Rostock MAX v2 with ABS: Part cooling fan?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

Rostock MAX v2 with ABS: Part cooling fan?

Post by JohnnyDude »

I recently finished my Rostock MAX v2 but I omitted a step. I did NOT install the part cooling fan because I only have ABS filament currently. I realize that the part cooling fan is not a good idea for ABS prints.

I would like to print with PLA sometime, though. And I'd like to install the fan now if I'm going to need it anyway. But at this point I'm confused about how I can control the part cooling fan once I install it. Is the operation of the part cooling fan controlled through slicers? Is it controlled in MatterControl? Adding to my concern is that I'd like to set up my printer with OctoPrint and a Raspberry Pi, and I'd like to make sure OctoPrint will be smart enough to keep the part cooling fan off as appropriate. I could set up an easy way to unplug the part cooling fan, of course, but I'd want to set that up now rather than later.

I'd appreciate any tips! :)
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock MAX v2 with ABS: Part cooling fan?

Post by KAS »

You might have that mixed up. ABS is for the fans, PLA is what you dont want for the fan prints. PLA melts at a lower temp.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

The layer fan is controlled by the settings in whatever slicing program you use. There are instances where you will want to use the layer fan with ABS, bridging being one of them.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

KAS wrote:You might have that mixed up. ABS is for the fans, PLA is what you dont want for the fan prints. PLA melts at a lower temp.
I think you're both right. You PRINT the fan shroud with ABS. You RUN the fan when you're printing PLA. Oi, English... :roll:

Yes, the slicer determines when the layer fan runs. It is easy to have the layer fan run (or not run) for a particular print.

If you were REALLY worried, follow the guide on how to hook it up with a JST connector and just unplug it when you don't want it. (But that is extreme and you won't have trouble anyway.)
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Audin
Plasticator

Post by Audin »

You can also control the fan through the LCD. This can be helpful if you notice overheating while printing 'pointy' parts of an object, for instance. Also, I use a fan for all spiral printing with ABS.
JohnnyDude
Prints-a-lot

Post by JohnnyDude »

BenTheRighteous wrote:
KAS wrote:You might have that mixed up. ABS is for the fans, PLA is what you dont want for the fan prints. PLA melts at a lower temp.
I think you're both right. You PRINT the fan shroud with ABS. You RUN the fan when you're printing PLA. Oi, English... :roll:

Yes, the slicer determines when the layer fan runs. It is easy to have the layer fan run (or not run) for a particular print.

If you were REALLY worried, follow the guide on how to hook it up with a JST connector and just unplug it when you don't want it. (But that is extreme and you won't have trouble anyway.)
Yes, that's correct, I'm mainly concerned about the use of the part cooling fan after I have it installed.

It's very helpful to understand that the slicer program will be able to control this. Thank you! I'll keep a watchful eye on those settings once I install the part fan.
drwho
Printmaster!

Post by drwho »

I agree with everything said here. I have found a couple very useful options for the layer fan when printing ABS
1. Use it when bridging as it helps with gaps, in addition to the 150% extrusion
2. Use for cooling short layer times at high speed. I typically run 90-120mm/s and small layers don't seem to cool enough with out the fan.

If I'm completely off base here please let me know. Not an expert like many on here, but this has been my experience.

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”