Is there a Rostock Max V3 on the Horizon?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Is there a Rostock Max V3 on the Horizon?

Post by EL Cuajinais »

I’ve read of some common upgrades here on the forum. Any chance these will get rolled into a V3 version of the Rostock Max anytime soon?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Is there a Rostock Max V3 on the Horizon?

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I'd bet that we're stable with the V2 for a while longer. The original model was stable for 2+ years before it was changed. Plus, a lot of the upgrades that folks do would effect the price point that the V2 hits so well.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Would like to see "Rostock Pro v1" all metal kit with the typical upgrades people already pay extra for.
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

Post by PeteD »

KAS wrote:Would like to see "Rostock Pro v1" all metal kit with the typical upgrades people already pay extra for.
What upgrades are people typically paying for? The only one I'm aware of is additional height.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

TrickLaser arms, TrickTrucks, something from E3D (V6 or Legends pack), slightly beefier PSU, Smoothie based board (?), those are the main ones.
PeteD
Prints-a-lot

Post by PeteD »

Nylocke wrote:TrickLaser arms, TrickTrucks, something from E3D (V6 or Legends pack), slightly beefier PSU, Smoothie based board (?), those are the main ones.
Thanks for answering my question. Why need a beefier PSU? How does the current one limit the machine?
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Not necessarily, but some people do 24V or a high performance one to get faster heat times for the bed.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Nylocke covered it all, something not arduino based and .9 degree 400 step, steppers :)
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Yesterday I had a long conversation with one of the directors of a company that makes high-end power conditioning gear (airports, TV studios, banks, etc.). I mentioned that one of my 3D printers came with a surplus HP computer power brick and the other came with a PC power supply. Gave him a good laugh. He said they sell a LOT of their gear to support gear that SHOULD have decent power supplies but doesn't. Air traffic control, giant printing presses, hospital lab gear, etc.

Anyway, the problem with PC power supplies is...they're a consumer PC power supply. They only work in computers since the computer rarely draws close to the label wattage plus pretty much every board in the computer has a sub-regulator since nobody uses the raw voltage if they can avoid it.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
craftymethod
Printmaster!

Post by craftymethod »

I'd like to see a unit with a wider build area, with an enclosure.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

An all-metal Rostock MAX is easy. Just grab the DXF files off github and take them to your local waterjet cutter. Just make sure you're sitting down when they quote you a price for the job. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

KAS wrote:Would like to see "Rostock Pro v1" all metal kit with the typical upgrades people already pay extra for.
That's crazy talk!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/YzAsc7c.png[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/13XFH4g.png[/img]
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Jimustanguitar wrote:
That's crazy talk!
I need more info...
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

dang Jim, you let the cat out of the bag.

I am building a simplified all aluminum Rostock MAX sized frame to be introduce at MRRF.
The "MAX METAL" frame by Trick Laser

It is the blank frame only, with the precision machine work done. Ends of frame side pieces are machined at a 30 degree angle with a key that fits into slot. Also dowel pin to locate.
The design self aligns perfectly spaced and square, Just bolt it together. Machined mounting holes for stepper motor and idlers will be included also.
(3) vertical 1" x 1" columns and (6) 1/2" x 2" frame sides make the whole frame... simple, strong and elegant.
I am using the same custom fixtures built for machining the NEMESIS Air Delta frames.

This makes a solid & true frame for you guys to build onto.
All the other little bits and pieces are up to you to design.
Actually many of the parts from a stock SeeMe Rostock MAX will work with this frame.

No price set yet, will be posted on http://www.TrickLaser.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

Boy am I glad I finally put my order in for a V2 yesterday. Otherwise this new frame might have made me hesitate a little. I'm glad to finally be all-in. At some point the research has to stop and you need to just jump in. The only upgrade I ordered were the motor dampers. Also got a .35mm nozzle since I'm interested in high resolution.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Honestly I'm looking forward to this.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

EL Cuajinais wrote:Boy am I glad I finally put my order in for a V2 yesterday. Otherwise this new frame might have made me hesitate a little. I'm glad to finally be all-in. At some point the research has to stop and you need to just jump in. The only upgrade I ordered were the motor dampers. Also got a .35mm nozzle since I'm interested in high resolution.
Welcome to the club! You'll enjoy your RMax, they're very nice machines.

The new aluminum frame is a little bit different animal than the full Rostock kit. It's probably better to start with a complete machine first, and do the mods, upgrades, and new builds second. You'd want a working printer to design your brackets and fixtures for the new model anyway.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

How are those brackets sized? Perhaps if they were sized correctly they could be used as extra bracing at the bottom and possibly top of the printer? The frame doesn't do much to ensure proper tower spacing as is..
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Nylocke wrote:How are those brackets sized? Perhaps if they were sized correctly they could be used as extra bracing at the bottom and possibly top of the printer? The frame doesn't do much to ensure proper tower spacing as is..
Now that's an idea! Maybe these could be sized to install inside of an existing Rostock... On the V2, you'd probably have to install the control board elsewhere, maybe bump the power supply over a bit... Sounds like something worth testing!
jram
Printmaster!

Post by jram »

Can't wait to see that metal frame! I'm coming from Minnesota for the MRRF(my wife is from Goshen so it's also a family trip.
Machines- Rostock Max v2 with E3D v6, Corsair 750 power supply, PEI bed,injection molded carriages and new arms. Aluminum mount. X carve with x controller. Stratasys Uprint SE
drunkenmugsy
Printmaster!

Post by drunkenmugsy »

The idea of braces sounds interesting to me too. I am putting the towers in today on my build so I will see how it goes. From my reading the forum though this seems to be a major issue of all of them being +/- 1/8 to 1/4 inch over the length of the tower.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

By design the "MAX METAL" frame in self aligning, true, square and sturdy on it's own, you don't need any brackets.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

geneb wrote:An all-metal Rostock MAX is easy. Just grab the DXF files off github and take them to your local waterjet cutter. Just make sure you're sitting down when they quote you a price for the job. :)

g.
$700 for the jetting, plus the material. I could buy a new Rostock by the time that was through. I'd rather have another melamine rostock.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Tinyhead wrote:
geneb wrote:An all-metal Rostock MAX is easy. Just grab the DXF files off github and take them to your local waterjet cutter. Just make sure you're sitting down when they quote you a price for the job. :)

g.
$700 for the jetting, plus the material. I could buy a new Rostock by the time that was through. I'd rather have another melamine rostock.
I agree, not worth the cost.
[email protected]
Printmaster!

Post by [email protected] »

I will buy one.
Max 2
xyz DaVinci 1.0 with custom FW for Repetier-Host
Future plans
NextEngine scanner
Droplite or other SLA

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”