HE280 upgrade problems. Need help!

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Harblar
Printmaster!

HE280 upgrade problems. Need help!

Post by Harblar »

I know... shocking, right? :D

I just did the full upgrade (new carriages, ball arms, and preassembled hot end/whip) and I can't get anything to work. When I closed everything back up and turned the power on the printer booted up on the old firmware, but didn't home the towers. Trying to manually home the towers via the onboard display/knob has zero effect. I can't get the printer to move at all. On the old firmware both temp sensors worked and reported accurate values (15-16 degrees... my shop is colder than I would like atm). All 3 blue lights on the hot end are on and the peek fan is running.

I cleared the eeprom (had to use Aurdino IDE 1.6.1 since 1.6.0 wouldn't compile/upload on my system for some reason) made the necessary mods in the firmware (I tried both V2 and V3 as machine type in the firmware to no effect) and uploaded. With the new firmware both temps indicate def (I'm guessing for the low temps since they worked fine on the old firmware. They even blink the correct temps briefly when I power it on before showing def.) When I load up matter control none of the commands work in the terminal and I keep seeing the "Machine error: Printer set to dry run mode until restart" this usually follows a message about the temps not working. Could this be preventing the stepper motors from working?

Occasionally rebooting results in a garbled screen on the printer.

I followed this guide http://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Rostoc ... de/49#s402 to the letter to no avail.

I know the first suggestion I'm going to get is to check my wiring, and that is the first thing I will be doing in the morning, but for now let's just assume all the wires have been spliced correctly (I'm 99.9% sure they are), That would leave inconsistencies on the RAMBO board and it's associated pinouts.

I purchased my printer in the summer of 2014. Is it possible that, even though my wiring exactly matches the pictures in the guide, the pinouts on my RAMBO could be different and would require the wiring to be changed? I've seen some mentions of this being possible, but am unclear as to how to rectify this. Also saw mention that recently the blue wire on the whips hasn't been correct.

I'll confirm my wiring/splicing in the morning. Any other thoughts?
timskloss
Printmaster!

Re: HE280 upgrade problems. Need help!

Post by timskloss »

If nothing is working it could be a fuse on the Rambo. There is one large ATC fuse and two small fuses on the board.

Also, the motors won't move if the end stop switches are closed. Check the switches with an ohmmeter to confirm they are not closed.

Good luck
We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers...
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

With the new software your shop temp is too low. That is being reported by the machine and it will not work until you change somewhere in firmware that checks the temp value. IF it gets lower than X it will think the thermisters are not working and thus should not run. There are some threads in the fourms about it and how to fix it. So do a little searching. I do not remember the exact place to change in the firmware since I never had to do it.

Dale
Harblar
Printmaster!

Post by Harblar »

Checked all the wiring and it is 100%... assuming that this diagram is correct. https://d17kynu4zpq5hy.cloudfront.net/i ... qZBLO.huge
timskloss wrote:If nothing is working it could be a fuse on the Rambo. There is one large ATC fuse and two small fuses on the board.

Also, the motors won't move if the end stop switches are closed. Check the switches with an ohmmeter to confirm they are not closed.

Good luck
Fuses checked and swapped just to be sure. end stops checked and all appear to be fine. I tried with them plugged in and unplugged. no change
Dale Eason wrote:With the new software your shop temp is too low. That is being reported by the machine and it will not work until you change somewhere in firmware that checks the temp value. IF it gets lower than X it will think the thermisters are not working and thus should not run. There are some threads in the fourms about it and how to fix it. So do a little searching. I do not remember the exact place to change in the firmware since I never had to do it.

Dale
Found the setting to get this changed and the temps indeed did display correctly again. Also got rid of error message.

After all this, the Stepper motors still refuse to move. All 4 of them. The extruder will not turn at all when I manually engage it via mattercontrol. The 3 tower steppers won't engage at all when I home them and when I try the tower steppers I get a a red light on the rambo. LED5, just below the FAN1 Negative connector. Disabling the stepper motors via the onboard display or power cycling the machine gets rid of the light, but the second I try to move the steppers it comes on again. There is no associated error message in the terminal to indicate what the problem is.

I tried unplugging all the steppers and get the same result.

Thoughts? :?
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

A recent poster talked about his motors no longer working. Turned out the little Red Jumper on the power connector to the rambo board was loose and so the motors were not getting any power. Check that jumper.

Dale
Harblar
Printmaster!

Post by Harblar »

Dale Eason wrote:A recent poster talked about his motors no longer working. Turned out the little Red Jumper on the power connector to the rambo board was loose and so the motors were not getting any power. Check that jumper.

Dale
Ok... where, exactly, is this jumper? I've looked my board over top to bottom and can't find any jumpers, let alone a red jumper? And I don't see anything that could be defined as such on the power connector.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were something as simple as the motors not getting power, but I can't see where the power connection to them could possibly be interrupted atm.

Could you provide a picture of what I should be looking for, or at least a link to the other thread where this was discussed? I'd really appreciate it! :-)

Thanks!
Harblar
Printmaster!

Post by Harblar »

All right! I think I may have solved my problem!

Initially, the steppers weren't moving because of the min temp setting. In trouble shooting I replaced both of the micro fuses with new ones. Stupid me didn't run my tester across them first (Brand New Fuses should ALWAYS work, right?). While looking over my rig looking for anything related to the above post I decided to test those fuses quick. What do you know? The stepper microfuse was dead! *facepalm*

Swapped it for a fuse I knew was good and booted the printer. Nothing moved initially, so I turned the dial and hit the onscreen home button. I'll be damned! They Moved! Well... The Y tower went the wrong direction, but they all still moved! yay! Once I get that changed in the firmware I think I might actually be back in business! :D

Thanks for the help! I'll update with the final results once I get through the calibration process!
czecht
Plasticator

Post by czecht »

I'm in the same bucket, after upgrading my V1 to HE280 I can't get the X and Y to work at all!
BUT my printer was printing before so I don't understand why would I have all of these problems.
How did you fix it after all?
Harblar
Printmaster!

Post by Harblar »

Check and then triple check the fuses. Those micro ones can be hard to see and i could only tell one was bad after running a mulitmeter across them.

As for the Y axis direction, it's a firmware setting in the configuration h file. Cant remember specifically offhand, but it was just a matter of changing a 1 to a 0 or vice versa.

Double check that the x and y steppers are plugged in correctly and that they're not cut or shorted any where. Finally, I'd review the firmware file and ensure that all the printer specific settings are set correctly (printer model, psu type, hotend, etc...)

My printer is up and working, though I'm still having some minor calibration issues I'm trying to solve. After auto calibration and the delta wizard calibration the bed is a bit low at the Y tower and high between the X and Z. Say I print a 280mm disk single layer at .3mm layer height. at the Y tower the layer is around .45-.5mm and opposite that it is closer to .15-.2mm. Not terrible, My prints are comming out halfways decent, but it could be better.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”