Hello I'm building a custom rostock max v2 and I need a little help.

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hello I'm building a custom rostock max v2 and I need a little help.

Post by Xenocrates »

Since you plan on doing dual extrusion, my gut would be a left and a right Bondtech, so they can sit together. It doesn't really matter though. Paneldue mount is not going anywhere particularly fast right now, as it's been slightly insane around here.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Northspire
Prints-a-lot

Post by Northspire »

I know that feeling. No worries.
Machines:
Rostock V2 Meanwell SP 750-24 Power Supply,710n Nano W/l Router,E3D Chimera Hot-End,713 Maker Effector and Hot-End Mount,Duet 0.8.5,Bondtech QR Extruder,PanelDue W/ 7 Inch T/S,Mini IR Height Sensor,24V Heated Bed With SSR,46 Quart Dry Box.
Northspire
Prints-a-lot

Post by Northspire »

ok I was playing around with the placement of the power supply earlier and the fit is tight. Tight to the point I'm thinking maybe a external power supply enclosure would be a good idea. Any suggestions? by the way I have a meanwell sp 750-24
Machines:
Rostock V2 Meanwell SP 750-24 Power Supply,710n Nano W/l Router,E3D Chimera Hot-End,713 Maker Effector and Hot-End Mount,Duet 0.8.5,Bondtech QR Extruder,PanelDue W/ 7 Inch T/S,Mini IR Height Sensor,24V Heated Bed With SSR,46 Quart Dry Box.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Being that you have a working printer, one concept is shown at https://reprappro.com/documentation/men ... er-supply/

On the ones I've designed for my upgrades, I've added a walled channel for access to the voltage adjustment screw without removing the cover.
Northspire
Prints-a-lot

Post by Northspire »

I was wondering what filament the forums recommend. Is seemecnc brand any good or should I go with something else? Nothing exotic just abs and pla for now I might branch out when I get more experience.
Machines:
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I've used SeemeCNC, Designshop, and Hatchbox filaments primarily. personally. Of those, I recommend SeemeCNC, but would (And do) use the other two as they are rather cheap. Hatchbox red ABS should be avoided, as I have yet to see a spool of that print properly, and it has many noted issues. Even with a chamber and PEI on the bed I couldn't get it to lay down properly.

Other filament manufacturers I would trust:
E3D everyday: They have nothing to gain and much to lose if their filament doesn't work when they cut corners, and they test extensively and dogfood their own products. While I haven't used them, as shipping plastic from Britain doesn't make sense when I have a filament producer ~40 minutes drive away and fairly extensive stocks of other filaments, they have very good reputations. I hear very nice things about their XT-20 carbon fiber filament, and it uses the excellent Amphora resin.

Proto-pasta: I have a handful of 500G samples from kickstarters. I haven't used them yet, but like E3D they use and test their own products, and they consistently push the envelope on new varieties of filament.

Taulman: They are nylons. If you need a nylon, or most other engineering grade plastics, they have what you need. They have some fairly extensive datasheets on each filament they sell, and if your printer is up to it, they live up to them very well. I have several spools waiting for a need for them.

3DXtech: They have colored nylon, and exotic engineering plastics (PEI, PEEK, glass fill, carbon fiber PEEK anything you need). They are also local to me, and have some really cool materials available. I have a few spools of their stuff to work with, and the college lab is working on a relationship with them for filament. They also offer free shipping above 50$ for the entire CONUS.

Note though that I've only listed high-end/high performance manufacturers. If you don't need things to be perfect and consistent, then Hatchbox, Inland, or Designshop should do OK. There are plenty of other filament vendors, and I'm sure that if you ask much about it, people will be more than happy to share any experience they have with a particular manufacturer.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”