Newer Arduino versions that work?

Discussions related to the Rostock MAX v2
clytle374
Printmaster!

Newer Arduino versions that work?

Post by clytle374 »

My system has changed and can't use 1.6.0 or 1.6.11 due to a dependency on libreadline 6. Tried using 1.8.x and that doesn't work at all.

Can firmware be upgraded to a point where the new compilers work? I'm trying to avoid having an OS just for this

Thanks
cory
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Newer Arduino versions that work?

Post by geneb »

What operating system are you using?

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
clytle374
Printmaster!

Post by clytle374 »

Gentoo Linux
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Due to resource constraints, 1.6.0 is really the only choice. Newer versions of the compiler do things differently enough that it causes random crashes in the firmware.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

You could also potentially just upload the hex files for the firmware using the Atmel toolchain, or I believe that Arduino packs along some of the actual programming utilities with their IDE. A pre-compiled blob should work just fine unless Arduino is really messing up their toolchain.

That said, if you don't plan to use an accelorometer, you should be able to configure the latest version of Repetier to match your printer, and Repetier says that the latest versions are compatible with 1.8.5 and later versions of the IDE.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
clytle374
Printmaster!

Post by clytle374 »

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I'll try the latest version of Repetier.

If not I'll compile in 1.6.0 and look alternate routes to upload the he file. It's the avrdude built into the older Arduino ide that's broke.

Was almost thinking that I finally got my good excuse to get a duet board.

Thanks again
Cory
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

There is actually a precompiled V2 hex here

I'll tell you a few good excuses to get a duet board.

Network based controls and monitoring. If your printer is in another room (or like me, in an outbuilding), it can be invaluable to be able to to check on it, and you can embed a IP-camera feed into DWC, so it's all in one place.

Improved noise profile. If it's in the same room as you, or nearby, and running constantly, it makes a big difference. Especially the newer boards.

On-machine file storage. You can upload G-code, and likely configuration files to the printer, as well as being able to use an external SD card. In say, a school environment, printing with a USB tether isn't hugely reliable, as well as drivers often being restricted, while SD cards that are removable will often go missing, or be "borrowed" (Lab with 25 Taz 6's. We can find 8 of the 30+ SD cards that either came with the printers, or were bought for the lab less than 2 years in). Also means each machine can have it's slicer profile onboard, just in case.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
clytle374
Printmaster!

Post by clytle374 »

Yes, all good reasons. Just need a push to spend the money at the moment. I can still build the source fine, just can't connect to the board with the IDE.

I have to admit that I when trying to get dual extrusion with the Y adapter I spent so much time uploading firmware that I almost bought the duet just for the easy configuration.

For now I'll get try to configure the newer software, unless someone has config files available.

Thanks again
Cory

Return to “Rostock MAX v2”