emc2 help

A place for all things EMC/LinuxCNC
tom10122
Printmaster!

emc2 help

Post by tom10122 »

Tried experimenting with emc2 just to see it, i like alot of the program, especially the 3d model viewer, when i go to start printing nothing happens with the printer, i tried the parellel port tester, the motors didnt move but you could definitley hear that it was doing something. I think my config is fine, any ideas
jcugnoni
Plasticator

Re: emc2 help

Post by jcugnoni »

Hi Tom,

I have detailed all steps to configure emc2 for the H1 here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=604

Following these instruction, you should get a working emc2 config and be able to generate gcode and print from linux.
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Thanks, I already have it set up using that thread, what is it i need to do to start running g-code? I think i did it right, get it out of emergency/reset mode, power on then load the coode and run right? Am I missing anything?, It doesn't move when i use hotkeys either, the lines on the 3d model move but my machine doesn't
jcugnoni
Plasticator

Post by jcugnoni »

Ok I see more clearly what you need now.

What I usually do before starting to print is:
-power on all electronics + set thermostat for hot end
-Launch Linuxcnc with the right config from the shortcut on the desktop
-Load a gcode
-press F1 then F2 to disable emergency stop and power on the motors. You should ear a buzz sound form each stepper at this stage. If you try to move the table or the x-carriage by hand, you should feel a very strong resistance due to the activation of the stepper motors
-move to center X using left-right arrow keys on the keyboard, press Home to set zero location
-move to center Y using up-down arrow keys and press Home
-move Z axis with pg up/down keys to set zero Z. I use a sheet of paper folded in two as a spacer between nozzle and bed. You will need to reduce the jog speed with the slider to achieve a good accuracy. Once you feel that you cannot move the paper freely, press Home to set zero Z. Then go up again to avoid burning the bed.
-in the gui, select A axis. using +/- buttons feed your filament until it comes out of the nozzle properly. Remove the extruded plastic
- press play to start printing

Here are some addiionnal questions if your machine does not want to move:
1) which control board do you use: 3 axis Tb6560 + easydriver for extruder or 4 axis board? My instructions in the other post are for 3axis board+easydriver. The pin layout of the 4axis board is different and needs to be adjusted in stepconf.
2) In stepconf: can you try to move the axis in the Test window? does the machine move in this mode?
3) when trying to move the axis in linuxcnc (with arrow keys) do you ear the "ringing" sound of the stepper motors?

Hope this helps...
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Thanks, i Have the 4-axis board. So would ALL my pinouts be different?Or atleast different enough to stop it from working? I'll look around for that config.
jcugnoni
Plasticator

Post by jcugnoni »

The pin out is fairly different, so i have updated my initial post with what should be the correct settings... but not tested yet.

See here http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 2608#p2608

Let me know if it works and if you need to invert some direction pins

Return to “EMC2/LinuxCNC”