Weird Issue

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Weird Issue

Post by gibeaug »

Just finished building my 2nd V2 (bought it 2 yrs ago on Black Friday and just got around to having time to build it ;-)). Did get the ball-arm and injection cheapskate upgrades.

When I finished it - and power it on - the LCD flashes, the PSU fan spins for a few seconds, then nothing (fan stops and nothing on the LCD).

When I prep PC power supplies for projects like this - I usually go in and de-solder all the unused wires so they are not in the way (leaving yellow, black and the green).

Anyone ever see this issue before?

(on a side note - bought the v3 this black Friday, and have it started - sure is a lot easier so far ;-))

TIA

George
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Weird Issue

Post by Xenocrates »

This sounds like a power supply which is actually using the V-sense wires. In all likelihood, you will need to reconnect any V-sense wires either externally or internally to keep it from shutting down. I had a similar issue pulling un-needed wiring from an AX-760 and fixed it that way.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

Thank you for the quick response. I was afraid it might be something like that. Will have to find the schematic for the version of the PSU they included with my kit.

I know in the past on some PSU's I had to solder in a jumper to keep things going. I do not relish the disassembly required to be able to do that ;-(
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

The PSU is a Diablotek 600W
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

In the long run, you'd be better off replacing the ATX power supply with the single rail supply that was shipped with the later revision v2 and current v3 machines.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

Thanks Gene.

Finished my V3 over the weekend and already have it printing - really like all the difference between the V2 and V3 (cabling, top of rack wiring, injection molded parts, auto calibration, etc).

Is there a specific model that I should get that will fit the old style bottom panel in place of the PC PSU footprint (I hope this makes sense)
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

there really isn't one that has the same form factor, however here's the kit for the upgrade from Seeme: clickme
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

Thanks for the link - I did not even think to look at their site - doh!!! ;-)
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

Ordered the PSU replacement kit from SeeMeCNC - it arrived today.

I have the assembled Max on its side and have removed the lower bed bottom - disconnected and removed old PSU and switch.

Are there any instructions on how to do an in place PSU replacement/upgrade after the Max is already assembled? I did grab the drill hole template - but want to make sure I have orientation and wiring correct.

TIA

-George-
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

I too have a new PSU coming for my V2. When I ordered it I asked about install instructions. JJ from SeeMeCNC tech support pointed me to the Current V2 build manual and said that was the best they had. It looks good enough to me too. He also said he would not bother with drilling the holes but instead use velcro to secure the PSU to the bottom. He said the old supply is removed out the bottom. Bottom put back on and the new one goes in from the side.

Hope that helps.

Mine is supposed to get here tomorrow so I will be doing it soon.

Dale
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

If you experience difficulties with that approach, I was at least the second person to unscrew and lift the top plate of the base. It all fits tightly enough that it's fiddly and I'm going to need a full recalibration for large prints to be properly leveled again, but it did ultimately work.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

George,
I got mine in the mail today. The PSU long wires (12, 14, and 23 inch) were all missing. I wonder if yours came that way too. I found some spares around the shop.
Dale
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

Mine came with the short wires needed to connect from the switch to the AC outlet to the PSU, and the ones that daisy chain on the power adapter plug on the Rambo.

I had some spare 18 GA left from my V3 build - so I used that to go from the Rambo plug back to the PSU.

Now, everything is working just fine (or at least it does all the basic calibrations) have not run any tset prints yet.

Now, my wife just gives me looks now that I have 3 Rostocks (2 V2's and a V3), a DropLit (V1) and a Prusa I built mostly from parts from Lowe's ;-) (it is a reminder if my philosophy - buy cheap, buy twice - - and it really does not work all that well - - but hey, at the time it was my first foray into the nascent world of 3D printing)
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

After replacing/upgrading PSU - I Initiated calibration procedures and started getting strange results.

Successfully cleared and flashed firmware with latest from GitHub (20161209). Changed configuration.h to represent new PSU (type 2) as well as V2 (printer 2)

Started and connected MatterController (1.6.1.7967) - and can heat hot end, heat bed, and jog X,Y,and Z and home.

Set Z height using paper method and LCD panel.

Pasted code from calibration for V2 instructions for Cal script - and here is where the weirdness starts;
It will go to center, then X, then center, then Y, then center - but will only go to Z about 1 out of 4 times I run the script.

Also - I cannot get extruder to function (Bondtech QR) - and have double checked wiring (per other threads regarding wiring - it is plugged into E1).

Anything I should check to see if I overlooked something simple?

TIA

-George-
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

George,
I can not offer any real help on your issue except to say that I got my new PSU installed and the system works just fine.

I would use matter control to manually move the head around. In your case moving in y direction should move it to and from the Z tower.

If it homes OK then all steppers are running correctly. If Y moves do not work I'm out of ideas because that does not make sense unless there wiring is intermittent.

Dale
gibeaug
Printmaster!

Post by gibeaug »

Everything manually works - including heated bed and hot end. Just weirdness in doing calibration scripts - and getting the Bondtech QR to actually extrude (or show any signs of life at all ;0)

Finally have some more time now that my students are on holiday break - will start disassembling and tracing wiring to see if it is anything obvious.

Thanks

-George-

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”