Mach 4-Axis Board Configuration

All things related to Mach3 CNC software
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Mach 4-Axis Board Configuration

Post by mhackney »

Here is my Mach configuration file for the Chinese 4 Axis (TB6560) boards. These are low cost on eBay and after correcting the opto isolator issue by removing and jumping them, they work great on this machine with lots of torque on X, Y, X AND A.
SeeMeCNC-H1-4AxisBoard.xml.zip
(31.76 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times
Note that you will have to unzip the file after downloading - the forum does not allow XML nor would it accept this if I changed the file extension to TXT.
01-Port Setup Tab.jpg
02-Motor Output Tab.jpg
03-Input Signals Tab.jpg
04-Input Signals Lower.jpg
05-Output Signals Tab.jpg
06-X Motor.jpg
07-Y Motor.jpg
09-A Motor.jpg
10-General Logic.jpg
Make sure to setup Mach for Native Units of millimeters. Also, your motor tuning may vary. I am still tweaking my A (extruder) so this one may be off.

Cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Tony Woollacott
Plasticator

Re: Mach 4-Axis Board Configuration

Post by Tony Woollacott »

I was wondering about this opto isolator issue on the Chinese drivers. I have been using one of these 3 axis drives for a while now on my mill and have had no issues. Are these issues only experienced when 3D printing or should I consider making the mods on my mill as well?

Regards, Tony
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Tony, there is a LOOOONG thread on these boards over on the CNCForum. Go there and search for the TB6560 (or google it). Even with a mill, you should probably make the changes. I got a 4 axis board and had to make the changes on it as well. It is a design flaw and the opto isolators do not actually isolate! So there is no harm in removing them. Some guys actually fix the problem with additional circuitry piggybacked on. But worse case, you blow your parallel port and have to get a $40 replacement. BUT, I have not heard of a single incident of someone blowing their port after making this mod.

I'm going to use my 3 axis board on a little Sherline lathe I converted many years ago with a now no longer made or supported driver. I want to run Mach on it.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Tony,

I think it has something to do with the power of your parallel port as well. We had our prototype machines running just fine with the optos installed. However, some computers have weaker power (milliamp wise) ports, and those are the culprits I'd assume in not having the oomph to push through the opto. Also, a reason I think that the 3D printing side of these boards makes this flaw stand out is the speeds at which we are printing and moving our machines. I'd bet it's safe to say you don't rapid your mill at 1200 in./min rapid speeds do you? (that's about 16,000 pulses per second on the P-port) So, maybe with a slower pulse stream because of the slower movements, the missed steps etc... don't happen as often obviously? I agree 100% with mike, go ahead and do it to your mill. You will notice a difference I bet.
Tony Woollacott
Plasticator

Thanks very much for your replies, sorry for the slow response but I have been away.
Everything you have said makes perfect sense. Do you think that the fact I have not made these mods would cause the machine to run slower than it could? I would love to get those steppers revving quicker ;)
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

It most certainly does! with the weak optos on the board, your motors will "stall" and generally act up as you increase the speed. It's not really the motors or the driver chips, but rather the signal can't travel fast enough through the optos, and it will start missing steps, skewing etc...

BTW, mike, I have .xml posting enabled, but it's a known form of attack, so hmm
Tony Woollacott
Plasticator

Wow, just got round to doing the mod on the week-end and what a difference. When you said I could get more motor speed I was expecting 10 or 20 % at best. I got 110% on X, 90% on Y and a whopping 280% on Z,
Thanks very much for this massive improvement.
One more thing I would like to know is do you have a picture of the mod for a 4 axis board? I would love to get that one sped up as well.
Thanks again,
Tony
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

are these the boards that come with the h=1 kit?
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

tom, John here. Yes sir, we are now shipping the H-1's with the 4 axis versions. It will make it easier not having to wire up the easydriver for sure.
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

Here's a photo of the 4 axis board with jumpers installed
SeeMeCNC 4 axis HY-TB4DV-M
SeeMeCNC 4 axis HY-TB4DV-M
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
seemeadmin
Site Admin

Post by seemeadmin »

SeeMeCNC user notes for the 4 axis HY-TB4DV-M 4 Driver Board.

This board is a common import and the manufacturer has some common problems. With only a little effort, you will find this a very reliable, powerful, and inexpensive control solution for your SeeMeCNC 3D Printer. This board makes SeeMeCNC machines the FASTEST available today!

There are no drivers, firmware, bootloaders, version concerns, etc. It's old school cool. Just plug into a desktop PC parallel port and begin.

===================================
Reference document about the 4 Axis Stepper Control Board:
SeeMeCNC_4axis_Stepper_Control_Board_HY-TB4DV-M.pdf
4 Axis Control Board LPT Notes HY-TB4DV-M
(125.77 KiB) Downloaded 1369 times

Copy the following XML file into your Mach3 installation folder. Right click, and extract. Close folder. Choose "Mach Loader" (should be on your desktop after download and install from Artsoft) and you will see this profile automagically listed. This will 'launch' Mach3 with all the right start up settings.
SeeMeCNC-H1-4Axis_extract_into_Mach3_folder.zip
Mach3 XML Profile for 4 Axis stepper control board_put into mach3 folder_setup for slic3r
(30.59 KiB) Downloaded 794 times

If your motors go 'dead' when you reset the e-stop, check this: Following MHackney's post screen shots above, and specifically referring to the "OUTPUT SIGNALS" tab on the "PORT & PINS" dialog box, you might need to reverse the "Active Low" settings. We had to do this on one of our PC's at SeeMeCNC headquarters. If the 'enable' pin and "Active Low" settings on these outputs are reversed, the stepper will receive power during an "Emergency Stop". Then turn off when the E-Stop is reset. Simply open the "PORTS & PINS" and go to the "OUTPUT SIGNALS" tab. Then reverse the setting under "Active Low" for each "Enable 1, Enable 2, Enable 3, Enable 4).
ports-n-pins "active low" is usually 'X'
ports-n-pins "active low" is usually 'X'

Setting your axis calibration is pretty easy. Don't feel overwhelmed at all the settings. However, you should refer to the Mach documentation.

