What PSU can fit in the base of Rostock Max V2?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
noishi
Prints-a-lot

What PSU can fit in the base of Rostock Max V2?

Post by noishi »

My stock power supply has been slowly dying on me, and I figure it is time to retire it for an upgrade. I have been reading online about various options between 12v and 24v and a wide range of available options. There is a wealth of information out there, but I am having trouble distinguishing which units people are running in the base of the rostock verses as an external unit. I would like to keep the PSU mounted internally, and wondering which PSU will fit nicely. I'm mainly interested in ~500W+ 12v units, but if there are 24v units that can fit all complementary hardware I would be interested to know as well.

1) What PSU are you running?
2) does it fit inside of the base?
3) were any modifications made to mount the PSU?
4) any photos, tips from your experience, ect is appreciated!

Thanks!
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Re: What PSU can fit in the base of Rostock Max V2?

Post by CodonExe »

I am using two 12v 29amp standard power supplies (S-400-12) stacked with a 6mm spacer for air flow from the bottom supply(i have the stl if needed), wired in series where the bottom supply still provides the needed 12v and the top supply provides the 24v for my SSR that supplies the heated build plate. Total cost is around $50-$100 but requires opening the supplies up and isolating the grounding system of each unit. If you go with a good 24v like a meanwell (s-400-24) could cost much much more and you would still need to buy a 24v to 12v DC-DC converter.

Both fit in the base of Rostock Max V2.
Rostock Max V2, Duet Wifi, IR Probe, PanelDue 7" LCD, Heated Enclosure, Firestop cans, Thermally Fused 12v E3D V6, Berd Air, Floating Thermally fused 24v Bed, Aluminum heat spreader, PEI, Dual 12v PSUs in series.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

I upgraded to the Mean Well RSP-750-24 power supply with a 24 to 12V step down transformer. Make sure you use a good SSR if you so choose. Here is a link to all the products I used/bought/photos!!

Everything nicely fits in the base!!

At 24V, my print bed heats to 100 degrees faster than my HotEnd (which is 12V)!!! :D

(http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 125#p86387)
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

Stega Saurus and TRex have fit a large PC PSU, an EVGA SuperNOVA 1300G2, and subsequently, fit a MeanWell RSP-750-24 (along with 12V step-down and SSR) in the printer base. Both projects required removing the bottom plate.

The next dinosaur printer project will definitely put the 24V outside the printer, so it can be built into a code-compliant power box. Having the AC terminals so close to the DC wiring isn't great. The two power levels should in separate compartments with a dividing wall. That would be a lot easier to accomplish outside of the printer base and run a 24V line into the printer.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

How good do you consider yourself with electrics? The computer style psu's are safer if you think you have the possiblilty to electrocute yourself. If not the 12V ones (can be tuned to 15V or so) and the 24 v ones (can be tuned to 20V) should be good.

I use the stock psu inside the max v2 and an aux 24V one dangling on the outside.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I have managed to fit a CX750 and a AX760 in the base without removing the plates, so long as it originally used a ATX supply. You could also use the CX850, as it uses the same components board and case (You learn a lot from the silk screens. I think the major difference is a single fuse and the modular plug board)

Personally I plan to have 24V aux power from an external PSU, so that I can keep the power draw slightly lower in some cases (Hotels have pretty terrible wiring. We watched someone trip breakers by turning on lights in a hospitality space (We only had 2 crockpots on warm and a trio of coffee makers on that circuit), so I think a 800W draw plus the projectors ETC in a meeting room would toast that pretty well), as well as for UPS endurance.

Depending on what you've built into your printer, I might suggest that you go head and use an industrial supply (Presuming that you feel safe with wiring and mains voltage), so long as you don't have anything that draws 5V or 3.3 (I do, so I'm stuck with an ATX supply or a pile of tiny aux supplies). It will be cheaper, and while most aren't actively regulated, that means you can tweak your voltages if you want to.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
noishi
Prints-a-lot

Post by noishi »

Thanks for sharing! :D Wow I had no idea such large PSU could fit in the base. For some reason I though doubling the power output would require roughly double the space. I am comfortable enough with electrical systems to set up a dedicated PSU than PC one. For 700w+ systems, how is the noise while printing compared to the stepper motors?

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”