on hand (Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter), but that on occasions it's been released as a retrofit part very soon after Gene gets it. (And he sometimes just finds stuff on his doorstep with minimal warning), given his past griping about some of it.

Somehow though, I've been very lucky on the calibration front. It produces good parts, and I haven't needed to re-calibrate in months, despite many, many hardware changes (I didn't even have to re-tension the belts at the tops of the towers when I did the new carriages, I just pulled the belt to approximate tension and clamped it). Just reset the Z-height, and sometimes PID, and I'm good to go. Which is really amazing considering it's in an unheated, uncontrolled shop. Not that I know how I managed that at all, and I'm really hoping any future printers go half as smoothly. (I'm going with beginners luck and a fluke personally)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Xenocrates wrote:I think Gene gets it a week or so before they start going in kits
If he's lucky :)
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

geneb wrote:I'm really hoping the new hot end with the accelerometer board will make the whole manual calibration thing a moot point.

g.
I enjoy these conversations resurfacing every couple months... auto calibration will make these forums boring.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The earliest I'll see one is at MRRF.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

mhackney wrote:Duet with FSRs make the whole manual calibration thing a moot point! It takes more than just the probing system, the calibration code also needs to perform fast and well. To date, RRF is the only firmware I've found that calibrates accurately in less than 30 seconds - including probe time. An accelerometer probe is icing on the cake.
My wish list includes the duet and the DC firmware as well as the 7" screen etc but as I read about the nest version of the duet due in a few months I thought I would struggle on so I could do a one stop rebuild this summer as a birthday gift to my self
Today I had one of my endstop screws work itself out while printing.... strangely that print finished ok but the next one to put it mildly did not.... I never heard the screw fall out so I never thought to look before I started the next print.

if frustration continues i may just go with your fsr fix and push up the whole project and not wait for the rumored new version of the duet (this is not my first hassle with the endstops)
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Any idea what the rumored "New Duet" is in reality??
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

It's likely this...
2016-01-25 16.52.02.jpg
Basically a RAMBo with an ARM chip...
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Looks like Johnny's design work. Same connectors as the other Rambo's, etc. Very nice. Ethernet and SD are interesting. I like the automotive fuse holders, too. Looks like different silicon for the stepper drivers...

Which board is that, actually?

*edit* Now I can see that it says Ultimachine on it... Are you testing the new Rambo?
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Windshadow wrote:Today I had one of my endstop screws work itself out while printing.... strangely that print finished ok but the next one to put it mildly did not....
That makes completely sense, because endstop screws are only used while homing.... when your next print starts... ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

Yes, we got one for testing. I don't know what the name is. I've seen "Archim" - which is printed on the board - but it's unclear what the actual name will be.

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

Also, there isn't ethernet on this unit, and the drivers are DRV8825

HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

mhackney wrote:Duet with FSRs make the whole manual calibration thing a moot point! It takes more than just the probing system, the calibration code also needs to perform fast and well. To date, RRF is the only firmware I've found that calibrates accurately in less than 30 seconds - including probe time. An accelerometer probe is icing on the cake.
Is there a place in this forum that describes how to implement what you've described here?
I've had FSRs installed for months, to try using them with OpenDACT, but firing them never affected the nozzle movement, which just kept crashing into the bed. I'd hate to have to buy and install a new board with my RAMBo still functional, but also hate the FSRs being useless - anything to have reliable printing without turning any GD screws or removing the nozzle to attach a probe....

BTW, I came here looking for info on any EEPROM/Firmware adjustments needed for having installed the 325mm Trick laser rods - all I did so far was change Diagonal Rod Length from 269 to 325. Anyone know?

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”