Look right above the emergency stop reset button. "Set Steps per Unit". You will choose an axis, move a specified amount, measure, then enter actual distance moved. Mach will make adjustments to your motor tuning 'steps per' based on your data entry.
settings axis calibration screen
settings axis calibration screen

And a photo of the 4 axis stepper control board.

DIP SWITCHES IN THIS PHOTO ARE SET to go with the 'Mach-Loader' Profile above. The A axis for extruder (not spindle) is Slic3r ready! The photo also shows jumpers installed on a HY-TB4DV-M:
SeeMeCNC 4 Axis Controller HY-TB4DV-M   with jumpered optos
SeeMeCNC 4 Axis Controller HY-TB4DV-M with jumpered optos

~PartDaddy~
Tony Woollacott
Plasticator

Fantastic, thanks very much.
seemeadmin
Site Admin

Post by seemeadmin »

Some Slic3r Profiles to get you printing:

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=641
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

Currently working on the jumpers settings for the 4 axis board. What did you use for the jumpers? Kinda looks like staples. Also wondering what the top jumper setting is, hard to see PIC attached.

Thanks for all your help,

Mtizle
Attachments
2012-05-23.jpg
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

Looking at the 4 Axis board the 12v and Ground terminals have 3 wires connected. Just to make sure I have the correct wires connected they are as follows:

12V Terminal
1 from power supply
2 from Thermostat

Ground
1 from power supply
1 from Heat resistor (Hot end resistors)
1 Thermostat

Pic included

Thanks for any help,

Mtizle
Attachments
2012-05-23_1.jpg
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey mitzle. John here. You will want to bring 3 yellow 12V lines from the PS and 3 black gnd lines from the PS to the 3 axis board. Run seperate power/ground lines from the PS to the heater board, this will help with any signal interference. The axis board can be "noisy" and running the lines from the PS seems to eliminate this. Also, your hot end resistors ground wire comes back down and doubles up on the thermostat boards ground wire. That's fine. And you should have a jumper from the thermostat board going into the COM (center lug) on the relay terminals, and then the NO terminal runs up to the other side of the heating resistors.
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

And you should have a jumper from the thermostat board going into the COM (center lug) on the relay terminals, and then the NO terminal runs up to the other side of the heating resistors.
Can you give me a visual example of this? Don't really understand the procedure. Took a look at the thermostat board and I think in my wiring diagram has it this way.

Mtizle
Last edited by mtizle on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

Created an updated Wire diagram for the 4 Axis board. Added jpg and pdf files. Wanted to add the visio file also but not allowed. Next will be the 4 axis Jumper and Dip switch settings. Edit Diagrams Verified.

Mtizle
Attachments
Seemecnc 4 Axis Board Wiring Diagram.jpg
Seemecnc 4 Axis Board Wiring Diagram.pdf
(164.94 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
Last edited by mtizle on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

4 Axis Board Dip switch and Jumper Settings Diagram. Settings were taken from photo found on this post by Seemecnc admin. Would it be alright to use solid core wire for the Jumpers? Looks like you used some kind of staple or solid core material. Edit - Diagrams Verified - Went ahead and used 22 gauge solid core wire for Jumpers, added a pic of my finished board with Dip and Jumper settings.

Mtizle
Attachments
SeemeCNC 4 Axis Board Dip Switch and Jumper Settings Diagram.jpg
SeemeCNC 4 Axis Board Dip Switch and Jumper Settings Diagram.pdf
(207.99 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
My 4 Axis Board.jpg
Last edited by mtizle on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

Anyone have a Motor Tuning profile for the Z axis? On the first page of this post are X, Y, and A but no Z.

Mtizle
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Ok, Here is my Z Axis tuning. It's been working great for me.
ZAxis.jpg
cheers,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

Thank you so much,

Mtizle
mastercaster
Noob

Post by mastercaster »

Can we please have a mach3 setup and board swich setting post.. Official Post.

I know I should know everyones name, but at the moment I don't. So I don't know who to listen to.

The current posts don't seem to match. So PLEASE post an official setup in the document area, where the manuals are. It will releave the frustration.

Alan
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Unfortunately, we can't post the Mach XML file here. I wrote the manuals and the configs in this thread that I posted are what I'll put in the 4 axis Electronics Manual. Just look at my screen shots at the start of the thread. I inadvertently left out the z motor tuning, that was posted yesterday.

Cheers,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mtizle
Prints-a-lot

Post by mtizle »

Mastercaster all diagrams posted by me have been verified to be working diagrams.

Mtizle
Attachments
SeemeCNC 4 Axis Board Dip Switch and Jumper Settings Diagram.jpg
Seemecnc 4 Axis Board Wiring Diagram.jpg

Return to “Mach3 Software”