Considering a Max Metal, but would like to make it black.

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
d1rron
Printmaster!

Considering a Max Metal, but would like to make it black.

Post by d1rron »

I was just wonder what would be the best, and most cost-efficient, way to make a Max Metal frame black -- or if it's even feasible without spending a ton. I know it's really not ultimately important, but if I'm going to rebuild my Rostock I'd like to make it as nice to look at as I can in the process. The only things I can think of are anodizing or powder coating, both of which sound pricey. Is there no way to do it without spending a ton?

Thanks for any advice!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all... we're only mortal."-JLP
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Re: Considering a Max Metal, but would like to make it black

Post by ccavanaugh »

d1rron wrote:I was just wonder what would be the best, and most cost-efficient, way to make a Max Metal frame black -- or if it's even feasible without spending a ton. I know it's really not ultimately important, but if I'm going to rebuild my Rostock I'd like to make it as nice to look at as I can in the process. The only things I can think of are anodizing or powder coating, both of which sound pricey. Is there no way to do it without spending a ton?

Thanks for any advice!
You can purchase a frame and an anodizing shop could strip the existing clear and re-anodize black. Sometimes the results can be a bit hit or miss and it will reduce the overall width by .002 - .003" depending on how thick the original was and how aggressive the shop is. If you are not in a hurry, they may be able to slip it in with another job and reduce cost a bit. Most shops have a tank at ready for black anodize.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Contact Trick Laser and see what Brian would charge to mill it out of stock that's already anodized.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Powder coating is actually not that expensive BUT you would probably not be able to use the stock carriages "wheel in slot". If you are going to use linear rails it would not be an issue. Anodizing parts like this would be expensive. I believe the raw stock comes in black in which case Brian might be able to make a few sets.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I know that 80/20 sells the stock in black (Assuming it's all standard 1IN T slot), and I remember seeing a Max metal frame with black and yellow components at MRRF (Another color 80/20 sells). I would email Brian and ask about it. There will likely be a cost premium, since 80/20 has one for the stock, and Brian likely does not keep a lot of it on hand, if any, and so would need to do a new order for it. I'm sure that he'll take your money if you want it enough.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Xenocrates wrote:I know that 80/20 sells the stock in black (Assuming it's all standard 1IN T slot), and I remember seeing a Max metal frame with black and yellow components at MRRF (Another color 80/20 sells). I would email Brian and ask about it. There will likely be a cost premium, since 80/20 has one for the stock, and Brian likely does not keep a lot of it on hand, if any, and so would need to do a new order for it. I'm sure that he'll take your money if you want it enough.
It is 1" stock from 80/20 for the uprights but the cross pieces are in a format that I am not sure who created it. I do feel that purchasing the kit is the best way to go because of all the drilling and milling of the cross pieces.
Any machine shop that does anodizing can strip the clear and redo them in black but as previously mentioned, the thickness tolerance could change. MHackney's idea to have Brian produce a custom kit in black would make the
most sense.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'm just going to pass on having it anodized if it'll screw with the dimensions/accuracy. Also Brian seems like a pretty busy dude and the frames are back-ordered as it is, I don't want to be the guy in the drive thru making an unnecessarily complicated order when there is a big line. I mean if there was more demand than just me I might suggest doing a run of them, but a one off request feels like I'm being a thorn and would probably have to pay more for the custom order than would be worth it.

Thanks again for all of the input!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all... we're only mortal."-JLP
jason128
Printmaster!

Post by jason128 »

You would be very unlucky, or have a very rough anodiser if having the existing natural anodising stripped did anything substantial (or even measurable with a vernier) to the dimensions.

the usual process is to soak the anodising overnight in alkaline cleaning solution to soften the existing, then run it through the line as usual.
you would probably loose 0.05mm off the surface, but it would be even, so should not effect anything.

If you want to send it half way round the world, i'd be happy to do it for you :)
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

Hah I can only imagine what that would cost. Just out of curiosity, in what country do you live? And you think it would be a negligible loss? It's admittedly not very important, I just thought it'd be neat to have black Max Metal -- of course I can make whatever parts I print for it black, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
bradjshannon
Printmaster!

Post by bradjshannon »

You could also spraypaint it, if my googling about is correct. My frame certainly feels paintable.
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

I considered that, but I'd imagine the paint would wear off where the trick truck wheels contact the vertical extrusions and may not be properly even with my spray painting ability. Lol
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Or vinyl wrap the non important parts. You can go pretty crazy with that stuff. Carbon fiber look?
Also, no harm in asking Brian. Maybe he'll say sure why not, or with the next order in6 months or simply no.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Glenn painted the cross pieces yellow for his build. He's been happy with the results.

https://www.facebook.com/themakerhive/v ... permPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I checked with Brian, and he doesn't think that the rectangular extrusions are available in black.
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

Now that you mention it, I suppose I'd only really care about the towers being black anyway since I can paint the rest without it affecting anything. Thanks for the link, That thing looks awesome!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Stripping the anodizing will make everything smaller by the thickness of the anodizing. Re-anodizing will grow some back, but not more than .001" per side unless you ask for more - then it might be a custom batch. It still looks good stripped and re-anodized. I've done it many times.
bob64
Printmaster!

Post by bob64 »

Not sure if the part number listed on the metal max description is incorrect or not because part 1003 goes to a completely different dimension profile but going by the dimensions ... i found a black version of the part I think he's using?
https://8020.net/shop/2012-black-fb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: looks like he mixed up the part numbers on the page. So yeah, they do make a black version.
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

Oh, no kidding! Nice! I may have to inquire about that then.
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

I sent Brian a PM, I'll update with what he says in case anyone is curious about this in the future.
d1rron
Printmaster!

Post by d1rron »

So they don't offer the same extrusions in black (with one side closed) and the other pieces would be special order so he's not interested in offering a black version. I can't say I blame him with it being backordered as it is. Thanks for all of the replies!
bob64
Printmaster!

Post by bob64 »

https://8020.net/shop/1003-black-fb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Welllll technically they do offer it, but I guess the special order part would still suck. I mean look at the diagram, 3 sides open, 1 closed.
Rostock Max V2 with mods:
E3d v6 with 713maker mount & e3d titan extruder
Tricklaser CF arms, heat spreader, tricktrucks, fly-n-strude, metal carriage & effector
Duet v.8.5.0
24v MeanWell 750w PS & Cydom D1D40 SSR in parallel with stock 12v PS
dchauran
Prints-a-lot

Post by dchauran »

I'd look at cerakote as another option. It's meant for firearms use, so it's pretty wear resistant, and it's only 1-2 mils thick. The blasting to prep the surface should be enough to compensate for that 1-2 mils.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”