Benchy - could someone help?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
bimmersix
Plasticator

Benchy - could someone help?

Post by bimmersix »

Hey everyone, I've steadily improving print quality since I started with a Rostock Max in Dec 2015. It has been a great printer.

One thing that always plagued me was stringing, probably due to the long bowden setup - even with 6mm+ retraction.

I figured out how to get the Max v2 to work with Cura 2.3.1 today and am really pleased with the results of "Coast" which completely eliminated stringing in my calibration prints. It needs a little fine tuning as I got a tiny bit of underextrusion on the coast travel.

My only real problem, which might not even be an issue, is that the extruder motor now clicks, without moving, at each place that Coast happens - I believe the extruder motor is slamming stopped or possibly trying to decelerate too quickly, although I turned accel down to 1500 with no change. It is almost the same sound as a skipped step. I believe it is printing correctly, but I am trying to eliminate a mechanical problem as causing the sound. I am using a 5.18/1 geared NEMA 17 motor. I've attached a gcode file with the coasting enabled, for a Max v2 with PLA (200/50). If anyone has suggestions, or could try to print a few layers of the Benchy gcode to see if your extruder does it too, it would be appreciated.
Attachments
RMV_3DBenchy (3).gcode
(3.79 MiB) Downloaded 179 times
bimmersix
Plasticator

Re: Benchy - could someone help?

Post by bimmersix »

I am in the "trial" period of S3D, and believe it or not I like Cura 2.3 about the same, with a few exceptions, and this is one of them. The gcode generated by S3D with Coast got rid of the strings and doesn't cause the extruder to click like the Curator gcode.

I'm just not very well versed in gcode, still need help from one of the pros here. I can post comparison code if needed.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”