Error:Printer set into dry run mode until restart

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Hammbone
Plasticator

Error:Printer set into dry run mode until restart

Post by Hammbone »

Ok ladies and gents... I need your assistance. I have a Prometheus V2 currently installed and have been having problems with my hot end heating above 270. Everything appears to be working properly until the temperature hits about 272 then the printer goes into a dry run and the temp settings on the LCD show "def". In searching the forums, it is my understanding that the "def" reading is due to a short in the thermosistor (either a bad thermosistor, bad connection, or a bad board) but it appears my thermosistor is working correctly at all other temperatures. In looking at the temp readings at room temperature, they appear correct. I have not checked the temp with a thermocoupler yet or the resistance with an ohm meter yet but plan to do it tomorrow. Here are some pictures of my LCD at room temperature, along with pictures of my thermometer. I have a wireless gauge mounted at the top of the printer.

Thoughts>.....???

[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/CrashHammbone/20160529_103039_zpsjqwmhvhr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/CrashHammbone/20160529_121622_zps0ik3dkmx.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/CrashHammbone/20160529_121646_zpsb3ns9fow.jpg[/img]
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Error:Printer set into dry run mode until restart

Post by Nylocke »

What is probably going on is there are hard temp limits in the firmware, one for min temp and one for max temp, and if the thermistor reads outside of these ranges it considers the thermistor to be defective or nonexistent. You probably changed the max temp that you can set to be outside of this failsafe range in the config.h file.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

It may also be that if you're using a thermistor with a table rather than a beta value, that you hit the top of the table, thus it has no samples to interpolate between. You may also be getting to temperatures where the resistance of the thermistor is low enough that the board can't really discern much about it. Have you calibrated your thermistor against a thermocouple? I know that polygonhell has experienced 20 degree offsets consistently at temperature with E3D thermistors versus the datasheet beta, as that is intended for readings at and around room temperature. It's not hard to imagine that you have a measuring error there due to a similar case, and that it's getting close enough to 300C that it has essentially no resistance to speak of.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Hammbone
Plasticator

Post by Hammbone »

Nylocke wrote:What is probably going on is there are hard temp limits in the firmware, one for min temp and one for max temp, and if the thermistor reads outside of these ranges it considers the thermistor to be defective or nonexistent. You probably changed the max temp that you can set to be outside of this failsafe range in the config.h file.

Ah... Thank you. So it seems that when I upgraded my hot end I set my MAXTEMP to 300 but didn't change my MAX_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE for thermistor. It was still set at 270. That would explain it.

What do you suggest I set my defect temp to?
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I would set max temp to 290 or 295, and the defect to 305 or 210. I keep them about 15C apart for overshoot
Hammbone
Plasticator

Post by Hammbone »

Nylocke wrote:I would set max temp to 290 or 295, and the defect to 305 or 210. I keep them about 15C apart for overshoot
Awesome! Thank you. I will make those changes and should be good to go.
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

I get the same error when I print with a particular batch of pla. I am only at temps between 190 and 200. It happens after 50 minutes to an hour. The printer keeps on printing but the extruder stops so nothing is happening. Anybody have any ideas about what is causing this?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

ivanhandler wrote:I get the same error when I print with a particular batch of pla. I am only at temps between 190 and 200. It happens after 50 minutes to an hour. The printer keeps on printing but the extruder stops so nothing is happening. Anybody have any ideas about what is causing this?

Do you have the same hotend and printer? Off the cuff, it may be that your retraction setting is to high for PLA.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

Hmm,
my retraction is 8.9 mm which is in range for a delta with a long bowden tube (I have a Rostock Max v3). I guess I will play with that a bit too. What is weird is that I just bought Simplify3D because MatterControl can't handle the large files I want to print. I can print the retraction cubes from Matter Control with no problem, but I get same behavior (I don't see the error from S3D, but I do see the "def" setting on both temperatures on the lcd so I assume it's the same error) after about 20 minutes and it is always the same with this file. I also am printing with an extruder multiplier of 1 in MC which works just fine but in S3D it is down to .93 since at 1.0 there is way too much material being extruded. Any other ideas? Thanks
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

You're jamming the hot end with that 8.9mm retract. The HE280 needs to be treated like the all-metal version of the E3D - retracts between 1-4mm and no more than 40mm/sec. retract speed.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”