HE280 Hot End and Probe board on RMAX v2

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Re: HE280 Hot End and Probe board on RMAX v2

Post by TwoTone »

kraegar wrote:Hopefully Brian doesn't mind me tagging in here. Since I've been updating regularly for a while now, to keep up with the changes as they release them, here's what I change for my particular setup (rostock max v2, e3d v6, e3d titan) - your changes may vary.

Configuration.h:

Code: Select all

42: #define MOTHERBOARD 301 //RAMBO AJA
50: #define PRINTER 2 //Rostock Max v2 AJA
118: #define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 8 //changed to 8 for e3d v6 from default 97 AJA
123: #define EXT0_INVERSE 0 //changed to 0 from default 1 for titan AJA
258: #define MAXTEMP 290             //  this is the max allowable temp the hotend can be set at, any higher will trigger safety's // Changed to 290 from default 245 for e3d v6 AJA

To add probing any arbitrary point, I use the following for "case 30" (the bulk of the changes other than a closing brace are at the top) in commands.cpp:

case 30: // G30 single probe set Z0
    {
#if DISTORTION_CORRECTION
        float oldFeedrate = Printer::feedrate;
        Printer::measureDistortion();
        Printer::feedrate = oldFeedrate;
#else
        float sum = 0, sum1 = 0,last,oldFeedrate = Printer::feedrate, offsetmm = 0; //add ofsetmm = 0 AJA
        bool oldAutolevel = Printer::isAutolevelActive();
  if((com->hasS() && com->S == -1) && (com->hasX() && com->hasY())){
	Printer::homeAxis(true,true,true);
	GCode::executeFString(Com::tZProbeStartScript);
	Printer::setAutolevelActive(false);
	Printer::moveTo(com->X,com->Y,IGNORE_COORDINATE,IGNORE_COORDINATE,EEPROM::zProbeXYSpeed());
	sum1 = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); //First tap Y tower
        sum = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); //Second tap Y tower
        if ((sum1 - sum) > .1 || (sum1 - sum) < - 0.1){
          Com::printErrorFLN(Com::tZProbeFailed); //output to terminal Z probe failure
          sum = -1; // fail flag to stop probe
        }else{
            offsetmm = sum - Z_PROBE_BED_DISTANCE;
	    Com::printFLN(PSTR("Probed offset in mm "),offsetmm);
	}
  }else{
    //Back to normal seemecnc g30 AJA
    do{
        if(com->hasS() && com->S == 2){ // only reset eeprom if saving new value
        Printer::zLength = Z_MAX_LENGTH; // set Z height to firmware default
        EEPROM::storeDataIntoEEPROM(); // store default before calibration
        EEPROM::readDataFromEEPROM(); // would not take effect unless read!
        }
        GCode::executeFString(Com::tZProbeStartScript);
        Printer::setAutolevelActive(false);
        Printer::moveTo(0,0,IGNORE_COORDINATE,IGNORE_COORDINATE,EEPROM::zProbeXYSpeed());

sum1 = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); // First tap
          sum = Printer::runZProbe(true,false,Z_PROBE_REPETITIONS,false); // Second tap
          if ((sum1 - sum) > .1 || (sum1 - sum) < - 0.1){ //tap reports distance, if more or less than .1mm, it will re-run
              Com::printErrorFLN(Com::tZProbeFailed);
              sum = -1;
          }
    }while(sum < 1);
        if(com->hasS() && com->S)
        {
#if MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z
#if DRIVE_SYSTEM==DELTA
            //Printer::updateCurrentPosition();
            Printer::zLength += sum - Printer::currentPosition[Z_AXIS];
            Printer::updateDerivedParameter();
            //Printer::homeAxis(true,true,true);
#else
            Printer::currentPositionSteps[Z_AXIS] = sum * Printer::axisStepsPerMM[Z_AXIS];
            Printer::zLength = Printer::runZMaxProbe() + sum-ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_ON_HOME;
#endif
            Com::printInfoFLN(Com::tZProbeZReset);
            Com::printFLN(Com::tZProbePrinterHeight,Printer::zLength);
#else
            Printer::currentPositionSteps[Z_AXIS] = sum * Printer::axisStepsPerMM[Z_AXIS];
            Com::printFLN(PSTR("Adjusted z origin"));
#endif
        }
        Printer::setAutolevelActive(oldAutolevel);
        if(com->hasS() && com->S == 2)
            EEPROM::storeDataIntoEEPROM();
        Printer::updateCurrentPosition(true);
        printCurrentPosition(PSTR("G30 "));
        GCode::executeFString(Com::tZProbeEndScript);
#endif
    }
    } //close my if AJA
    break;
Those are the only changes I need to make before I upload my firmware and start calibrating / printing.

