Height of hotend when paused

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
klarson18
Plasticator

Height of hotend when paused

Post by klarson18 »

I would like to raise the height of the hotend if the print is paused. How can I do this? It currently seems to only go up about 25 or 30mm. I would like double that.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Height of hotend when paused

Post by Captain Starfish »

The exact how depends on what host software you're using. MatterControl has a custom g-code section in the settings for the printer where you can enter code for pause, resume and cancel.

I do it by sending the G-code (not available to me where I am today, sorry) to put the printer into incremental mode, then send Z up by 100mm. The resume drops by 100mm and returns to absolute mode.

Doing it this way means you don't have to know where the thing was when you paused - and "put current coordinates into a variable and let me do some maths on them" is AFAIK well outside the scope of G-Code programming. Only gotcha? If you're printing something that gets within 100mm of the homing switches, this will break everything.
Johncoffee
Printmaster!

Re: Height of hotend when paused

Post by Johncoffee »

Captain Starfish - you might be able to assist me here: I'm looking for a instruction how to do filament change during print with my Rostock Max V2. (maybe for a two color print)
According to this thread pressing Pause will lift the nozzle for some 25mm (or 100mm when using your suggested special G-Code). What is the best way to change the filament then?

I guess this is needed:
- press pause on Mattercontrol
- nozzle stops printing and lifts up 25..100mm
- disconnect the lower end of the PTFE tube at the hot end
- retract the filament by pressing the red lever and pulling the filament back until the end comes out of the hot end
- cut the end for about 1/2" (since the end seems somewhat thicker - and I don't want to pull the thick end back through the entire PTFE hose)
- pull the filament completely out
- replace filament
- feed it in again until it reaches the end of the still disconnected end of the PFTE
- once it comes out the hose push all back into the hot end.
- start extruding manually until material change is visible at the material when its coming out
- continue printing.

I haven't tried this procedure and I'm not sure whether it is correct?

Thanks for all comments here.

*John*

Add.
I've just check the PAUSE and RESUME G-Code of Mattercontrol:
Pause:
G91
G1 Z10 E-10 F12000
G90

and Resume:
G91
G1 Z-10 E10.8 F12000
G90

To change it to 100mm lift and back again I've changed both G1 commands to G1 Z100... and G1 Z-100 respectively.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”