Rostock Max v2 got a number of issues right now...trying to print face masks to help healthcare. Fast reply appreciated

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
esbowman
Printmaster!

Rostock Max v2 got a number of issues right now...trying to print face masks to help healthcare. Fast reply appreciated

Post by esbowman »

Hey there.

So, I've been printing face mask shields for the St Louis area to help healthcare workers during the coronavirus situation.

It was all going well then one day the extruder would only reach about 154C with the bed at 55C. Not enough to print. The power supply was my first reaction after reading and googling a lot. I replaced that last night with the Seemecnc 12V 29A power supply upgrade kit. Everything went off without a hitch on that part. After that I did a PID Tune and it would constantly fail unless I had the max temp set to 200C or lower. So i ran it at 200. Now I'm sitting here, trying to print and it will barely reach 200C to begin a print.

So is the heater/resistors failing? Is it time to just buy a whole new hot-end? I'm looking at the e3d but I don't see the one I need in stock anywhere. I'd go for the HE280 but it's a bit pricey and I've heard mixed results with it to be honest.

Finally, my other issue is that the screw-in push fit connector that holds the PFTE tube into the EZstruder is failing. The tube is disconnecting from the metal fitting and I'm unable to print. I've trimmed the end of the tube and re-fit it, but it still pops off. Is there a fix for this other than taping it with duct tape or something?

Would appreciate some quick advice, so I can keep volunteering. Thank you!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock Max v2 got a number of issues right now...trying to print face masks to help healthcare. Fast reply apprecia

Post by geneb »

I wouldn't have replaced the power supply without making sure you're seeing less than 12v while it's heating both the bed and the hot end. :) (That being said, getting a beefier power supply is never a bad move.)

If you disconnect the power leads to the hot end from the RAMBo, you should read around 6.3 or 6.8 ohms (I don't recall which) if both of the heating resistors is ok.

I'm pretty sure that SeeMeCNC still has both replacement PTC fittings and resistors in stock. If the bowden won't stay in, that means the PTC has failed and should be replaced. Duct tape won't hack it for long, if at all. ;)

The HE280 is an excellent hot end - I've got two of them in service. The only complaints I've heard about them are from "my car has a blocked fuel line, so I replaced the engine to fix the problem" types. ;)

The HE280 WILL gain you fairly good automatic calibration. I say "fairly" because there's only so much math you can squeeze out of an 8 bit MCU and a limited amount of RAM. ;) It's orders of magnitude less hassle than the manual method though.

If you're in the mood for upgrades, you cannot beat a Duet Wifi board. You can match that with either the SE300 hotend & whip, or you can use a Duet Smart Effector, a 713 Maker adapter plate and an E3D v6 hot end.

For the shortest path to getting back on your feet though, I'd test the resistors - chances are pretty good that one has died after all this time. I did a video on how to replace the resistors & thermistor with a heater cartridge & a threaded thermistor. That video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvXKt3xDt4E (Holy crap! That was SIX years ago!) You can find the heater carts & thermistors on Amazon or eBay. I doubt the links in the video still work.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
esbowman
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock Max v2 got a number of issues right now...trying to print face masks to help healthcare. Fast reply apprecia

Post by esbowman »

Really appreciate your time Glen and I've seen your video, was actually just watching it. :)

I think that's my easiest and most economical path at this point. And you're right. The connector is failing, and duct tape didn't work at all. I managed to get this printing for a bit, till the PFTE tube came loose and I had to stop it all.

Regarding the power supply, my old one was creating all kinds of racket (fan mainly), and I figured it would be a worthwhile upgrade anyway.

I'll do what you suggested measuring the resistors and reply back. The links from your video still work btw, but I'd love for you to take a peek and confirm this is what I need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222900991161
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323173899716

They are sold by gulfcoast robotics now.
esbowman
Printmaster!

Post by esbowman »

Gene, I removed the power from the RAMBO to the thermistor and resistors. When I set my multimeter dial to 200 ohms, one of the resistors is reading 8.9 while the other is 9.0. I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to using the multimeter so let me know if I'm way off base here.

Also, I turned the machine on with the power off to the extruder, and heated up the thermistor by hand just to make sure it was working, and it definitely seems to be. The temp went up the moment I put some heat on it from my heat gun.

So, I'm not sure if these resistors are bad or not? I know you mentioned they should be 6.8 or something. I'd be happy to take the steps you mentioned in that video, but want to hear what your thoughts are first. I'm also assuming I only need the heater cartridge since the thermistor seems to be working.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Because the resistors are tied together, you're actually measuring both of them in parallel, which is ok.

I was wrong in the value I told you - 6.8 is the value of each resistor. In parallel they should read 3.4, so you've for sure got at least one dead resistor.

You can pull the resistors out of there and replace the two with a single cartridge, you don't need to use two.

The auctions you found appear to be the right parts.

If your thermistor is good, then there isn't any reason to replace it.

Good luck!

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
esbowman
Printmaster!

Post by esbowman »

For some reason I didn't get the forum post notification, but thank you for replying back.

I determined the same. Instead of repairing this old hot end though, I decided to just upgrade to an E3D v6. Once I took off the old hot end I noticed a few signs of wear and tear in a number of places and figured it was time to let it RIP. :)

Now I'm dialing in the e3D which is proving a pain, but slowly but surely I'm getting close. Thanks again!
awander
Prints-a-lot

Post by awander »

I'm in the exact same situation, printing face shields for first responders, and my hot end died, and I happen to have an E3D V5 here that I'm going to install.

Would you share your settings after you get yours dialed in?

I won;t be ready to print again for a couple of days, but having a good starting point would be great!

Andy
Andy Wander

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”