Edit: to probe an arbitrary point, then, you have to send a G30 S-1 X0 Y0.... the S-1 is what triggers my bits to run, otherwise it's just the standard seemecnc implemented bits. I did that so I didn't break any instructions they provide. Here's my 10 probe points to use with the Delta Least Squares page here: http://escher3d.com/pages/wizards/wizarddelta.php (use a printable radius of 142.68, you want the tower probe hitting nearly straight down, or it's going to be way off).

G30 S-1 X0.0 Y142.68
G30 S-1 X123.56 Y71.34
G30 S-1 X123.56 Y-71.34
G30 S-1 X0.0 Y-142.68
G30 S-1 X-123.56 Y-71.34
G30 S-1 X-123.56 Y71.34
G30 S-1 X0.0 Y71.34
G30 S-1 X61.78 Y-35.67
G30 S-1 X-61.78 Y-35.67
G30 S-1 X0.0 Y0.0

May be better to take this to PM, not sure, but may help others to have it here.

Completely new to this so excuse the ignorance. I'm confused by your use of the website. From watching videos of other machine auto calibrating, I thought this would run a routine, hitting several points and store the needed settings and calibrate without further interaction.

By using the website, are you saying the probing is storing the nozzle height error for you to manually enter or you were just using it for the suggested probe points?

Thanks.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

TwoTone wrote: May be better to take this to PM, not sure, but may help others to have it here.

Completely new to this so excuse the ignorance. I'm confused by your use of the website. From watching videos of other machine auto calibrating, I thought this would run a routine, hitting several points and store the needed settings and calibrate without further interaction.

By using the website, are you saying the probing is storing the nozzle height error for you to manually enter or you were just using it for the suggested probe points?

Thanks.
SeeMeCnc built in a "4 point" probe. Once at each tower, once center, then again center, tower, center for horizontal radius. It does I think 6 total probes, all either right at the base of a tower, or at the center.

That works well, but I wanted better - and since I knew the delta least squares math is really good (it's what is in the duet) I used that web page, and added the firmware modification I listed so I can probe any point I specify. It's a much more manual process (probe a point, enter the result into the website, probe the next, etc through all 10 points), but gets me a flatter calibration.

Doing that isn't required, you can get decent results from the 4 point probe, but it will get you a "flatter" first layer. Worth it to me.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

kraegar wrote:And one more, sorry Brian!

Here's a video of the hotend probe hitting X0 Y0, and a custom point (G30 S-1 X123.56 Y71.34)

https://youtu.be/tRhgYBRGdhQ
Your fine, no problem with me, I appreciate your input.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Did you get the wiring sorted? Since I'm not using the entire hotend assembly, I only have the 5 wires required for the accelerometer connected.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

kraegar wrote:Did you get the wiring sorted? Since I'm not using the entire hotend assembly, I only have the 5 wires required for the accelerometer connected.
no, I have not had time. Been consumed with other projects.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Here is a render of the final rod ends we are having an injection mold made for.
Hope to have first run of parts in hand in about 3 weeks. :D
ball-joint-r2_v45(production)render.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

Any word on wiring? I have the new hot end on order and need to plan out installation. while i have the wire whip coming too, I think that is too short for my machine...unless I attempt to relocate the rambo to the top.
HComet
Prints-a-lot

Post by HComet »

Assembly instructions are now linked off the main site: http://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Step+1 ... ssembly/45

Waiting for my HE280 kit too....
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

picked up newest parts this morning, assembling hot end and wiring now.
hope to have it installed and printing on my stock v2 tonight.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

I did a full write-up for those who want to use just the accelerometer, but not the HE280: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10757
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

kraegar wrote:I did a full write-up for those who want to use just the accelerometer, but not the HE280: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10757
Love the write up. I plan on using both the accelerator and HE280, but it gives me some ideas. Thanks!
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

kraegar wrote:I did a full write-up for those who want to use just the accelerometer, but not the HE280: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10757
I am waiting for a HE280 and a whip too.... All good ideas :)
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

bvandiepenbos wrote:picked up newest parts this morning, assembling hot end and wiring now.
hope to have it installed and printing on my stock v2 tonight.
Any updates on wiring?
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Finally got the probe board mounted up with a Prometheus hot end.
The probing works well, I am impressed.
Sure is quick and easy to swap heads back and forth from stock to Prometheus, thanks to the ball joints, plug on board and auto calibrate :D
20160916_033618.jpg
20160916_032339.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
DodgeDerek
Plasticator

Post by DodgeDerek »

I haven't gotten my accelerometer board wired up yet, but I made a 3D printable mounting solution for those with the 713Maker hot end hardware.

I should have the STL posted up to Thingiverse shortly. I printed mine in ABS. All it needed was some 8mm M3 bolts to attach the probe board to the mount.

Edit: Here is the Thingiverse part

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8172/29638445152_399b580a01_h.jpg[/img]

[img]https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8172/29668454851_17019ed60c_h.jpg[/img]

[img]https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8519/29750234165_33b5f2f691_h.jpg[/img]

Derek
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

If I were to get the accelerometer board for a mostly stock v2, would there be anything else I need?

Also, I'm assuming the pre made whip isn't long enough to make it all the way down to the Rambo on the v2 so I should just get the connector?
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Nice looking solution, Derek. Printing one now!
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Actually, a word of warning - shield your wiring in some way from rubbing on the edge of the board. Printed and did a quick test fit, and when I print at the back of the bed (with how my wires are oriented, yours may be different) the wires rub along the board.

I can tell you from experience it WILL saw through your hotend wires over time if you don't shield them from it somehow.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Qdeathstar wrote:If I were to get the accelerometer board for a mostly stock v2, would there be anything else I need?

Also, I'm assuming the pre made whip isn't long enough to make it all the way down to the Rambo on the v2 so I should just get the connector?
Looking for an answer, wanna put in a order :D
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Are you wanting to just use the accel probe, and not the HE280?

If so, then you just need the probe and a way to connect the wires. I ran cat6 ethernet (use stranded ethernet) for it, and plugged them into the quick connect connector for the probe board. You just need 5 wires.

Other than that, it's figuring out a way to attach it, and uploading the new firmware.

I posted about my experiences here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10757
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Cool.

I am also going to buy one one 713maker's effector and mounts and then print the above mount :)
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Seemecnc ships fast... I put my order in at about 1:00 and at 1:40 I had a notice that my order had shipped...

Maker713 said it takes 3-4 days to get everything together so probably won't start working on it till next week...

Did you just solder on DuPont connectors do the cat5 cable? I got some extra crimps and a crimping tool so I think I might go that route.. The wires in my DuPont cable are like 4 microscopic copper strands...
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

So, I got my HE280 hot end set today and was mulling over the wiring. I was looking over my wiring and I think I already have all the necessary wires in my stock V2. However, I just need a little clarification of a few points if possible.

The V2 has 8 wires running to the hot end, 2 for the hot end power, 2 for thermistor, and 4 for the 2 different fans (peek & layer). I have a red/black pair going to fan0 for the peek and a red/black pair going to Heat1 for the layer fan.

First, is PSOn going to be for the "Peek" fan now to keep it on all the time? Second Fan0 is the layer fan, correct?

If both of these are a yes, then I can take the other red/black pair and route them to the I2C connector and have a nice day...I hope.

Granted, I am going off of the whip wiring diagram for the V3, which I suspect should be the same for the v2.
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

Qdeathstar wrote:Seemecnc ships fast... I put my order in at about 1:00 and at 1:40 I had a notice that my order had shipped...

Maker713 said it takes 3-4 days to get everything together so probably won't start working on it till next week...

Did you just solder on DuPont connectors do the cat5 cable? I got some extra crimps and a crimping tool so I think I might go that route.. The wires in my DuPont cable are like 4 microscopic copper strands...

Our V3 came in today and we are milling the first prototype adaptor ring tonight. By the end of the week we should have them in production if all goes well and shortly thereafter also a solution for the stock V2 hotend folks (if any are left out there) to work with our mounts and effectors. We will also shortly have a full metal effector/mount for the HE280 hot ends as there are a number of reports that a metal effector tends to flex less and give better calibrations.
he280 ring1.jpg
he280 ring2.jpg
The new adaptor is full metal and of course can be anodized to any of the colors we offer. It offers a firm mounting for the HE280 calibration board and we are hoping to keep the price in the $5-8 range. It will of course be an option when buying one of our kits just as all our lock rings are currently.
http://713maker.com/ Custom aluminum and carbon fiber hot end mounts for the Rostock Max and Orion.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

well, I already put in an order earlier today... so what should I do?

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”